Engine work

Old June 14th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
Andrew Falanga

Default Engine work

I hope this is the right group. I couldn't find a group that was
specific to this. I need to do some engine work on a 93 Suzuki
Swift. I believe that I have leaky valves, but with the engine as old
as it is (130000+ miles) I'm betting that the rings are bad too. The
main reason I think it's the valves is that the tail pipe is spewing
unburnt oil.

Now, I'm looking into the differences of cost. Reconditioning the
engine that's in there versus dropping in a "new" engine. I actually
wouldn't drop in a new engine. I spent only $500 on the car last
year. I'm hoping that someone here will know what machining work
might have to be done on the engine when I take it apart. Assuming
that the rings aren't bad as well, I'm thinking that I should only
have to clean off the piston heads and the intake manifold, and
perhaps change some valves.

The real question is, is this work worth it when I can buy a used
engine from a salvage yard here in town, that's been run tested and
verified that all four cylinders have 150+ compression for $375 (but
unknown mileage), or purchase on-line an engine for $800, also with
confirmed 150+ compression and 70,000 miles (not to mention a
warranty).

What does everyone think (if I'm asking in the right place, if not,
please point me to the appropriate group).

Thanks,
Andy
Old June 14th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
John A. Weeks III

In article
Andrew Falanga > wrote:

> I hope this is the right group. I couldn't find a group that was
> specific to this. I need to do some engine work on a 93 Suzuki
> Swift. I believe that I have leaky valves, but with the engine as old
> as it is (130000+ miles) I'm betting that the rings are bad too. The
> main reason I think it's the valves is that the tail pipe is spewing
> unburnt oil.
>
> Now, I'm looking into the differences of cost. Reconditioning the
> engine that's in there versus dropping in a "new" engine. I actually
> wouldn't drop in a new engine. I spent only $500 on the car last
> year. I'm hoping that someone here will know what machining work
> might have to be done on the engine when I take it apart. Assuming
> that the rings aren't bad as well, I'm thinking that I should only
> have to clean off the piston heads and the intake manifold, and
> perhaps change some valves.
>
> The real question is, is this work worth it when I can buy a used
> engine from a salvage yard here in town, that's been run tested and
> verified that all four cylinders have 150+ compression for $375 (but
> unknown mileage), or purchase on-line an engine for $800, also with
> confirmed 150+ compression and 70,000 miles (not to mention a
> warranty).
>
> What does everyone think (if I'm asking in the right place, if not,
> please point me to the appropriate group).

I'd put this one to sleep. A modern car is much safer, much
better built, is more economical, and cleaner. Plus a modern
engine should go 250,000 without an issue, and I am seeing
friends with 300,000 on a Toyota without ever having a wrench
on the engine.

Go to www.cars.com, put in an upper limit of $2000, and try
different car brands. Here in the twin cities, someone has
a very nice looking Toyota Camry, 1999, LE, AC, 4DR with
204,000 miles for $1300 or best offer.

You are talking about $400 for a questionable used engine that
may have only 30K left in it, plus $500 or so to put it in, and
you still have a seriously old vehicle. Add $300 to the pot, and
you can probably pick up this cherry Camry for $1200 and get
100,000 of trouble-free milage out of it.

-john-

John A. Weeks III * * * * * 612-720-2854 * * * * *
Newave Communications * * * * * * * * * * * * http://www.johnweeks.com
Old June 16th 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
Andrew Falanga

On Jun 14, 2:53 pm, "John A. Weeks III" > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Andrew Falanga > wrote:
>

> > I hope this is the right group. I couldn't find a group that was
> > specific to this. I need to do some engine work on a 93 Suzuki
> > Swift. I believe that I have leaky valves, but with the engine as old
> > as it is (130000+ miles) I'm betting that the rings are bad too. The
> > main reason I think it's the valves is that the tail pipe is spewing
> > unburnt oil.

> > Now, I'm looking into the differences of cost. Reconditioning the
> > engine that's in there versus dropping in a "new" engine. I actually
> > wouldn't drop in a new engine. I spent only $500 on the car last
> > year. I'm hoping that someone here will know what machining work
> > might have to be done on the engine when I take it apart. Assuming
> > that the rings aren't bad as well, I'm thinking that I should only
> > have to clean off the piston heads and the intake manifold, and
> > perhaps change some valves.

> > The real question is, is this work worth it when I can buy a used
> > engine from a salvage yard here in town, that's been run tested and
> > verified that all four cylinders have 150+ compression for $375 (but
> > unknown mileage), or purchase on-line an engine for $800, also with
> > confirmed 150+ compression and 70,000 miles (not to mention a
> > warranty).

> > What does everyone think (if I'm asking in the right place, if not,
> > please point me to the appropriate group).

> I'd put this one to sleep. A modern car is much safer, much
> better built, is more economical, and cleaner. Plus a modern
> engine should go 250,000 without an issue, and I am seeing
> friends with 300,000 on a Toyota without ever having a wrench
> on the engine.
>
> Go towww.cars.com, put in an upper limit of $2000, and try
> different car brands. Here in the twin cities, someone has
> a very nice looking Toyota Camry, 1999, LE, AC, 4DR with
> 204,000 miles for $1300 or best offer.
>
> You are talking about $400 for a questionable used engine that
> may have only 30K left in it, plus $500 or so to put it in, and
> you still have a seriously old vehicle. Add $300 to the pot, and
> you can probably pick up this cherry Camry for $1200 and get
> 100,000 of trouble-free milage out of it.
>
> -john-
>
> --
> John A. Weeks III 612-720-2854
> Newave Communications http://www.johnweeks.com

Thanks. This does give me some good points to consider.

Andy