El cheapo jack stands recommended?

Old January 22nd 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default El cheapo jack stands recommended?

Hi,

Walmart sell jack stands a lot cheaper than some other brand named jack
stands. I'm concerned about the safety of those stands...

They're cheap, but are they safe?

neilsanner

Old January 22nd 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

You get what you pay for 'usually'. Sometimes the 'brand' names think
their name is gold plated though.....

If you look at the metal's gauge and the footprint size and the
connecting parts, the quality is usually evident.

The cheap ones are ok for simple tire changes as a safety, but I use two
or more in tandem if I am working under them and toss the tire and rim
under the vehicle as a third safety.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 22nd 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"you can sue them for selling defective merchandise. "
I don't know. I've never had good luck suing big firms. But hey!
It might work. Just in case I lose, when I'm under the car, I have it
supported by jack stands AND 6X6 pieces of wood. Either one
would be good enough, but the wood even will stop it
from rolling.
Safety first.
....thehick

Old January 22nd 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 21 Jan 2006 19:43:22 -0800, "thehick" > wrote:

>"you can sue them for selling defective merchandise. "
>I don't know. I've never had good luck suing big firms. But hey!
>It might work. Just in case I lose, when I'm under the car, I have it
>supported by jack stands AND 6X6 pieces of wood. Either one
>would be good enough, but the wood even will stop it
>from rolling.
>Safety first.
>...thehick

I use Rhino Ramps, rated at 4X what my car requires ( the heavy duty
ones ).

When I want to work on the wheels/brakes, I use PINNED hydraulic jack
stands, so if the valves fail, the pins will hold the pistons from
collapsing. Having forgotten to remove the pins on a few occasions
while letting the car down, I learned they work. Add Jackstands
wherever you won't punch a hole through the floor, like on the frame
rails.

Lg

Old January 22nd 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

How much is your life worth? I never like getting under a car unless I'm
confident that it is properly supported. The cheapest stands are too
flimsy for me. They only weigh a few pounds and have a small base. It
also depends on the weight of the vehicle being supported. Check the
weight ratings of any stands you are considering.

This style is a lot stronger, more sturdy and not that expensive.

http://tinyurl.com/b3cuj

http://tinyurl.com/9by5h

After I have the vehicle properly supported I like to shake and wiggle
it as hard as I can before getting under it, just to make sure it's not
going anywhere.

--
AlmostStock
AlmostStock's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=318278

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old January 22nd 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

AlmostStock wrote:
> How much is your life worth? I never like getting under a car unless I'm
> confident that it is properly supported. The cheapest stands are too
> flimsy for me. They only weigh a few pounds and have a small base. It
> also depends on the weight of the vehicle being supported. Check the
> weight ratings of any stands you are considering.
>
> This style is a lot stronger, more sturdy and not that expensive.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/b3cuj
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9by5h
>
> After I have the vehicle properly supported I like to shake and wiggle
> it as hard as I can before getting under it, just to make sure it's not
> going anywhere.

The first thing covered in highschool auto shop is to shake the sh&t out
of the car after it's up in the air before you go under it. Better it
falls down beside you then on you. *My buddies are always shocked at
how hard I shake the car, but have you ever seen how much you can rock a
car when you're reefing on a stuck bolt with a 2 foot breaker bar?*

I'm pretty sure I own a couple of the cheapo jackstands, and they're
just fine. Well, mine are. If you have any doubts about the quality of
safety equipment, take a pass on them. (the walmart ones are probably
the same as brand X without the sticker, but they could also be cheap crap.)

Ray
Old January 22nd 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Yeah when it comes to safety, definetly don't skimp. I buy lift
equipment that is rated far higher than when I actually need (an 8,000
lb. jack for my tiny Civic) Is saving a little money really worth your
life? I use the Rhino 6 or 8,000lb ramps also. Plus if you buy
something quality now, then if it lasts for several years then you will
save money over buying a new peice when it breaks.

--
alphalanos
alphalanos's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...p?userid=34853
View this thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=510575

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Who sells 4' tall jack stands? Dean Technology 4 August 7th 05 12:01 AM
Heavy duty trolley Jack with Stands £12.48@ Woolies UK 94JeepMan Jeep 0 July 16th 05 11:50 AM
1990 Acura Legend Jack Points Kin Honda 9 May 10th 05 06:42 PM
Hi-Lift Jack Thread Jersey Jeep 38 January 4th 05 10:29 PM
jack points z4869375 Honda 5 October 17th 04 08:35 AM