Model year comparisons

Old April 2nd 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Model year comparisons

I'm considering buying a used Miata, and there is a fairly decent
selection available locally (defined as within 75 miles) of 2000-2003
model years with 20-30k miles on them.

Has anyone ever done a year-to-year comparison of the Miata, tracking
performance, comfort, available options, known defects, etc. Did some
searching around but wasn't able to find such a comparison. I'd find
this useful in deciding whether to choose one model over another.

--
Christian Smith
Old April 2nd 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >, Christian Smith > wrote:
>I'm considering buying a used Miata, and there is a fairly decent
>selection available locally (defined as within 75 miles) of 2000-2003
>model years with 20-30k miles on them.
>
>Has anyone ever done a year-to-year comparison of the Miata, tracking
>performance, comfort, available options, known defects, etc. Did some
>searching around but wasn't able to find such a comparison. I'd find
>this useful in deciding whether to choose one model over another.

Get thee to miata.net and its forums: http://forum.miata.net/vb/
Check the faqs there or read the many threads on the subject:
http://www.miata.net/faq/
this is probably your best bet:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5361/

Short summary off the top of my head:
First year of new model "NB" 1999's and early '00's had some issues.
The most notorious is the thrust bearing one (see the faq).
Clutch shudder issue in 2000 through part of 2001?
Slight re-do in 2001 including (to me) more smoothly integrated
front end and a VVT head that added 15 invisible hp (later restated
to 2 extra invisible hp with apologies and an offer to buy back cars
or $500). And chasis bracing on the LS.
I think by 2003 they added a lot of the LS stuff to all models like
the bigger wheels and chassis bracing.
While the shifter is often praised as second to one (the S2000),
many, including me, complain of a somewhat balky 6-speed.

A minority of them have ABS, which adds (perhaps only in later
models?) electronic brake distribution.

You basically can't go wrong aside from the small issues above. They
have repeatedly been rated as the most reliable sports car.

Good hunting!
Old April 2nd 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
Christian Smith > wrote:

> I'm considering buying a used Miata, and there is a fairly decent
> selection available locally (defined as within 75 miles) of 2000-2003
> model years with 20-30k miles on them.
>
> Has anyone ever done a year-to-year comparison of the Miata, tracking
> performance, comfort, available options, known defects, etc.

There's very little difference among those years. The most important
thing is the condition of the individual car. Drive a few, and buy the
one that gives you the widest grin.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old April 3rd 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Check out this link for a pretty decent list of changes by year:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/u...x.cfm/id/2459/