Frame Stiffening for a '69

Old January 20th 05, 02:20 AM
Cyber Joe

Default Frame Stiffening for a '69

Hi All:

I've owned a '69 convertible since it came out of the showroom. Probably
will be burried in it.

One problem from day one is that the body/frame twists a lot. At about
60 mph, if there is any tire imbalance at all, a reasonace sets up with the
body/frame. I'm sure if I could stiffen the frame, the resonance would move
to a higher speed. Move the resonance up 20 mph and it would be a real good
reason not to break the speed limit.

I'll appreciate any pointers.

Joe

--
Joseph F. Turnbull
19 Black Oak Rd

Old January 20th 05, 06:07 AM
Tom in Missouri

Two words - roll cage

That probably isn't what you were looking for.

While they do have some flex, the ones I have had were not too bad, not
enough to create a resonance. However, I did have a bad vibration that ran
around 55-60 mph once. It was an out of balance flywheel/clutch.

I had the flywheel and pressure plate balanced as a unit and the vibration
went away.

There has also been talk for years about out of balance drive shafts. The
trick is to try turning the drive shaft 180 out with the transmission yoke
and then with the rear end yoke. Also, some claim to find relief by turning
the drive shaft end for end, so the front is at the back.

It could also be that the wheel balance is upsetting the rear bearings that
are getting ready to go on you.

I think I'd look around for vibration problems first before trying to
stiffen the frame.

news

Old January 22nd 05, 06:26 AM
Kickstart

>> I'll appreciate any pointers.
>>
>> Joe

www.vpandp.com

try some suspension

Kickstart

Old January 22nd 05, 11:29 PM
CardsFan

"Kickstart" > wrote in message
m...
>>> I'll appreciate any pointers.
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>

> www.vpandp.com
>
> try some suspension
>
> Kickstart

What's with the link to a pizza joint?

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Old January 25th 05, 01:21 PM
Kickstart

>> try some suspension
>>
>> Kickstart

> What's with the link to a pizza joint?
>
> AJM

oooooops
www.vbandp.com

Kikcstart

Dumb accident with '86 TQ, question about bent frame cp Audi 10 December 22nd 04 10:44 PM
frame rust--how to fix? Abeness Honda 5 November 10th 04 05:32 AM
dented frame rail - problem? pws Mazda 1 October 24th 04 03:43 AM
Frame vs Sub- Frame? thanks [email protected] Antique cars 0 August 19th 04 02:14 PM
Frame vs Sub- Frame? [email protected] Antique cars 2 August 17th 04 02:04 AM