Temperature stuck at cold

Old December 28th 04, 06:04 AM
davidgmg

same problem. Its pretty common as an indication of a stuck thermostat.
Costs about $180 if a dealer fixes it.

Old December 28th 04, 03:32 PM
Big Shoe

You don't say what the dealer included in the $180 quote, but my guess
would be flushing and filling the cooling system with new anti-freeze
mixture as well as replacing the thermostat.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 00:04:32 -0500, "davidgmg"

Old December 28th 04, 05:25 PM
Big Bill

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:09:10 -0600, "John Riggs"
> wrote:

> I've been doing it since I was 16, Jim. It really doesn't take much
>longer than that, including purging any air caught in the system, but I
>guess there are those things that happen.

You, working on your own car in your driveway, can afford to do it the
quick, easy way. If it goes wrong, you can simply blame yourself, and
fix it right.
The mechanic can't afford to do that. When the customer comes back
with a complaint, it must be fixed, and for free. And if the customer,
being totally unaware of the fact that problems don't fix themselves,
continues to drive the car until it breaks, guess what? The mechanic
has to fix THAT for free, too. This gets expensive,and, if the
mechanic works for a shop instead of being self-employed, he may find
himself non-employed if this happens too much. So the mechanic (and
the shop) will develop procedures for each job that may seem excessive
too the shadetree mechanic, but are necessary nonetheless. And they
cost more, of necessity.
> What ever happened to the days when boys were taught these things in
>school?

They still are, in many schools.
Not the "prestigious" schools, though, but the ones you don't hear
about.
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 29th 04, 02:54 AM
John Riggs

Yes, I know....and I have worked as a mechanic in the past as well. What
I really like to see people do is spend the $15 on repair manuals for their
vehicles. I always have, and the only time I take my vehicles to a shop is
when it is more than I am able to do with what I have, experience and/or
tool-wise

Old December 29th 04, 10:10 AM
Jim Warman

One thing I keep repeating.... it ain't me saying how much it's going to
cost. It's the car doing that, I'm just the messenger.

I live a comfortable life.... I'm certainly not rich (in the monetary
sense). My retirement fund will have me living handsomely - but only if I
pass during the first week of my retirement. I have nice stuff but that's
only because I spend the time and effort to turn it into nice stuff. Now....
I can't understand how the guy down the street can expect to make it doing
repairs for less..... his ground beef costs the same as my ground beef....
I've never been able to swing a deal on Kraft Dinner.... even the dogs wont
eat Spam..... his mil-rate is the same as mine and his utilities cost the
same as mine. He may save some change by being part of the underground
economy.... this is the same underground economy that helps drive all our
taxes up. He may save some money by making you supply your own vaseline
(think about that one).... a $200 job is a $200 job, I don't care where you
go. The cheap guy is probably rolling the dice on your repair. Good for you
if you don't mind repeat failures, being stranded on the side of the road
when you can ill afford the time..... Some of these "inconveniences" can be
catastrophic if we can't afford them in our routine.

Some of my best paying jobs are the result of DIY efforts but I wont tell
anyone not to try. However (and you can check my posting history), I tell
folks time and time again that knowledge is power..... unfortunately, a
LITTLE knowledge can be dangerous.

Old December 29th 04, 05:53 PM
Kevin Trojanowski

Jim Warman wrote:

> Some of my best paying jobs are the result of DIY efforts but I wont tell
> anyone not to try. However (and you can check my posting history), I tell
> folks time and time again that knowledge is power..... unfortunately, a
> LITTLE knowledge can be dangerous.

Amen! One of the most important things for me to know about cars is
where my limits lie. I know enough to do some basic repairs, and that's
about it. I'd love to know more, but I have neither the tools nor the
luxury of a backup vehicle to allow me to learn to do major work myself.

The way I look at it is that I have a job so that I can afford to pay
people who know what they're doing to fix my car. I'll gladly pay for
service from a reputable establishment, and I know of a few in my area.

-Kevin
Old December 29th 04, 08:04 PM
John Riggs

Yes, all well and good, but if a guy has at least a rudimentary
knowledge of automotive mechanics, this is one of the simpler repairs, and
if he pays attention to what he's doing, it doesn't have to be a costly
repair, but a mere temporary annoyance. If he isn't comfortable doing it,
great, pay someone else, but if he is confident in his abilities and
conscientious about his work, it is a few bucks and 20 minutes of time to
replace. I can't tell you how many I have replaced, and never had so much as
single glitch. The worst I ever had was a broken ear on the gooseneck of a
'63 ford.....but it was also my first attempt at replacing one, and I had
incorrectly torqued the bolts....bought another one at a local salvage yard
for a couple of bucks and was done in just a few minutes. It's really not
all that complicated. You just have to pay attention to what you are doing.
My engines typically last well over 200K miles, so I can't be too far off,
but I still recommend a guy buys himself a manual to help guide him through
minor repairs like this.

Old December 29th 04, 09:21 PM
Big Bill

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:04:37 -0600, "John Riggs"
> wrote:

> Yes, all well and good, but if a guy has at least a rudimentary
>knowledge of automotive mechanics, this is one of the simpler repairs, and
>if he pays attention to what he's doing, it doesn't have to be a costly
>repair, but a mere temporary annoyance. If he isn't comfortable doing it,
>great, pay someone else, but if he is confident in his abilities and
>conscientious about his work, it is a few bucks and 20 minutes of time to
>replace. I can't tell you how many I have replaced, and never had so much as
>single glitch. The worst I ever had was a broken ear on the gooseneck of a
>'63 ford.....but it was also my first attempt at replacing one, and I had
>incorrectly torqued the bolts....bought another one at a local salvage yard
>for a couple of bucks and was done in just a few minutes. It's really not
>all that complicated. You just have to pay attention to what you are doing.
>My engines typically last well over 200K miles, so I can't be too far off,
>but I still recommend a guy buys himself a manual to help guide him through
>minor repairs like this.

We weren't addressing whether or not someone can (or should) do this
in his driveway, but rather the complaint that the dealer or other
mechanic charges so much to do the same job.
By all means, if the owner feels this is a job he can do himself, I
say, let him do it. There's no problem with that, as far as I'm
concerned. I don't even do work on my own vehicles any more (physical
limitations).
But I (and, I think, Jim, if I can speak for him) were only trying to
give an idea of why that 15 minute driveway job can turn into a $100+
job in a dealership.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 29th 04, 09:39 PM
John Riggs

Old December 29th 04, 09:44 PM
John Riggs

I missed the complaints of cost. That's why I couldn't understand the
reluctance.

Hell no. By all mean, if you have to take it to a shop, expect an
increase in cost of repairs. There are certain overhead expenses that aren't
negotiable, in addition to wages for the service tech. I know this part all
too well.