WTD: later model Audi in need of engine work.

Old March 12th 05, 01:15 AM
Old Radios

Default WTD: later model Audi in need of engine work.

Just wondering - if someone has a later model Audi which maybe has a
broken timing belt or something major with the engine, and they're
interested in unloading it rather than fixing, please email me at:
mjmalin(at)wisc(dot)edu Looking for manual transmission and a car that
is otherwise in nice (and complete) condition.

Old March 30th 05, 01:44 AM
jpmichelson

"Old Radios" wrote:
> Just wondering - if someone has a later model Audi which maybe
> has a
> broken timing belt or something major with the engine, and
> they're
> interested in unloading it rather than fixing, please email me
> at:
> mjmalin(at)wisc(dot)edu Looking for manual transmission and
> a car that
> is otherwise in nice (and complete) condition.

My 98 A4 Quattro 2.8L 5-speed just experienced a timing belt failure.
I am thinking of not repairing it at the moment.

If you are interested let me know.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Audi-WTD-m...ict107105.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=514505
Old March 30th 05, 05:13 PM
Ian S

"jpmichelson" > wrote in message
news:1_514505_6b61c4a288a9417c3267bffc2d413e28@aut oforumz.com...
> "Old Radios" wrote:
> > Just wondering - if someone has a later model Audi which maybe
> > has a
> > broken timing belt or something major with the engine, and
> > they're
> > interested in unloading it rather than fixing, please email me
> > at:
> > mjmalin(at)wisc(dot)edu Looking for manual transmission and
> > a car that
> > is otherwise in nice (and complete) condition.

> My 98 A4 Quattro 2.8L 5-speed just experienced a timing belt failure.
> I am thinking of not repairing it at the moment.

Just curious as to how many miles were on the TB when it failed.

Old April 2nd 05, 08:38 PM
jpmichelson

"Ian S1" wrote:
> "jpmichelson" > wrote in message
> news:1_514505_6b61c4a288a9417c3267bffc2d413e28@aut oforumz.com...
> > "Old Radios" wrote:

>  > > Just wondering - if someone has a later model Audi
> which maybe
>  > > has a
>  > > broken timing belt or something major with the
> engine, and
>  > > they're
>  > > interested in unloading it rather than fixing,
> please email me
>  > > at:
>  > > mjmalin(at)wisc(dot)edu Looking for manual
> transmission and
>  > > a car that
>  > > is otherwise in nice (and complete) condition.
> >
> > My 98 A4 Quattro 2.8L 5-speed just experienced a timing belt

> failure.
> > I am thinking of not repairing it at the moment.
> >

> Just curious as to how many miles were on the TB when it
> failed.

Ian,

There were 114424 miles on it when it went.

I know that the recommended mileage for replacement is 90k max... It
appears that both I and the delaership that performed all the
maintenance missed that critical component during the 90K service.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Audi-WTD-m...ict107105.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=517451
Old April 3rd 05, 06:07 PM
Ian S

"jpmichelson" > wrote in message
news:1_517451_2150ce7a53a6b3f3ea8fa42e28394578@aut oforumz.com...
> "Ian S1" wrote:
> > "jpmichelson" > wrote in message
> > news:1_514505_6b61c4a288a9417c3267bffc2d413e28@aut oforumz.com...
> > > "Old Radios" wrote:

> >  > > Just wondering - if someone has a later model Audi
> > which maybe
> >  > > has a
> >  > > broken timing belt or something major with the
> > engine, and
> >  > > they're
> >  > > interested in unloading it rather than fixing,
> > please email me
> >  > > at:
> >  > > mjmalin(at)wisc(dot)edu Looking for manual
> > transmission and
> >  > > a car that
> >  > > is otherwise in nice (and complete) condition.
> > >
> > > My 98 A4 Quattro 2.8L 5-speed just experienced a timing belt

> > failure.
> > > I am thinking of not repairing it at the moment.
> > >

> > Just curious as to how many miles were on the TB when it
> > failed.

> Ian,
>
> There were 114424 miles on it when it went.
>
> I know that the recommended mileage for replacement is 90k max... It
> appears that both I and the delaership that performed all the
> maintenance missed that critical component during the 90K service.

If you were having all the maintenance done by the book by that dealer, then
I think they bear a lot of the responsibility for the damage done by the TB
failure. I would think you'd have a good case for them to pay for the
repairs.

Old April 4th 05, 11:25 PM
jpmichelson

"Ian S1" wrote:
> "jpmichelson" > wrote in message
> news:1_517451_2150ce7a53a6b3f3ea8fa42e28394578@aut oforumz.com...
> > "Ian S1" wrote:

>  > > "jpmichelson" >
> wrote in message
>  > >
> news:1_514505_6b61c4a288a9417c3267bffc2d413e28@aut oforumz.com...
>   > > > "Old Radios" wrote:
>  > >  > > Just wondering - if someone has a
> later model Audi
>  > > which maybe
>  > >  > > has a
>  > >  > > broken timing belt or something
> major with the
>  > > engine, and
>  > >  > > they're
>  > >  > > interested in unloading it rather
> than fixing,
>  > > please email me
>  > >  > > at:
>  > >  > > mjmalin(at)wisc(dot)edu Looking
> for manual
>  > > transmission and
>  > >  > > a car that
>  > >  > > is otherwise in nice (and
> complete) condition.
>   > > >
>   > > > My 98 A4 Quattro 2.8L 5-speed just
> experienced a timing belt
>  > > failure.
>   > > > I am thinking of not repairing it at the
> moment.
>   > > >
>  > > Just curious as to how many miles were on the TB
> when it
>  > > failed.
> >
> > Ian,
> >
> > There were 114424 miles on it when it went.
> >
> > I know that the recommended mileage for replacement is 90k

> max... It
> > appears that both I and the delaership that performed all

> the
> > maintenance missed that critical component during the 90K

> service.
>
> If you were having all the maintenance done by the book by
> that dealer, then
> I think they bear a lot of the responsibility for the damage
> done by the TB
> failure. I would think you'd have a good case for them to pay
> for the
> repairs.
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request

> standards
> > Topic URL:

> http://www.autoforumz.com/Audi-WTD-m...ict107105.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report

> abuse:
> http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=517451

Ian,

I am working that angle. I am not very hopeful though.

I did speak with Audi of America and their position is that all their
dealers are independant entities and they cannot interceed on my
behalf and that I should work with the dealership to resolve this
issue. Basically thanks for the $$, now hit the road, so much for
owner loyalty.

I am also considering consulting an attorney to see what my legal
standing is.

There was significant turnaround at this particular dealership during
the time that the 90K service was performed that could help my case.

cheers,

jim