M parallel wheels for a 90 535i?

Old May 18th 05, 02:40 PM
wjbell

Default M parallel wheels for a 90 535i?

I would like to buy a set of OEM M parallel wheels for my 535i, but I
really don't want 18" wheels. 16" or 17" is what I'm looking for. Did
BMW make a 16 or 17 inch set? Will the 18's fit my car if I had no other
choice? Offset the same?

Link is to an ebay auction of the wheels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tego ry=66484

TIA
Old May 18th 05, 11:06 PM
Malt_Hound

wjbell wrote:
> I would like to buy a set of OEM M parallel wheels for my 535i, but I
> really don't want 18" wheels. 16" or 17" is what I'm looking for. Did
> BMW make a 16 or 17 inch set? Will the 18's fit my car if I had no other
> choice? Offset the same?
>
> Link is to an ebay auction of the wheels.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tego ry=66484
>
> TIA

Fantastic!! A set of *USED* OEM 18" wheels with the rear tires worn to
the nub and the starting bid is 1800 samoleans? Man... PT Barnum was
right.

Let me put it this way: How do you know the wheels are straight and
true? What will you do when your E34 shakes like it has Saint Vitus'
dance after you mount those puppies?

-Fred W
Old May 19th 05, 03:15 AM
wjbell

Malt_Hound wrote:
> wjbell wrote:
>> I would like to buy a set of OEM M parallel wheels for my 535i, but I
>> really don't want 18" wheels. 16" or 17" is what I'm looking for. Did
>> BMW make a 16 or 17 inch set? Will the 18's fit my car if I had no other
>> choice? Offset the same?
>>
>> Link is to an ebay auction of the wheels.
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tego ry=66484
>>
>> TIA

> Fantastic!! A set of *USED* OEM 18" wheels with the rear tires worn to
> the nub and the starting bid is 1800 samoleans? Man... PT Barnum was
> right.
>
> Let me put it this way: How do you know the wheels are straight and
> true? What will you do when your E34 shakes like it has Saint Vitus'
> dance after you mount those puppies?
>
> -Fred W

Please reread my post. I didn't say I was buying those wheels, I was
asking if those wheels were made in 16 or 17" versions, and if those
type of wheels would fit my 535.
Old May 19th 05, 03:39 AM
Ken R.

wjbell > wrote in
om:

> Subject: M parallel wheels for a 90 535i?
> From: wjbell >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.bmw
>
> I would like to buy a set of OEM M parallel wheels for my
> 535i, but I really don't want 18" wheels. 16" or 17" is
> what I'm looking for. Did BMW make a 16 or 17 inch set?
> Will the 18's fit my car if I had no other choice? Offset
> the same?

One resource for info about E34 wheel specs and fitment is
here

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrad...ls_upgrade.htm

If at all possible, you want to avoid spacers or inserts. So
look for a wheel with a 72.5mm hub centre.

As another poster already indicated, you ought to stay away
from other people's headaches so avoid buying used wheels.
The ones in the auction link are wildly over-priced. The
seller has a 100% rating but the only current products you
can read feedback about are for wireless devices, not wheels.

Since you are looking on eBay, check out
www.thewheelexchange.com. Their current offerings can be
seen here

http://search.ebay.com/
_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZthewheelexchangeQ2ecom

You can get new replica wheels and tires here for considerably
less than the used ones offered in your link. I haven't
dealt with them but I plan to and I am encouraged by their
extensive, favorable feedback.

Alternatively, take a tour of www.tirerack.com and
http://www.discounttire.com.

Ken R.
Old May 19th 05, 10:17 AM
SharkmanBMW

they are made in 17" and 18" by FAST wheels, cheap and soft, - buy a spare.
but they look great!!!!
tirerack.com must have them, comes with bmw caps

om...

Old May 19th 05, 01:11 PM
Malt_Hound

wjbell wrote:
> Malt_Hound wrote:
>
>>wjbell wrote:
>>
>>>I would like to buy a set of OEM M parallel wheels for my 535i, but I
>>>really don't want 18" wheels. 16" or 17" is what I'm looking for. Did
>>>BMW make a 16 or 17 inch set? Will the 18's fit my car if I had no other
>>>choice? Offset the same?
>>>
>>>Link is to an ebay auction of the wheels.
>>>
>>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tego ry=66484
>>>
>>>TIA

>>Fantastic!! A set of *USED* OEM 18" wheels with the rear tires worn to
>>the nub and the starting bid is 1800 samoleans? Man... PT Barnum was
>>right.
>>
>>Let me put it this way: How do you know the wheels are straight and
>>true? What will you do when your E34 shakes like it has Saint Vitus'
>>dance after you mount those puppies?
>>
>>-Fred W

> Please reread my post. I didn't say I was buying those wheels, I was
> asking if those wheels were made in 16 or 17" versions, and if those
> type of wheels would fit my 535.

