Falken FK-451 Tyres

Old March 11th 05, 11:01 AM

Default Falken FK-451 Tyres

Does anyone run Falken FK-451 tyres on a 156? Was thinking about
trying them.

Rgds

Stuart

Old March 11th 05, 09:45 PM
alfistagj

> schreef in bericht
oups.com...
> Does anyone run Falken FK-451 tyres on a 156?

No

>Was thinking about trying them.

Do yourself a favor: Don't!!
My advise would depend on what engine 156 and what tyre size.
Let us know.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old March 12th 05, 10:00 PM
Mr Flipflops

"alfistagj" > wrote in message
. ..

> > schreef in bericht
> oups.com...
>> Does anyone run Falken FK-451 tyres on a 156?

> No
>
>>Was thinking about trying them.

> Do yourself a favor: Don't!!
> My advise would depend on what engine 156 and what tyre size.
> Let us know.
> --
> Ciao from Holland
> AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)
> Rosso Radicofani GT 2.0JTS
> Golden Montreal 1428700 (1973/4)

2.5 V6 205/55/16.

Why do you say don't?

Old March 12th 05, 10:01 PM
Mr Flipflops

"Antti" > wrote in message
> said the following on 11.3.2005 13:01:
>> Does anyone run Falken FK-451 tyres on a 156? Was thinking about
>> trying them.
>>
>> Rgds
>>
>> Stuart

http://www.falken-europe.de/common/i..._0403_enen.pdf

Ah ha, thanks for that, it would seem they're not that bad after all.

Old March 13th 05, 05:39 PM
alfistagj

"Mr Flipflops" > schreef in bericht
> "alfistagj" > wrote in message
>>

> 2.5 V6 205/55/16.
>
> Why do you say don't?

Combination of reasons, but must admit never having even seen a Falken tyre
;-(
First of all, all cars are set up by the factory to a certain tyre, and
Falken is certainly NEVER been used by Alfa.
Traditionally, Alfa's are set up to Michelin, Pirelli and Goodyear, although
(mainly in the lesser powered modells) they also put Firestone (brrrrr) on
the cars.
Secondly, the test further down in this thread, is for an 18" tyre size.
Don't make the mistake many people make by thinking that all other sizes are
equally good or bad. Not only the type/modell is important, but within a
type/modell the various sizes are important as well as is the period they
are made. A 2004 production tyre may well be quite different than the 2005
one because of small design/production changes.
Thirdly, search i.e. Google for tests of tyres. You will find many many
sites with "independent" tyre tests that include user comments. The referred
test above is published on the Falken website; they will hardly publish a
test with bad results. What I have found about the FK451 is almost for 100%
for 17"/18" and 235 and wider and not for your size. And the tests show it
to be a middle of the road tyre with very few users that would buy the tyre
again!!
When comparing, try to get testresults made with front drive high HP cars
like the 2.5V6. Don't bother looking at a test featuring rear wheel drive
M*** of B** when you want to compare handling, comfort etc. You may compare
them for noise, wear and comparison in respect to aquaplaning and braking
(wet/dry)
Forthly, it does matter how you drive. If you drive like my 93 year old
neighbour, get some cheap covers. Good enough. When you think you're Michael
Schumacher, do your self a favor and go for a good tyre. But think of it
this way, even the best tyre is the best because of a combination of factors
in relation to another tyre as well as in relation to the way yuo use them.
So if you live in a Mediterenean area, why bother comparing tyres on
aquaplaning and braking in the wet; go for the best "dry" tyre. But never
let you decision be based on price. Even the most expensive tyre (i.e.
Michelin) will cost you very little per mile and when you compare the price
per mile, the cheapest tyre may well be more expensive than the Michelin!!

Old March 13th 05, 07:14 PM
Tony Rickard

"alfistagj" wrote:

> > Why do you say don't?

> Combination of reasons, but must admit never having even seen a Falken

tyre
> ;-(
> First of all, all cars are set up by the factory to a certain tyre, and
> Falken is certainly NEVER been used by Alfa.
> Traditionally, Alfa's are set up to Michelin, Pirelli and Goodyear,

although
> (mainly in the lesser powered modells) they also put Firestone (brrrrr) on
> the cars.

