Women Busted for DUI For Pushing Car

Old July 28th 05, 01:46 AM
Dave

Default Women Busted for DUI For Pushing Car

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/irresisti...78/detail.html

--- Start ---

PORTAGE, Ind. -- Drunken driving can also be drunken pushing -- at
least to police in Portage, Ind.

Kaylyn Kezy and Melissa Fredenburg both face DUI charges after the car
they were pushing crashed into a parked car. Police said the women took
turns pushing the non-running car while the other steered.

After the accident, officers said both women tested with a
blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit.

Prosecutor Adam Burroughs admitted the case might be a tough one to
prove in court. But he noted that the women were in effect operating
the vehicle -- even though the car wasn't running at the time.

--- End ---

They obviously knew they were trying to skirt a law, and still were
manuevering a vehicle at some speed on public roadways. If this gets
thrown out I'll be shocked.

Dave

Old July 28th 05, 02:40 AM
Dave Head

On 27 Jul 2005 17:46:51 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:

>http://www.nbcsandiego.com/irresisti...78/detail.html
>
>--- Start ---
>
>PORTAGE, Ind. -- Drunken driving can also be drunken pushing -- at
>least to police in Portage, Ind.
>
>Kaylyn Kezy and Melissa Fredenburg both face DUI charges after the car
>they were pushing crashed into a parked car. Police said the women took
>turns pushing the non-running car while the other steered.
>
>After the accident, officers said both women tested with a
>blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit.
>
>Prosecutor Adam Burroughs admitted the case might be a tough one to
>prove in court. But he noted that the women were in effect operating
>the vehicle -- even though the car wasn't running at the time.
>
>--- End ---
>
>They obviously knew they were trying to skirt a law, and still were
>manuevering a vehicle at some speed on public roadways. If this gets
>thrown out I'll be shocked.
>
>Dave

Any excuse for an arrest. This might have been OK for "public drunkedness" but
is amazingly clear that this is _not_ what any legislature has in mind when it
passes stiff drunk driving laws.

Dave Head
Old July 28th 05, 03:38 AM
Pooh Bear

Dave Head wrote:

> On 27 Jul 2005 17:46:51 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
>
> >http://www.nbcsandiego.com/irresisti...78/detail.html
> >
> >--- Start ---
> >
> >PORTAGE, Ind. -- Drunken driving can also be drunken pushing -- at
> >least to police in Portage, Ind.
> >
> >Kaylyn Kezy and Melissa Fredenburg both face DUI charges after the car
> >they were pushing crashed into a parked car. Police said the women took
> >turns pushing the non-running car while the other steered.
> >
> >After the accident, officers said both women tested with a
> >blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit.
> >
> >Prosecutor Adam Burroughs admitted the case might be a tough one to
> >prove in court. But he noted that the women were in effect operating
> >the vehicle -- even though the car wasn't running at the time.
> >
> >--- End ---
> >
> >They obviously knew they were trying to skirt a law, and still were
> >manuevering a vehicle at some speed on public roadways. If this gets
> >thrown out I'll be shocked.
> >
> >Dave

> Any excuse for an arrest. This might have been OK for "public drunkedness" but
> is amazingly clear that this is _not_ what any legislature has in mind when it
> passes stiff drunk driving laws.
>
> Dave Head

Yeah, but they 'crashed' into a parked car.

Dumb ! Very DUMB !

Graham

Old July 28th 05, 03:53 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 01:40:26 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:

>>They obviously knew they were trying to skirt a law, and still were
>>manuevering a vehicle at some speed on public roadways. If this gets
>>thrown out I'll be shocked.

>Any excuse for an arrest. This might have been OK for "public drunkedness" but
>is amazingly clear that this is _not_ what any legislature has in mind when it
>passes stiff drunk driving laws.

Would you be so forgiving if that was YOUR car they crashed into?

These dumb ****s managed to crash a car even though it wasn't even
running. If that's not within the spirit of the law, then what is?

Old July 28th 05, 04:13 AM
Dave Head

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:38:42 +0100, Pooh Bear
> wrote:

>Dave Head wrote:
>
>> On 27 Jul 2005 17:46:51 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.nbcsandiego.com/irresisti...78/detail.html
>> >
>> >--- Start ---
>> >
>> >PORTAGE, Ind. -- Drunken driving can also be drunken pushing -- at
>> >least to police in Portage, Ind.
>> >
>> >Kaylyn Kezy and Melissa Fredenburg both face DUI charges after the car
>> >they were pushing crashed into a parked car. Police said the women took
>> >turns pushing the non-running car while the other steered.
>> >
>> >After the accident, officers said both women tested with a
>> >blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit.
>> >
>> >Prosecutor Adam Burroughs admitted the case might be a tough one to
>> >prove in court. But he noted that the women were in effect operating
>> >the vehicle -- even though the car wasn't running at the time.
>> >
>> >--- End ---
>> >
>> >They obviously knew they were trying to skirt a law, and still were
>> >manuevering a vehicle at some speed on public roadways. If this gets
>> >thrown out I'll be shocked.
>> >
>> >Dave

>> Any excuse for an arrest. This might have been OK for "public drunkedness" but
>> is amazingly clear that this is _not_ what any legislature has in mind when it
>> passes stiff drunk driving laws.
>>
>> Dave Head

>Yeah, but they 'crashed' into a parked car.
>
>Dumb ! Very DUMB !
>
>Graham

Yep - pretty brain dead - but not in the league of the really high-risk
activity that is _real_ drunk driving.