OK, sorry about that. Sure, I had read your introduction, but naturally
I assumed it was a ruse to get people to look at *your* auction, not
what you were actually stating.

I'd have just used a link to the wheels like this:
<http://zoouz.free.fr/Wheels/TMP_wheel/bmw_wheel_037.jpg>

Now, with that misunderstanding cleared up, I would say that I
personally would prefer a set of new "replica" or after-market brand
wheels to a set of used OE wheel, *unless* I had some reassurance they
were in A1 condition (say a balance test on a Hunter GSP9700) and a
means to return them of I have a problem.

I know that the biggest replica wheel shop (link below) has replicas of
style 37 wheels available and you can (should) get them complete with a
new set of tires mounted and balanced (on a GSP9700) and ready to bolt
onto your car. If there is any problem these places will take care of
you. They have to if they want to expand their business.

<http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/>

Another alternative is The Tire Rack. But be 100% certain that any
wheels that you buy there do not require hub-centric spacer rings. They
will show on their web site that a certain wheel fits your car, but that
is with the spacers. If you find a model of wheel that interests you,
call and ask one of the sales advisors if that fitment requires the
spacer rings. If so, I would pass...

They do sell BBS wheels at Tire Rack. I have never heard a bad word
about these ever, except maybe for the price. BBS has one style that
looks similar (though not identical to) the M parallel style 37. The
thing is, you aren't going to fool anyone (that knows bimmers) anyway if
you do get the M parallels, because that model car (E34) never came with
that style wheel.

A set of decent wheels and tires is going to cost you between 1200 and
1500 dollars minimum. It seems prudent to do your homework, and have
some sort of after sale support available, on a purchase of that magnitude.

Good Luck,
-Fred W

Old May 19th 05, 03:43 PM
wjbell

Malt_Hound wrote:

> OK, sorry about that. Sure, I had read your introduction, but naturally
> I assumed it was a ruse to get people to look at *your* auction, not
> what you were actually stating.
>
> I'd have just used a link to the wheels like this:
> <http://zoouz.free.fr/Wheels/TMP_wheel/bmw_wheel_037.jpg>
>
> Now, with that misunderstanding cleared up, I would say that I
> personally would prefer a set of new "replica" or after-market brand
> wheels to a set of used OE wheel, *unless* I had some reassurance they
> were in A1 condition (say a balance test on a Hunter GSP9700) and a
> means to return them of I have a problem.
>
> I know that the biggest replica wheel shop (link below) has replicas of
> style 37 wheels available and you can (should) get them complete with a
> new set of tires mounted and balanced (on a GSP9700) and ready to bolt
> onto your car. If there is any problem these places will take care of
> you. They have to if they want to expand their business.
>
> <http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/>
>
> Another alternative is The Tire Rack. But be 100% certain that any
> wheels that you buy there do not require hub-centric spacer rings. They
> will show on their web site that a certain wheel fits your car, but that
> is with the spacers. If you find a model of wheel that interests you,
> call and ask one of the sales advisors if that fitment requires the
> spacer rings. If so, I would pass...
>
> They do sell BBS wheels at Tire Rack. I have never heard a bad word
> about these ever, except maybe for the price. BBS has one style that
> looks similar (though not identical to) the M parallel style 37. The
> thing is, you aren't going to fool anyone (that knows bimmers) anyway if
> you do get the M parallels, because that model car (E34) never came with
> that style wheel.
>
> A set of decent wheels and tires is going to cost you between 1200 and
> 1500 dollars minimum. It seems prudent to do your homework, and have
> some sort of after sale support available, on a purchase of that magnitude.
>
> Good Luck,
> -Fred W

Ok, thanks for the advice. I can see how it might look like I was
trying to promote an auction. I should have stated that the link was
for an example of the wheels only.
Old May 20th 05, 12:01 AM
SharkmanBMW

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...threadid=11780
is a link to a forum where a guy just bought a set of these on ebay, loves
them and paid $1260 delivered!

m...