Fireworks, Kids, and the Angry Driver

Old July 15th 05, 10:02 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

Default Fireworks, Kids, and the Angry Driver

This story appeared in today's NY Times/AP News online. It's not the first
time drivers have been threatened by fireworks shot by unsupervised kids.
I've had fireworks shot at my car too but didn't chase down the kids.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
July 15, 2005
Wash. Boy Dies Fleeing From Angry Driver
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 4:12 p.m. ET

SPANAWAY, Wash. (AP) -- A 12-year-old boy who was firing bottle rockets at
cars was chased into traffic Friday by an angry driver and killed by another
car, authorities said.

The driver and his passenger, both 22, were arrested for investigation of
manslaughter, the Washington State Patrol said.

The death came soon after midnight in this small town south of Tacoma, where
the preteen and a 12-year-old cousin had been hiding in bushes while
shooting the bottle rockets, trooper Johnny R. Alexander said.

A car stopped, and passenger Tyrone Sherrod got out, chased the cousin and
started beating him, Alexander said. The driver, Mario N. Haley, chased the
other boy, who ran onto the highway and was struck by a car driven by a
17-year-old girl.

Both men fled, but police found them at homes. Investigators determined the
girl was not at fault.

Witnesses unsuccessfully tried to revive the boy struck by the car. His
cousin was treated for injuries and released to his parents.

Copyright 2005 The Assocoated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Old July 15th 05, 10:11 PM
Arif Khokar

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
> This story appeared in today's NY Times/AP News online. It's not the first
> time drivers have been threatened by fireworks shot by unsupervised kids.
> I've had fireworks shot at my car too but didn't chase down the kids.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> July 15, 2005
> Wash. Boy Dies Fleeing From Angry Driver

It's too bad such an incident wasn't caught on film. It would serve as
a lesson to other kids who consider doing stupid **** like that.
Old July 15th 05, 10:33 PM
223rem

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
> This story appeared in today's NY Times/AP News online. It's not the first
> time drivers have been threatened by fireworks shot by unsupervised kids.
> I've had fireworks shot at my car too but didn't chase down the kids.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> July 15, 2005
> Wash. Boy Dies Fleeing From Angry Driver
> By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
> Filed at 4:12 p.m. ET
>
> SPANAWAY, Wash. (AP) -- A 12-year-old boy who was firing bottle rockets at
> cars was chased into traffic Friday by an angry driver and killed by another
> car, authorities said.
>
> The driver and his passenger, both 22, were arrested for investigation of
> manslaughter, the Washington State Patrol said.
>
> The death came soon after midnight in this small town south of Tacoma, where
> the preteen and a 12-year-old cousin had been hiding in bushes while
> shooting the bottle rockets, trooper Johnny R. Alexander said.
>
> A car stopped, and passenger Tyrone Sherrod got out, chased the cousin and
> started beating him, Alexander said. The driver, Mario N. Haley, chased the
> other boy, who ran onto the highway and was struck by a car driven by a
> 17-year-old girl.
>
> Both men fled, but police found them at homes. Investigators determined the
> girl was not at fault.
>
> Witnesses unsuccessfully tried to revive the boy struck by the car. His
> cousin was treated for injuries and released to his parents.
>
> Copyright 2005 The Assocoated Press. All Rights Reserved.

This story was written by an idiot. "The preteen and a 12-yo cousin".
So the brats were cousins and were both 12 yo. Why not state that
directly?

You dont mess with brothers' vehicles

Old July 15th 05, 10:38 PM
223rem

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
> This story appeared in today's NY Times/AP News online. It's not the first
> time drivers have been threatened by fireworks shot by unsupervised kids.
> I've had fireworks shot at my car too but didn't chase down the kids.

