Daytona '84 through '89

Old May 1st 04, 05:27 PM
SurfboardAl

Default Daytona '84 through '89

I'm contemplating a project and need to know the rough dimensions of the
engine bay for the Daytona. Does anyone know this?

Old May 1st 04, 07:39 PM
Circuit Breaker

SurfboardAl wrote:

> I'm contemplating a project and need to know the rough dimensions of the
> engine bay for the Daytona. Does anyone know this?

I have a '90, so it will be ever so slightly different fore-aft, but mine
is about 30" between side engine mounts, about 34" fore-aft (about 28 to
30" I would think for the 84-89) and the clearance from the bottom of the
front engine mount to the top of the radiator is about 22". To the top of
the 3.0L intake plenum is about 26" give or take.

These are of course rough measurements, but without pulling the engine out
and physically mapping the thing, it's the best I can get you. If you
have the option of getting a '90 or later, you'll have a few more inches
fore-aft because of the altered radiator mounting (so they could fit the
V6 in). Not only did this make room for the 3.0L, but a couple years ago
there was a guy in my Daytona club at Yahoo! that stuck a 3.3L in it. And
of course, the 3.8 being nothing more than a stroked and bored 3.3, will
fit too. But, for that amount of weight, you'd be better off just to
stick the 2.2 Turbo-3 or Turbo-4 in it. 2 cyls fewer, much lighter, more
power...

Whatcha plannin on doin to yer Tona, BTW?

--
--x _x | CJ Chitwood
| | |_|___ _ _ ____x | Unregistered Linux User # 18,000,002
| |_| | , | | |\ \/ |
|____|_|_|_|___|/\_\ | Sink the ship to reply by e-mail
Old May 1st 04, 07:39 PM
Circuit Breaker

Old May 1st 04, 08:53 PM
Justin

> Whatcha plannin on doin to yer Tona, BTW?

He's gonna shoehorn a slant 6 in there. Just kidding. Chrysler didn't
have many engine choices in the '80's. Basically it was the 2.2 or 2.5 (or
that crappy Mitsubishi engine) for the smaller cars like the Daytona,
Charger, Omni, etc. or the 225ci slant 6, 318ci, or 360 in the larger cars
or trucks. A friend of mine had a '84 Plymouth Laser XE with the
Electronic Voice Alert system and digital dash, cool car. Remember
"Hunter" back in the '80's? The female cop drove a Dodge Daytona Turbo Z.

in case anyone hasn't heard of it, check out www.allpar.com for a detailed
history of most of the Chrysler models/engines.

Old May 1st 04, 08:53 PM
Justin

Old May 1st 04, 10:27 PM
Circuit Breaker

Justin wrote:

>> Whatcha plannin on doin to yer Tona, BTW?

> He's gonna shoehorn a slant 6 in there. Just kidding. Chrysler didn't
> have many engine choices in the '80's. Basically it was the 2.2 or 2.5
> (or that crappy Mitsubishi engine)

I assume you're referring to the 2.6 as opposed to the 3.0 I have in my
Tona. The 3.0 I've had no real problems with that weren't the fault of
myself or the previous owner.

> or trucks. A friend of mine had a '84 Plymouth Laser XE with the
> Electronic Voice Alert system and digital dash, cool car. Remember
> "Hunter" back in the '80's? The female cop drove a Dodge Daytona Turbo
> Z.

Vaguely recall, but I don't really remember having seen any episodes. And
they always refer to her as "the female cop" but nobody seems to know her
name, lol. What was this "Voice Alert System" like?

> in case anyone hasn't heard of it, check out www.allpar.com for a
> detailed history of most of the Chrysler models/engines.

Yep, great site, that.

Regards...
Old May 1st 04, 10:27 PM
Circuit Breaker

Old May 2nd 04, 03:26 AM
Justin

> Vaguely recall, but I don't really remember having seen any episodes.
> And they always refer to her as "the female cop" but nobody seems to
> know her name, lol. What was this "Voice Alert System" like?

It was an electronic synthesized actual human voice (female I believe)
that'd tell you if your door was ajar, low on washer fluid, hot engine, low
fuel, etc. -- basically what your idiot lights tell you. It was also in
the E Class, New Yorker, 600, Le Baron (I think). Pretty cool. I'd like
to get my hands on a Voice Alert unit.

Old May 2nd 04, 03:26 AM
Justin

Old May 2nd 04, 06:12 PM
Steve W.

You mean the Mitsu 3.0? The best oil burner installed in a car.

--
Steve Williams

57.130...