Do you back into your driveway?

Old July 14th 05, 10:37 PM
Stan Horwitz

In article >,
Kevin Spencer > wrote:

> I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently
> moved into a house (I'm house-sitting for a few years) and
> I have never had my own driveway before this move. I find
> myself always backing into the driveway now when I park, so when
> it's time for me to go anywhere, I can pull out forward, and
> I won't have to worry about backing into a small child or
> another vehicle.
>
> I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
> driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if I
> "was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.
> Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
> unusual?

Yes. That's the way I was taught to park. Especially at my parents'
house, backing out of their driveway is a major pain in the neck, but
backing into it is a no-brainer. I also prefer not to have to back out
into a public area where kids and other traffic may come up in my car's
blind spot.
Old July 14th 05, 10:50 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

> In article >,
> Kevin Spencer > wrote:

>> I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently
>> moved into a house (I'm house-sitting for a few years) and
>> I have never had my own driveway before this move. I find
>> myself always backing into the driveway now when I park, so when
>> it's time for me to go anywhere, I can pull out forward, and
>> I won't have to worry about backing into a small child or
>> another vehicle.
>>
>> I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
>> driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if
>> I "was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.
>> Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
>> unusual?

No problem here. I can back a car, a van, a truck, or a 25' trailer into
virtually any garage, as long as it would fit in there once parked. In
fact, all other things being equal I prefer to back in. Power mirrors make
it a lot easier but it can be done regardless.

For some reason, some parking lots have signs that state "Front-In Parking
Only". I have no idea what's up with that.

Old July 14th 05, 11:58 PM
Rich Greenberg

In article . net>,
Skip Elliott Bowman > wrote:

[big snip]

>For some reason, some parking lots have signs that state "Front-In Parking
>Only". I have no idea what's up with that.

In the "Residents Only" parking areas at the local train station where I
grew up it was so the cops could verify that you had the residents
sticker on your rear bumper.

It could also be so that the cops could check for expired registrations
easily (in states where the sticker gos on the rear plate).

Old July 15th 05, 12:49 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Rich Greenberg" > wrote in message
> In article . net>,
> Skip Elliott Bowman > wrote:
>
> [big snip]
>
>>For some reason, some parking lots have signs that state "Front-In Parking
>>Only". I have no idea what's up with that.

> In the "Residents Only" parking areas at the local train station where I
> grew up it was so the cops could verify that you had the residents
> sticker on your rear bumper.
>
> It could also be so that the cops could check for expired registrations
> easily (in states where the sticker gos on the rear plate).

That would explain it. Thanks, Rich.

Old July 15th 05, 12:52 AM
fbloogyudsr

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote
> For some reason, some parking lots have signs that state "Front-In Parking
> Only". I have no idea what's up with that.

Generally, they're so that the longer rear overhang of the car doesn't
block the sidewalk or hit something beyond the bump stop.

Floyd

Old July 15th 05, 01:41 AM
DTJ

On 13 Jul 2005 16:35:36 -0700, "Larry Bud" >
wrote:

>Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Kevin Spencer wrote:
>>
>> > I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently moved into a
>> > house (I'm house-sitting for a few years) and I have never had my own
>> > driveway before this move. I find myself always backing into the
>> > driveway now when I park, so when it's time for me to go anywhere, I can
>> > pull out forward, and I won't have to worry about backing into a small
>> > child or another vehicle.

>> Yours is a smarter and safer way to use a home driveway than the more
>> common method of nosing in and backing out, and for exactly the reason you
>> state.

>Why doesn't he have to worry about backing into a child when parking
>the car?

Maybe because when you pull up, you can look out the window.
Old July 15th 05, 05:44 AM

Mark wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:50:18 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> > wrote:

> >No problem here. I can back a car, a van, a truck, or a 25' trailer into
> >virtually any garage, as long as it would fit in there once parked. In
> >fact, all other things being equal I prefer to back in. Power mirrors make
> >it a lot easier but it can be done regardless.
> >
> >For some reason, some parking lots have signs that state "Front-In Parking
> >Only". I have no idea what's up with that.

> Come on. Really? I've never seen a sign like that. What type of places
> have you seen these signs? I'm not doubting you, I'd just like to know a
> little more...

It's to make sure nobody has dumped a stolen car off. Some
states require only a rear tag, instead of front and back.

Im my area all public parking lots are "Front In Only."

KM
Old July 15th 05, 03:58 PM
Stan Horwitz

In article . net>,
"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote:

> > In article >,
> > Kevin Spencer > wrote:

> >> I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently
> >> moved into a house (I'm house-sitting for a few years) and
> >> I have never had my own driveway before this move. I find
> >> myself always backing into the driveway now when I park, so when
> >> it's time for me to go anywhere, I can pull out forward, and
> >> I won't have to worry about backing into a small child or
> >> another vehicle.
> >>
> >> I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
> >> driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if
> >> I "was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.
> >> Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
> >> unusual?

> No problem here. I can back a car, a van, a truck, or a 25' trailer into
> virtually any garage, as long as it would fit in there once parked. In
> fact, all other things being equal I prefer to back in. Power mirrors make
> it a lot easier but it can be done regardless.
>
> For some reason, some parking lots have signs that state "Front-In Parking
> Only". I have no idea what's up with that.

Yeh, now that you mention it. I have seen those signs too, but only in a
few parking garages in New York City. I wonder what the point is of
that. One other benefit to parking with the front facing out is that if
your car battery dies, its a lot easier to get a jump start because you
will need shorter jumper cables. Its also easier to get a tow if your
car won't start at all if the front is facing out. I do park face in
sometimes, mainly if I am in a big hurry, but that's unusual for me.
Old July 15th 05, 04:01 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote
> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote:
>> For some reason, some parking lots have signs that state "Front-In
>> Parking
>> Only". I have no idea what's up with that.

> Yeh, now that you mention it. I have seen those signs too, but only in a
> few parking garages in New York City. I wonder what the point is of
> that. One other benefit to parking with the front facing out is that if
> your car battery dies, its a lot easier to get a jump start because you
> will need shorter jumper cables.

Except for cars such as BMWs that have their batteries in the trunk.

Floyd

Old July 15th 05, 05:37 PM
Banty

In article >, hubcap says...

>I think it is easiest to make sure you don't run over the kitties
>by pulling straight in... you can more easily pay attention to
>whether or not they run in front of you.
>
>Later, when leaving, you can look around for them, look to see
>if they're under the car, and be pretty sure they're nowhere around
>before you back out. If you fool around with the keys or something in
>the car, you should get back out and check to see where the kitties are
>to make sure it is still clear.
>
>Sounds like a lot of trouble, but my kitties are unrunover as of yet.
>
>-Mike

Me too. Kitties and kiddies both

It's a good point, though. When *leaving* my house, I have an easy opportunity
to see if there is any kittie or kiddie activity around the driveway or sidewalk
or street. Then I can 'afford' the lower visibility I would have while backing
out.

On the other hand, when I *arrive*, I can only see what I can see from the
vantage point of my driver's seat in the street. For that I'd rather have the
visibility to drive fowards into the driveway.

Although - my current setup allows me to back towards my backyard to turn
towards the street while leaving through my driveway, so I can drive forwards
either coming or going. If I lived on a busy street, I'd put in a circular
driveway if I at all could.

Banty