Are these people insane?

Old March 9th 05, 01:47 PM
Phuoc Nghuy

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 02:19:39 +0000, 223rem wrote:

> A few day ago I was driving on I465 (the multilane belt around Indy). I
> moved to the rightmost (first) lane to pass a white SUV with smoked
> windows doing maybe 60 in the second lane. Note that the rightmost was
> the only free lane at that point. Not far ahead of us, a semi was
> merging from a on-ramp, so my plan was to pass the SUV (on the right)
> and then pass the semi on the left. Well, the ****head in the SUV
> accelerates, trying to trap me behind the slowly merging semi and force
> me to brake violently. I had to accelarate to 100 mph to get around him!
> Made it around the semi with yards to spare. ****, 100 mph on a 55 mph
> road, I'd have been arrested if a cop had caught me, but it was that or
> slamming in the back of the semi.
>
> Are these SUV people insane? Do they have a wish to die in a road rage
> incident?

Seems to me like there were two ****wits.

The SUV driver had a problem with aggression, and you had a problem of
judgement dealing with it. If it became obvious that the SUV driver was
intent on (and capable of) matching your acceleration rate then you should
have backed off and felt sorry for the guy (or gal).

Instead you participated in a pathological game of primate brinkmanship
"with yards to spare".

I wonder if Lord Darwin will ultimately reward or punish the SUV
aggression meme?

Unrelated to SUVs but related to primate behaviour is the road toll in
China which is now running at 300 killed per day and rapidly growing.

Thats a lot of Soylent Green and grateful organ transplant recipients.

Phuoc
Old March 9th 05, 05:09 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, 223rem wrote:

> Not far ahead of us, a semi was merging from a on-ramp, so my plan was
> to pass the SUV (on the right) and then pass the semi on the left.

You were doing fine until that part about passing on the right.

> The ****head in the SUV accelerates, trying to trap me behind the slowly
> merging semi and force me to brake violently.

Or trying to prevent your improper pass.

> I had to accelarate to 100 mph ****, 100 mph on a 55 mph road, I'd have
> been arrested if a cop had caught me

And I'm sure both the cop and the subsequent judge would've been very
impressed with your explanation that you "had to" accelerate to 100mph.

> but it was that or slamming in the back of the semi.

Or, y'know, option 'C': Back off, take a breath, wait for the temporary
snarl to clear up, and be on your way.

> Are these SUV people insane? Do they have a wish to die in a road rage
> incident?

Psst! Hey, kettle...you're lookin' a little black around the edges.
Signed, Pot.
Old March 9th 05, 05:11 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Phuoc Nghuy wrote:

> Unrelated to SUVs but related to primate behaviour is the road toll in
> China which is now running at 300 killed per day and rapidly growing.

Works for me.

Old March 9th 05, 06:40 PM
Brent P

In article ich.edu>, Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> Or trying to prevent your improper pass.

So you stay behind LLBs until they exit?

Old March 9th 05, 06:50 PM
Larry Bud

> Absolutely. But that doesn't make them control freaks. They're
> psychopaths.

Pot, meet kettle.

Old March 9th 05, 08:46 PM
Garth Almgren

Around 3/8/2005 7:21 PM, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 02:19:39 GMT, 223rem > wrote:
>

>>I moved to the rightmost (first) lane to pass a white SUV

> As an aside, your lane numbering is backwards. The leftmost lane is
> the #1 lane; the rightmost lane would be the #3, #4, #5, or whatever
> number of lanes that particular stretch of freeway has.

Not in WA, though I can't imagine the WSDOT's reasoning for going
against the flow, so to speak.

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
Old March 9th 05, 09:19 PM
TCS

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 21:50:53 -0600, Brent P > wrote:
>In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>> BTW, the exact same thing happened to me a few months ago when I was
>> driving my pickup truck. Some assholes in a white Suburban
>> (coincidence?) were LLBing on I-10 just north of Tucson. When I was
>> stuck behind them, they would drive 65 - 70 MPH; when I would attempt
>> to pass them on the right, the driver would speed up and the passenger
>> would look out his window at me and laugh. I had to take the truck up
>> to over 100 MPH to pass Beavis and Butthead.

>You'll love the idiots I ran into on IL53.

>They hit it. The red one is half on the left shoulder as it passes me,
>the black one is going to come up my ass, so I brake. He cuts around me
>and nails the brakes... wooptie do, I put $900 in the braking system for
>a reason, it's uneventful. They both take off cutting people off, etc. I

I once had some idiot chasing and tailgating me at 20mph over the speed
limit and who obviously intended to have an accident and take me with him. I
hit the brakes and the the clown went by my left side... in front of me
turned 90 degrees and pointing at the right sidewalk where he went sailing
off the road and landed in some guy's back yard 10 feet below. Interesting
tactic. Not one I'd personally do and it took me a week to figure out what
the hell happened. The idiot had tried to ram me and I wasn't there; I
had hit my brakes for real. He turned his steering wheel hard to the right
and sailed right off the road. I didn't have $900 into the braking system
and the car was just a crappy mazda 626 but the brakes were in good condition.

Old March 9th 05, 09:28 PM
Arif Khokar

TCS wrote:

> I once had some idiot chasing and tailgating me at 20mph over the speed
> limit and who obviously intended to have an accident and take me with him.

Interesting. How did this whole thing start out?