abs and traction control both lit - help!!

Old August 20th 06, 11:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Hinesh Patel

Default abs and traction control both lit - help!!

I have a e39 bmw 520i - the car was stood on the driveway for sometime. I
then took it for a spin and left on the driveway again. the next day both
the traction control light and the abs light remain lit when
driving.....does anyone have a clue what might be causing this?

Old August 21st 06, 12:13 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Eisboch[_1_]

"Hinesh Patel" > wrote in message
>I have a e39 bmw 520i - the car was stood on the driveway for sometime. I
> then took it for a spin and left on the driveway again. the next day both
> the traction control light and the abs light remain lit when
> driving.....does anyone have a clue what might be causing this?

Bad speed sensor in one of the rear wheels?

Eisboch

Old August 21st 06, 09:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Erik G.

"Hinesh Patel" > wrote in message
>I have a e39 bmw 520i - the car was stood on the driveway for sometime. I
> then took it for a spin and left on the driveway again. the next day both
> the traction control light and the abs light remain lit when
> driving.....does anyone have a clue what might be causing this?

I had the same problem with my E36 (1997), it turned out to be a short in
the wire coming from the ABS sensor in the wheel well. The lights would
come on whenever it was wet outside. I figured it must have been a short so
I started tracing the wires and discovered that a plastic cover at the point
where the wire entered the front left wheel well was open. It was so caked
with dirt that it must have acted as a wick whenever it rained thus shorting
out the ABS. No problems since cleaning it up and snapping the cover
closed. Since the ABS and traction control work in conjunction with each
other I'm not surprised a problem with one affects the other.

It could be a number of things but I'd start with checking the ABS sensors
and the wiring.

- Erik