DPH

Old July 28th 05, 04:17 AM
Dave Head

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:53:02 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 01:40:26 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:
>
>>>They obviously knew they were trying to skirt a law, and still were
>>>manuevering a vehicle at some speed on public roadways. If this gets
>>>thrown out I'll be shocked.

>>Any excuse for an arrest. This might have been OK for "public drunkedness" but
>>is amazingly clear that this is _not_ what any legislature has in mind when it
>>passes stiff drunk driving laws.

>Would you be so forgiving if that was YOUR car they crashed into?

I wouldn't want 'em facing such bogus charges as drunk driving. Drunk driving
laws are a sledgehammer used to swat a fly in this case. A public drunkedness
charge would be quite sufficient for me. And, besides, the car is insured -
they damaged a _thing_, not a _person_, and had a not-very-high probability of
actually hurting someone, unlike the situation that occurs when someone
actually drives after drinking.

>These dumb ****s managed to crash a car even though it wasn't even
>running. If that's not within the spirit of the law, then what is?

Its not within the spirit of the drunk driving law. They weren't _driving_,
they were _pushing_.

DPH

Old July 28th 05, 04:32 AM
Pooh Bear

Dave Head wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:38:42 +0100, Pooh Bear
> > wrote:
>
> >Dave Head wrote:

> >> Any excuse for an arrest. This might have been OK for "public drunkedness" but
> >> is amazingly clear that this is _not_ what any legislature has in mind when it
> >> passes stiff drunk driving laws.
> >>
> >> Dave Head

> >Yeah, but they 'crashed' into a parked car.
> >
> >Dumb ! Very DUMB !
> >
> >Graham

> Yep - pretty brain dead - but not in the league of the really high-risk
> activity that is _real_ drunk driving.

I tend to agree but for heavens sake couldn't they *miss* a parked car ? I bet they
were well loaded.

Why didn't they just leave the car where it was ? If they were Olympic athletes I
could understand maybe that they would get some exercise form car-pushing but somehow
I don't think this was the case !

Graham

Old July 28th 05, 04:35 AM
Pooh Bear

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 01:40:26 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:
>
> >>They obviously knew they were trying to skirt a law, and still were
> >>manuevering a vehicle at some speed on public roadways. If this gets
> >>thrown out I'll be shocked.

> >Any excuse for an arrest. This might have been OK for "public drunkedness" but
> >is amazingly clear that this is _not_ what any legislature has in mind when it
> >passes stiff drunk driving laws.

> Would you be so forgiving if that was YOUR car they crashed into?
>
> These dumb ****s managed to crash a car even though it wasn't even
> running. If that's not within the spirit of the law, then what is?

Indeed. If you screw up even 'pushing' a car, one barely dares to imagine what
damage could be done by actively 'driving' it !

Graham

Old July 28th 05, 05:01 AM
Pooh Bear

Dave Head wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:53:02 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
> > wrote:

> >>Any excuse for an arrest. This might have been OK for "public drunkedness" but
> >>is amazingly clear that this is _not_ what any legislature has in mind when it
> >>passes stiff drunk driving laws.

> >Would you be so forgiving if that was YOUR car they crashed into?

> I wouldn't want 'em facing such bogus charges as drunk driving. Drunk driving
> laws are a sledgehammer used to swat a fly in this case. A public drunkedness
> charge would be quite sufficient for me. And, besides, the car is insured -
> they damaged a _thing_, not a _person_, and had a not-very-high probability of
> actually hurting someone, unlike the situation that occurs when someone
> actually drives after drinking.
>
> >These dumb ****s managed to crash a car even though it wasn't even
> >running. If that's not within the spirit of the law, then what is?

> Its not within the spirit of the drunk driving law. They weren't _driving_,
> they were _pushing_.

But the effect was the same surely ? Basically they shouldn't have been 'drunk
pushing'. Goodness knows what gave them the idea to do that !

They shouldn't even have been near any vehicle.

Sorry, but I reckon they brought the wrath of the law upon themselves by being
****wits.

Graham

Old July 28th 05, 05:04 AM
Dave

Dave Head wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:38:42 +0100, Pooh Bear
> > wrote:
>
> >Dave Head wrote:

> >> Any excuse for an arrest. This might have been OK for "public drunkedness" but
> >> is amazingly clear that this is _not_ what any legislature has in mind when it
> >> passes stiff drunk driving laws.
> >>
> >> Dave Head

> >Yeah, but they 'crashed' into a parked car.
> >
> >Dumb ! Very DUMB !
> >
> >Graham

> Yep - pretty brain dead - but not in the league of the really high-risk
> activity that is _real_ drunk driving.
>
> DPH

Realistically, where do you draw the line? They were steering a moving
vehicle on public roads, which other than having the engine off is
clearly a DUI violation, espescially at .15 where it would start to
sound like a good idea.

David P Hogan (The Other DPH, am I discussing it with myself?)