You returned fire instead?
Old July 16th 05, 04:30 AM
DTJ

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:02:09 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>July 15, 2005
>Wash. Boy Dies Fleeing From Angry Driver
>By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
>Filed at 4:12 p.m. ET
>
>SPANAWAY, Wash. (AP) -- A 12-year-old boy who was firing bottle rockets at
>cars was chased into traffic Friday by an angry driver and killed by another
>car, authorities said.
>
>The driver and his passenger, both 22, were arrested for investigation of
>manslaughter, the Washington State Patrol said.
>
>The death came soon after midnight in this small town south of Tacoma, where
>the preteen and a 12-year-old cousin had been hiding in bushes while
>shooting the bottle rockets, trooper Johnny R. Alexander said.
>
>A car stopped, and passenger Tyrone Sherrod got out, chased the cousin and
>started beating him, Alexander said. The driver, Mario N. Haley, chased the
>other boy, who ran onto the highway and was struck by a car driven by a
>17-year-old girl.
>
>Both men fled, but police found them at homes. Investigators determined the
>girl was not at fault.
>
>Witnesses unsuccessfully tried to revive the boy struck by the car. His
>cousin was treated for injuries and released to his parents.

How unfortunate that the driver and passenger were blamed for the
stupidity of the darwin award winners.
Old July 16th 05, 04:53 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:02:09 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>SPANAWAY, Wash. (AP) -- A 12-year-old boy who was firing bottle rockets at
>cars was chased into traffic Friday by an angry driver and killed by another
>car, authorities said.

Congratulations on your Darwin Award, Wash. Boy! You genuinely
deserved it.

>The driver and his passenger, both 22, were arrested for investigation of
>manslaughter, the Washington State Patrol said.

Why isn't the surviving punk being investigated for attempted murder?
If a bottle rocket flies into an open car window and explodes, the
startled driver is likely to lose control and kill himself and/or
someone else in the resulting crash.

Old July 16th 05, 04:28 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote
> "Skip Elliott Bowman"> wrote:
>
>>SPANAWAY, Wash. (AP) -- A 12-year-old boy who was firing bottle rockets at
>>cars was chased into traffic Friday by an angry driver and killed by
>>another
>>car, authorities said.

> Congratulations on your Darwin Award, Wash. Boy! You genuinely
> deserved it.
>
>>The driver and his passenger, both 22, were arrested for investigation of
>>manslaughter, the Washington State Patrol said.

> Why isn't the surviving punk being investigated for attempted murder?
> If a bottle rocket flies into an open car window and explodes, the
> startled driver is likely to lose control and kill himself and/or
> someone else in the resulting crash.

Scott, this is one of your most trollish postings. Get a grip,
consider the motivations of the participants, and get your
head out of your ...

Old July 16th 05, 04:55 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote
> Wash. Boy Dies Fleeing From Angry Driver ...

A more complete article.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/l...-4585288c.html

Floyd
Old July 16th 05, 08:25 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:28:01 -0700, "fbloogyudsr"
> wrote:

>>>The driver and his passenger, both 22, were arrested for investigation of
>>>manslaughter, the Washington State Patrol said.

>> Why isn't the surviving punk being investigated for attempted murder?
>> If a bottle rocket flies into an open car window and explodes, the
>> startled driver is likely to lose control and kill himself and/or
>> someone else in the resulting crash.

>Scott, this is one of your most trollish postings. Get a grip,
>consider the motivations of the participants, and get your
>head out of your ...

So if some punk fired a bottle rocket into your car and it exploded in
your ear, deafening you for life and causing you to crash head-on into
another innocent motorist, you'd just laugh it off and say "boys will
be boys?"

Old July 16th 05, 08:31 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:55:44 -0700, "fbloogyudsr"
> wrote:

>"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote
>> Wash. Boy Dies Fleeing From Angry Driver ...

>A more complete article.
>
>http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/l...-4585288c.html

>“Kids will be kids, and what they did we’re not condoning,” Trooper Johnny
>Alexander said of the two boys. “However, when you get adult males physically
>assaulting two 12-year-olds, that’s way overboard.”

Let's change the scenario slightly: let's suppose that, instead of
beating the **** out of this punk, the guys in the car merely intended
to DETAIN the young cretins and hand them over to police. If, while
attempting to avoid arrest, one of the kids runs out into traffic and
gets killed by a car, is that still manslaughter on the part of the
victims of the bottlerocket attack?

Shifting back to the original scenario, does the fact that one of the
victims assaulted one of the boys absolve that boy of any
responsibility for attacking passing cars with explosives? By all
means, prosecute that adult for assault, but just because he got a
well-deseved ass-kicking doesn't absolve him of guilt for the crimes
HE committed.