Reset Air bag

Old November 6th 04, 05:08 AM
BMW Z3

Default Reset Air bag

Not sure what happened to my original post..But need to reset my
Airbag light..Not sure what triggered it but believe I found the
culprit..The driverside belt tensioner was jammed..(Moved the seat to
clean up a bit and jammed tha belt tensioner)..After reclining the
seat the tensioner released..(could this cause a fault)..Also can I
reset the light myself...Dealer tells me i'm a long way out...Any help
woul;d be appreciated..thanks in advance
Old November 6th 04, 06:13 AM
Jim Levie

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:08:43 -0800, BMW Z3 wrote:

> Not sure what happened to my original post..But need to reset my Airbag
> light..Not sure what triggered it but believe I found the culprit..The
> driverside belt tensioner was jammed..(Moved the seat to clean up a bit
> and jammed tha belt tensioner)..After reclining the seat the tensioner
> released..(could this cause a fault)..Also can I reset the light
> myself...Dealer tells me i'm a long way out...Any help woul;d be
> appreciated..thanks in advance

I have a hard time believing that the tensioner would be a cause of the
fault. A defective seat belt socket switch might be a cause, but I'd guess
that you've got some problem other than one related to the seat belt.

And no, you can't reset the alarm yourself. The car needs to go to a shop
that can read out the fault code and fix whatever is wrong. Then they can
reset the system and clear the warning light.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old November 7th 04, 02:14 AM
BMW Z3

Can anyone suggest what might have caused such a fault..The car is
well taken care of..the last thing I did was vacuum the
interior..Moved the seats forward..thats when I believe I jammed the
seat belt tensioner..Any thoughts on what may have set the
fault...Thanks again in advance

Old November 7th 04, 03:23 AM
Jim Levie

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:14:04 -0800, BMW Z3 wrote:

> Can anyone suggest what might have caused such a fault..The car is well
> taken care of..the last thing I did was vacuum the interior..Moved the
> seats forward..thats when I believe I jammed the seat belt tensioner..Any
> thoughts on what may have set the fault...Thanks again in advance

Could be anything like a bad sensor, bad contacts on the steering wheel,
crash computer fault, etc. The few faults I've had experience with were
all partial failures of the contact assembly in the steering wheel.

Run it by a dealer or well equipped independant shop and they can read out
the fault code.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old November 7th 04, 09:43 PM
Jeff Strickland

I suspect the fault lies with the passenger seat more than the driver seat.

In my case, the SRS light was caused by the fault light itself. There is a
fault that turns the light on if the light does not work. The logic of this
escapes we, and I am certain you are scratching your head about now as well.

Another time my SRS fault light came on was when I replaced the microfilter.
Among things that have to come off to get to the filter in my E36 is the
glovebox, and the passenger side airbag gets disconnected in the process. In
my case, I switched the ignition on while the passenger side bag was
disconnected, and this set a fault code.

The fault can only be cleared by a mechanic with the diagnostic tool.

om...

Old November 24th 04, 05:29 PM
JonCC

This is a very common fault. I have a 540iA that if I move the drivers seat
when the ignition is on will often trigger the warning light. Every service
its reset and no faults found. It seems that the connector between the seat
and the sensor "moves" and can trip out the sensor - and once tripped out
only a reset using the correct bmw tools will switch off the light!

Old December 1st 04, 05:28 PM
Jeff Strickland

Keep in mind that if the lamp is ON, the airbag(s) is(are) deactivated. Are
you sure you want to drive around without this important safety feature
available?

A6 quattro service reset ramjet44 Audi 4 December 11th 04 02:16 AM
Reset Service Interval Indicator Jeff Strickland BMW 0 October 11th 04 05:58 PM
avg/mpg /timer etc RESET BUTTON on right hand wiper stalk! fiorello Audi 0 October 11th 04 05:53 PM
1998 A3 computer reset button inop fiorello Audi 0 September 22nd 04 11:33 PM
'03 A4 "reset" Troy Bruder Audi 1 July 10th 04 11:23 PM