electric window problem

Old August 6th 06, 10:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Vijay

Default electric window problem

1996 EVO M3 UK 118,000 miles.

Normally, when the door is shut, the glass window raises a little to
effect the airlcok and when the door opens, it lowers itself an inch or
so. This is for airtight locking of doors, I presume.

My passenger side window stopped doing this suddenly. The electric
controls work normally and I can raise or lower thw windows with the
press of a button but the window doesn't raise itsefl that last inch to
effect the airlock. At motorway speed, there is the whining air noise.
The driver side window works fine.

Anythoughts as to what can be wrong and if it will be expensive to fix?

TIA

Vijay.

Old August 7th 06, 08:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Hector

I'm no expert, actually, I'm new to this group since I'm a recent BMW owner.
But I can give you my thoughts on this issue. My son has the same car ('99
M3 coupe).

I assume that since the window raises and lowers with the switch that the
motor is good. Unless there's a separate circuit on the motor dedicated for
locking the window. On the other hand, there must be some type of switch or
sensor that can tell when the door is completetly closed and commands the
window motor to further close up. I would suspect that this is the problem,
but without looking at the schematics it's only a guess.

good luck... and if you find what's the culprit let me know.

ups.com...

Old August 7th 06, 08:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Vijay

You are spot on Hector. On the door sill, where the door lock latches,
there is a switch you can press in. My functioning window glass moves
the inch up and down when you press it with the door open. It doesn't
do this on the affected side. Obviously, there is some sort of a sensor
that isn't working. I am going to take it to a BMW garage (an
independent one) to have the estimate. I guess the whole unit housing
will need o be replaced. I will let the group know about the damage!

Thanks,

Vijay

Old August 7th 06, 09:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
admin[_1_]

Vijay wrote:
> You are spot on Hector. On the door sill, where the door lock latches,
> there is a switch you can press in. My functioning window glass moves
> the inch up and down when you press it with the door open. It doesn't
> do this on the affected side. Obviously, there is some sort of a sensor
> that isn't working. I am going to take it to a BMW garage (an
> independent one) to have the estimate. I guess the whole unit housing
> will need o be replaced. I will let the group know about the damage!

You might try resetting the window top-position switch. Key on - press
the window button UP and hold it there for 60 seconds or so.

If the door switch isn't working - it will also have this effect. Do you
hear a click (audible even to my deaf ears) when you press the button in
by hand (you can do this with one finger inside the post on the latch
receiver assembly..) No click = bad switch. Easy DIY once you buy the
correct torx(tm) drive bits to remove the latch receiver (mark it first
so you get it back in the same position..)

And once you do replace it - keep the switch greased. No grease is why
they wear out.
Old August 8th 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Vijay

admin wrote:

> You might try resetting the window top-position switch. Key on - press
> the window button UP and hold it there for 60 seconds or so.

Thanks admin.This didn't work. I kept the UP button pressed for a
minute or so. Nothing. The window didn't move at all!

> If the door switch isn't working - it will also have this effect. Do you
> hear a click (audible even to my deaf ears) when you press the button in
> by hand (you can do this with one finger inside the post on the latch
> receiver assembly..) No click = bad switch. Easy DIY once you buy the
> correct torx(tm) drive bits to remove the latch receiver (mark it first
> so you get it back in the same position..)

I do hear a click. Whereas on the good side, it is accompanied by the
window glass moving up and down, it doesn't do the same on the bad
side. The click is there though. I wasn't clear from your post whether
this means the switch is good and if so, what does one do next?

Thanks much.

Vijay

Old August 10th 06, 10:48 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
C.Read

This is the switch in the door, there is a small black switch in the door
pillar in the locking mechanism, often the interior light will be on saying
the door is open too. If you look at it you can see it, it's quite obvious.
Simply take this off and when you unplug it the window should raise up to
the locked position automatically, as it's set to go all the way up if there
is no switch. Be careful when removing the switch from the door, as there
is a metal bracket which it bolts to.

Remove ONE bolt, there are torx bolts by the way, then rotate the switch a
little then reinsert the bolt to hold the bracket, then do the same with the
other.. Disconnect the cable (door window should go up), usually the switch
is fine, simply clean it up well and clean the contacts on the cables, then
reconnect and try pressing the switch. If the window goes up when depressed
and down when not then it's fine. Simply put back together.. Might be a
good idea to seal up the switch too with some grease to stop water getting
in.

I had the same problem with my 1996 coupe, it's common, often the switch
doesn't fail it just needs cleaning (they are about £10 anyway). Make sure
you clean it thoroughly, or it'll just start playing up again in a week or
so. I cleaned mine 3 times, as it kept re-occuring, but now it's been
months since I've had this problem.

I hope all that helps you.

Cheers

Craig

Old August 10th 06, 10:49 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
C.Read

Sorry.. EDIT... not in the door.. in the door PILLAR.. just read it back..

Old August 10th 06, 10:53 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
C.Read

Sorry EDIT, this is in the door PILLAR not in the door..

Apologies for Vjay I accidentally mailed this edit to him..

Old August 10th 06, 11:26 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Vijay

Thanks Craig. It seems a little too technical to a luddite like me. I
did take it to a BMW franchise dealership to-day and they gave me an
estimate of £47.00 all inclusive. I didn't think it was too bad.
Nevertheless, I shall try out your suggestion (although I have a
feeling I may not have the requisite tools) first.

Thanks much,

Vijay

Old August 11th 06, 06:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Vijay

UPDATE:

Craig: I printed your post and did what you suggested. Removed the
plate, unplugged the cable from the switch, and nothing happened. If I
read your post correctly, the window should have one up to the top
position. I plugged and unplugged the cable a few times without any
movement from the window. I have put everything back together the way
it was. I have the week-end free, so any other thoughts?

By the way, I couldn't unplug the cable without removing both bolts. I
just couldn't access the cable without removing both bolts completely.
Did I miss something from your post? It was a bummer getting the inner
plate in position to put the screws back in.

The TORX seems like a US term. In UK, Halfords told me, these are
called star head screwdrivers (and bolts)

Vijay