I always thought all the manufacturers (Alfa included) put on whatever half
decent tyre they could negotiate a good price for. My Alfa came on Contis, I
replaced them when worn with similarly priced Bridgestone Potenzas and the
car feels much better. The other Alfas in the showroom were on Pirellis as I
recall.

Old March 13th 05, 11:08 PM
alfistagj

Old March 14th 05, 12:09 AM
VMax

"alfistagj" > wrote in message

> "Mr Flipflops" > schreef in bericht
>> "alfistagj" > wrote in message
>>>

>> 2.5 V6 205/55/16.
>>
>> Why do you say don't?

> Combination of reasons, but must admit never having even seen a Falken
> tyre ;-(
> First of all, all cars are set up by the factory to a certain tyre, and
> Falken is certainly NEVER been used by Alfa.
> Traditionally, Alfa's are set up to Michelin, Pirelli and Goodyear,
> although (mainly in the lesser powered modells) they also put Firestone
> (brrrrr) on the cars.
> Secondly, the test further down in this thread, is for an 18" tyre size.
> Don't make the mistake many people make by thinking that all other sizes
> are equally good or bad. Not only the type/modell is important, but within
> a type/modell the various sizes are important as well as is the period
> they are made. A 2004 production tyre may well be quite different than the
> 2005 one because of small design/production changes.
> Thirdly, search i.e. Google for tests of tyres. You will find many many
> sites with "independent" tyre tests that include user comments. The
> referred test above is published on the Falken website; they will hardly
> publish a test with bad results. What I have found about the FK451 is
> almost for 100% for 17"/18" and 235 and wider and not for your size. And
> the tests show it to be a middle of the road tyre with very few users that
> would buy the tyre again!!
> When comparing, try to get testresults made with front drive high HP cars
> like the 2.5V6. Don't bother looking at a test featuring rear wheel drive
> M*** of B** when you want to compare handling, comfort etc. You may
> compare them for noise, wear and comparison in respect to aquaplaning and
> braking (wet/dry)
> Forthly, it does matter how you drive. If you drive like my 93 year old
> neighbour, get some cheap covers. Good enough. When you think you're
> Michael Schumacher, do your self a favor and go for a good tyre. But think
> of it this way, even the best tyre is the best because of a combination of
> factors in relation to another tyre as well as in relation to the way yuo
> use them. So if you live in a Mediterenean area, why bother comparing
> tyres on aquaplaning and braking in the wet; go for the best "dry" tyre.
> But never let you decision be based on price. Even the most expensive tyre
> (i.e. Michelin) will cost you very little per mile and when you compare
> the price per mile, the cheapest tyre may well be more expensive than the
> Michelin!!
> --
> Ciao from Holland
> AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)
> Rosso Radicofani GT 2.0JTS
> Golden Montreal 1428700 (1973/4)

Hi,

Really don't understand the "brrrrr" behind the Firestones.
Just had my tires replaced, all four, and the workshop offered to put
Firestones TZ200 on.
After driving for a while I must say that I'm surprised.......
The tyre is up-to-standards and definitely worth a try................

If you want info check www.tyretest.com and draw your own conclusions
but don't dismiss a tyre just by it's name....

I know that Pireli sound good, but do they stand up to the oncoming
competition?
Price can be an issue, but you can also buy some real expensive
Sh*t...........
Lots of good tyres around if you're willing to give it a try.............
Don't be fooled by a brand name, and accompanying prices, but look around.

And for all our benefits, leave the opinions in the group.....

Cheers

--
VMax

164 TS (1997-2000), 146 JTD (2000-2003)
147 JTD Ed. Limitata, tuned (150BHP, 365Nm), Eibach lowered, Ragazon exhaust

A4 tyres Glenn Richards Audi 45 December 28th 04 05:43 PM
Tyres again Tony Rickard Alfa Romeo 8 December 1st 04 09:17 PM
Goodyear Wrangler AT/R Expedtion Report Peter Strong 4x4 2 September 7th 04 07:05 PM
New tyres best on rear wheels? Alex Audi 5 August 23rd 04 05:59 AM
Tyres: Best foot forward? or back? Buzzardous Cross Alfa Romeo 38 August 21st 04 10:31 PM