When is the US going to get "real" Land Rovers?

Old April 17th 04, 03:59 PM
Peter Seddon

Default When is the US going to get "real" Land Rovers?

I thought that bigger was better over there orelse why do they use the
HumVee, its as big as a tank, there's a yellow one up here in the north of
the UK, it make my disco look like a dinky toy.

Peter.

"R. David Steele" /OMEGA> wrote in message
> Why can't the US get Defender 90s, 110s and 130s?
>
> Why can't we have diesel powered Landies?
>
> And why doesn't the US military use the Defender as a basic, and
> cheaper, vehicle for the average troops?

---

Old April 17th 04, 04:20 PM
Peter

Because the average US motorist wouldn't be caught dead driving a diesel of
any kind, therefore most automakers don't bother trying to sell them. VW
and MB being execptions, but even they don't sell too many.

Also, the US government isn't going to spend US taxpayer's money to keep
British autoworkers employed, when they have their own workers to "keep
employed".

Old April 17th 04, 04:20 PM
Peter

Old April 17th 04, 04:23 PM
Paul S. Brown

Peter wrote:

> Because the average US motorist wouldn't be caught dead driving a diesel
> of
> any kind, therefore most automakers don't bother trying to sell them. VW
> and MB being execptions, but even they don't sell too many.
>
> Also, the US government isn't going to spend US taxpayer's money to keep
> British autoworkers employed, when they have their own workers to "keep
> employed".

MB? Milton Bradley? Diesel powered KerPlunk!?

And the argument about which country stays employed becomes a little more
academic when it's Ford who own LR.

However, I think that if .mil.us were to look for a smaller offroader then
the chances are they'd talk to Chrysler and ask for a revamp on the Jeep
rather than buy landies.

P.
Old April 17th 04, 04:23 PM
Paul S. Brown

Old April 17th 04, 05:20 PM
Tom Morrison

Big diesel pickup trucks are very popular in North America these days. SUVs
and sedans are another story.

Old April 17th 04, 05:20 PM
Tom Morrison

Old April 17th 04, 05:35 PM
David French

"R. David Steele" /OMEGA> wrote in message
> Why can't the US get Defender 90s, 110s and 130s?
>
> Why can't we have diesel powered Landies?
>
> And why doesn't the US military use the Defender as a basic, and
> cheaper, vehicle for the average troops?

Isn't it something to do with us building vehicles which aren't up to US
safety specs? Initially I thought emissions, but then I thought perhaps not