Another message from a possible buyer.

Old October 22nd 04, 01:40 AM
Anthony

Default Another message from a possible buyer.

Hi again. I posted a message about a week ago titled "So I've got a
little over a year to think this one over." I mentioned that in a
little more than a year I will be able to buy a Miata. Thank you for
the replies and information. I have spent a lot of time at Miata.net
and also searching the archives of this board.

Anyway, here's the news thus far:

Fiancee and parents have no issues with me buying a small impractical
sports roadster. (Yay!) (I still would have gotten one anyway....but
it's nice to have their "blessing."

I have no issues with a small impractical sports roadster. (of course
not...what did you think I was, an idiot? I just want to drive it
and have a load of fun in the process!

Unfortunately, it is now certain that I won't be able to buy the car
until summer of 2006....which is quite a ways from now; much over a
year. I won't be able to spend more than about $4500 on it. For the
past week I've been looking through Autotrader.com and Ebay trying to
get a feel for the pricing on these cars. Lemme tell you, it's all
over the place.

It seems like there are TONS of NBs for sale, and hardly ANY NAs for
sale. All I can afford, by looking at the average prices of these
cars, will be a base model from years '90-'95 at newest, which is FINE
but....

In a sudden paranoid thought I had today, I wondered "will there be
any good ones left in two years?!" Two years is going to be a
tortuous wait for my car...but I can't afford one until then. I have
to pay for school first. Anyway, is this a legitimate concern? Will
I be able to find a decent unabused car from my range by that time?
It seems like too many people are turning them into spec racers and
gutting the interiors etc. I just want it stock! Why the hell are
there so many '00s '01s and '02s for sale and hardly any '90s to '95s?
I won't be able to afford one of those NBs in my dreams (or fit in
one). At this point, it seems like there are one or two decent NAs
for sale in a huge list of expensive NBs and trashed/modified/turbo'd
NAs. Will there be any good cars left from the '90 - '94 range?! I'm
seriously freaking out about this right now. I've never wanted a car
so much in my life! I pray that there are enough caring owners out
there to baby their precious NA Miatas and then sell them in two
years...but I'm terribly worried I won't be able to get a decent car
for $4500 in two years.

Somebody please tell me it's going to be OK!

~Anthony
Old October 22nd 04, 01:58 AM
Tom Howlin

Although it may cost you a little more, start your shopping here and at
Miata.net. Most, if not all, of the people here and there are
miataphiles and although we may often have lots of miles (122K here),
you'll find meticulous maintenance, parts like brakes and shocks
replaced as needed, fluids (brakes, clutch, trans, diff) changed every
couple of years and a record of such. My car (not for sale) is probably
"better" than 90% of the ones being sold by dealers that are off lease
from somone who was having a mid-life crisis. Yet, the book value on my
car is probably about 3K and has at least another 100K in it. Someone
on these groups will always have theirs for sale because of buying a
different one, needing a more family oriented vehicle, etc.. and you can
probably be assured your getting a car that's in as good a shape as
possible. As I said, you may pay a few hundred dollars more for that
maintenance history but it will be well worth it. As for more NBs than
NAs, my opinion is that most true sports car afficianados from the old
school acquired an NA as soon as circumstances allowed and have more of
a tendency to hold onto them. The NBs, because they came ten years
after the introduction of the car may have appealed more to the "hey,
that might be fun crowd" and they don't really enjoy a true sports car
and trade out of them fairly quickly. This is all hypothesis but my
observation of owners seems to confirm his. In any case, don't worry,
you'll find a nice example of an NA within your price range that has
been lovingly taken care of and will pass to you with years of useful
life yet. Actually, I don't think there are many Miata that have
actually worn out.

Tom
92 Red

Old October 22nd 04, 04:47 AM
Larry Hill

It seems to me that you are wasting a whole lot of time on this subject. 2
years from now you might be married and drive an SUV. Why don't you wait for 23
months and then think about buying a Miata.
IMHO LarryHill
Old October 22nd 04, 04:56 PM
Anthony

> It seems to me that you are wasting a whole lot of time on this subject. 2
> years from now you might be married and drive an SUV.

Hahaha.....no. Married, yes. SUV, NEVER! As I said earlier, my
fiancee has the SUV, I hate driving it. She can haul all the big junk
around and she knows it.

~Anthony
Old October 22nd 04, 06:53 PM
Larry Hill

> It seems to me that you are wasting a whole lot of time on this subject. 2
>> years from now you might be married and drive an SUV.

>Hahaha.....no. Married, yes. SUV, NEVER! As I said earlier, my
>fiancee has the SUV, I hate driving it. She can haul all the big junk
>around and she knows it.
>
>~Anthony

Anthony,
I'm just saying for you not to waste your time now because in 2 years you
might have changed your mind about a Miata. 2 years is a long time.A lot can
happen in 2 years..Larry Hill

Old October 22nd 04, 10:38 PM
Larry Hill

>Why is a desire to purchase a Miata in 2 years time a waste of time ?
>Anthony
>has every right to post whatever he wants in this group. Only control freaks
>would oppose his efforts.

Col,
Who said he didn't have every right to post here? And I'm NOT a control
freak by any means so why don't you just Butt out!
Who knows what we will be wanting/thinking in 2 years.
Larry Hill
Old October 23rd 04, 01:57 AM
Anthony

(Larry Hill) wrote in message >...
> > It seems to me that you are wasting a whole lot of time on this subject. 2
> >> years from now you might be married and drive an SUV.

> >Hahaha.....no. Married, yes. SUV, NEVER! As I said earlier, my
> >fiancee has the SUV, I hate driving it. She can haul all the big junk
> >around and she knows it.
> >
> >~Anthony
> >

> Anthony,
> I'm just saying for you not to waste your time now because in 2 years you
> might have changed your mind about a Miata. 2 years is a long time.A lot can
> happen in 2 years..Larry Hill

You're right. A lot can happen in two years.

But tell me...when you wanted your first Miata, do you think that
your, well, urge would have dissapated after two years?

I know plenty can happen, but I honestly don't feel like I'm wasting
my time now getting informed about these cars. I just wanted to know
if there will be good cars around by then, which I'm pretty sure there
will be but I'd thought I'd ask just in case.... :-)

If my mind changes, then it does. Whatever. I can point the money I
saved towards other endeavors or other cars. I never believe I'm
wasting time as long as I'm learning SOMETHING. And money saved can
be used for whatever I want. It's not like I would save the money
SPECIFICALLY for a Miata....then I don't want one anymore so it's like
"oops. Damn. Guess I can't use this $4,500 anymore." Haha...thanks
for the advice anyway. But I'm pretty sure the Miata is "the one." I
can wait patiently as long as there will be good cars left, which
there should be. I guess I can get enough etertainment out of my VW
for now....

~Anthony