E34 1995 TDS water pump query...

Old August 6th 06, 10:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Nick

Default E34 1995 TDS water pump query...

Can anyone confirm if the water pump in a 1995 E34 525 TDS has a plastic or
metal impellor and whether is prone to sudden failure ?

The garage thought / said it was metal but it has just ? possibly ?
failed - the car overheats very quickly and shuts down to a 30 mph limp home
mode.

If so, how much is a pump and the labour involved to change ?

Cue John Burns ?

Thanks,

Nick

Old August 7th 06, 08:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

Nick wrote:
> Can anyone confirm if the water pump in a 1995 E34 525 TDS has a plastic or
> metal impellor and whether is prone to sudden failure ?
>
> The garage thought / said it was metal but it has just ? possibly ?
> failed - the car overheats very quickly and shuts down to a 30 mph limp home
> mode.
>
> If so, how much is a pump and the labour involved to change ?

Is your pump original? Its difficult to tell what type of water pump
you have without removing it. For your car, BMW went from plastic
impeller to metal, back to plastic (albeit a different material).

I recently changed the waterpump in my 90 535i with one from Laso, it
had a metal impeller (like the original). I recall the pump costing
around $35, labor is probably an hour or so.

Interestingly, there is a new "hi performance" pump for your car, made
by Stewart. Supposedly it puts out something like 20% more water flow.
Its expensive, but if you're having cooling issues, may be well worth
it. For mo

http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Mer...y_Code=BMWHPWP

Old August 7th 06, 10:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"bfd" > wrote
> Nick wrote:
>> Can anyone confirm if the water pump in a 1995 E34 525 TDS has a plastic
>> or
>> metal impellor and whether is prone to sudden failure ?

> Interestingly, there is a new "hi performance" pump for your car, made
> by Stewart. Supposedly it puts out something like 20% more water flow.
> Its expensive, but if you're having cooling issues, may be well worth
> it. For mo

I'm not sure it fits a diesel engine - certainly it fits the M20, M30
and M50 engines, but diesel may be a different kettle of fish. It
also probably isn't available in EU/UK, where the OP is.

FloydR

Old August 7th 06, 11:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

Floyd Rogers wrote:
> "bfd" > wrote
> > Nick wrote:
> >> Can anyone confirm if the water pump in a 1995 E34 525 TDS has a plastic
> >> or
> >> metal impellor and whether is prone to sudden failure ?

> > Interestingly, there is a new "hi performance" pump for your car, made
> > by Stewart. Supposedly it puts out something like 20% more water flow.
> > Its expensive, but if you're having cooling issues, may be well worth
> > it. For mo

> I'm not sure it fits a diesel engine - certainly it fits the M20, M30
> and M50 engines, but diesel may be a different kettle of fish. It
> also probably isn't available in EU/UK, where the OP is.

Good point! Didn't see the TDS, so the hi perf pump may not work. It
will work on m20 and m50 engines, but unfortunately, not on the m30.
Agree it may not be available in the UK, yet. If its as good as
claimed, I wouldn't be surprise to see it cross the pond.

Old August 7th 06, 11:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

Old August 8th 06, 12:01 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Nick

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the interest - Yes I am in the UK... I would be happy for a
current plastic impellor if not metal
in any new pump - someone else replied the modern plastic impellors are a
different plastic compared to the older ones
so are now OK

Not sure what the problem is yet - pump comes out tomorrow for a look.

Nick