Some things never change...........

Old March 8th 05, 05:39 AM
John Henry

Default Some things never change...........

You guys crack me up.....

The "Shag topics", the "Jan answers", John Conolly, etc. RAMVA is still
the same, nothing really changes.

Idle moment, reading my RAMVA (don't do that much at all lately) haven't
finished my 'cube yet (Jan, remember?), can't go to bed just yet.....

Hope everyone is doing well, I'm just waiting for the snow to melt here
in New England (4-8" coming tomorrow night....). Have to rebuild the
generator in the '50 by spring, and the '57 (yeah, old "Zinny") made a
"pop" sound when I drove it into the shelter for winter last Dec., and
the clutch pedal had to be pressed about twice as far to disengage it
(smart money's on the center weld of the clutch cable tube having broken
loose, time for some ugly surgery...............)... but I'm still around.

I'll have some pics of the new "Man Cave", the detached shop in my new
house, later.. I'll post links.....

Take care,

John Henry
Zarwerks(.com)

Old March 8th 05, 06:04 AM
Neil

Snow? What's that?? We're expecting 71º here in sunny Idaho tomorrow. We
haven't had snow on the ground here in my part of the state (south
east/Boise) yet this winter. While that's good for my hog farm (no deep
mud), it's bad for all the other farmers. Welcome back, John. Stick around
for a while....

Neil

Old March 8th 05, 07:57 AM
Jan

John Henry wrote:

> You guys crack me up.....
>
> The "Shag topics", the "Jan answers", John Conolly, etc. RAMVA is still
> the same, nothing really changes.

Why change perfection

> Idle moment, reading my RAMVA (don't do that much at all lately) haven't
> finished my 'cube yet (Jan, remember?),

I most certainly do hehehehe
I have spread our religion around actively, and our congregation of
'cube worshippers has grown nicely.

> Hope everyone is doing well, I'm just waiting for the snow to melt here
> in New England (4-8" coming tomorrow night....). Have to rebuild the
> generator in the '50 by spring, and the '57 (yeah, old "Zinny") made a
> "pop" sound when I drove it into the shelter for winter last Dec., and
> the clutch pedal had to be pressed about twice as far to disengage it
> (smart money's on the center weld of the clutch cable tube having broken
> loose, time for some ugly surgery...............)... but I'm still around.

Would like to see you here more John... We miss you
<big manly hug with no tongue>

> I'll have some pics of the new "Man Cave", the detached shop in my new
> house, later.. I'll post links.....

yea go ahead, make us hate ya

Me, I'm forced to move out of my house, losing my sauna, yard, heated
garage and 3 workshop rooms...
Moving out this coming summer. House changed ownership and new owner
wants to move in. I was renting teh place and it was supposed to be
secure for years to come. Not that it matters anyway, I have bigger
plans involving a certain Florida babe and moving out of this house
anyway...

> Take care,
>
> John Henry
> Zarwerks(.com)

You too John, and don't be a stranger anymore.. you know this is home
for you

Jan
Old March 8th 05, 10:40 AM
tricky

Hi John

I am relativly new to RAMVA, but have been reading your site for age's !

Now without trying to sound like a teenage pop fan - I just wanted to
take the opportuninty to say "Hi" Love the site, I Keep checking for
updates ! I have a mirror on my harddrive to make reading quicker !
Nice to sorta meet you

Rich

Old March 8th 05, 11:55 AM
Shag

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:39:55 -0500, John Henry >
wrote:

>You guys crack me up.....
>
>The "Shag topics", the "Jan answers", John Conolly, etc. RAMVA is still
>the same, nothing really changes.

When I become a part of "the standard" or "the norm" there is
something VERY WRONG going on. :-) Good to hear from you, John! I'm
glad things are going well for you.

>Idle moment, reading my RAMVA (don't do that much at all lately) haven't
>finished my 'cube yet (Jan, remember?), can't go to bed just yet.....
>
>Hope everyone is doing well, I'm just waiting for the snow to melt here
>in New England (4-8" coming tomorrow night....). Have to rebuild the
>generator in the '50 by spring, and the '57 (yeah, old "Zinny") made a
>"pop" sound when I drove it into the shelter for winter last Dec., and
>the clutch pedal had to be pressed about twice as far to disengage it
>(smart money's on the center weld of the clutch cable tube having broken
>loose, time for some ugly surgery...............)... but I'm still around.
>
>I'll have some pics of the new "Man Cave", the detached shop in my new
>house, later.. I'll post links.....
>
>Take care,
>
>John Henry
>Zarwerks(.com)

---
"There's nothing wrong with a little shooting as long as the right people get shot."
- Inspector Harry Callahan
Old March 8th 05, 10:54 PM
bob

hey john
i'm still here lurking, and learning. oh, crap ! just broke my semi lurker
status. good to see you stop in.
kathy meyers stopped in the other day. i like her. she reminds me of an
old ex hippie friend of mine that is also my personal vw guru.

keep up the good work on the bugshop. i refer to it occasionaly (sp?).

--
bob
http://photos.yahoo.com/ysail1

Old March 9th 05, 01:22 AM
John Henry

"<big manly hug with no tongue>"

Thank God. A visual I can do without.

My "roots" are always at RAMVA........

Old March 9th 05, 02:04 AM
John Henry

Nice to hear from you Bob, I remember you too..

Ok, heres a directory I set up on my ISP:

http://webpages.charter.net/zarwerks/misc/mancave/

The pics may not be in any particular order. Just click on them one at
a time, then hit your back button and select the next one.

I moved last summer, bought a new house about 45 mins from my old one.
No one big reason for moving, but lots of small ones. The house had a 2
car garage attached, and a 2 car detached garage. Of course I was all
over that!!!

So the building was a "bare stud walls" building. Last year, I built 22
ft. of work benches, custom storage drawers, shelves. Installed my big
old fat compressor from my old house in the corner. Ran copper air
lines up and over to the work bench, adding "pull down" air (always
wanted that...!) along the way. An air tap outside the shop lets me do
pressure blasting from a pressure pop (sand blasting) out in the woods
off the yard.

The lower 4' of the walls are painted plywood, the upper 5' drywall.

In Dec, I installed a 100K BTU Ruud furnace I got from an HVAC
contractor ($200). Cost me $700 to have an underground nat gas line
installed to it. But that thing is the bomb! Work in a T shirt out
there when it is 9 degrees outside! I will drywall the ceiling this summer.

Part of the deal for the '51 standard sunroof (an "11E") I bought in '02
was to remove a '52 standard that had had the roof cut off and was
behind this guy's barn for 26 years. Needless to say it was QUITE
rusty. The dash was perforated in a few places, but I couldn't just
throw a split dash away.

So I endeavored to make some "wall art" out if it and after welding an
angle iron frame behind it, mounted it over the door in my shop. My
vintage friends donated all kinds of stuff it needed, including some
tattered split glove boxes. One buddy of mine even drove by with a
birds nest!

I gutted an old split pod clock and engineered a battery operated
movement in there, so it keeps "real" time. I can even change the
battery without taking the whole thing down off the wall. The steering
wheel spins, and notice that everything on the dash is basically cracked
or broken. The plate below it it is the body number and ID plate from
that car. VERY rusty.

The fridge from the old house is in there, stocked with a wide selection
of beer, and I have cable and high speed internet wired out there as
well. Stereo of course, and Black Beauty and glass bead blasting cabinets.

Life is good, I can't complain. Haven't done much on the '51 yet, both
the '50 and '57 will need some minor repairs before spring/summer
driving season. Zarwerks has kept me pretty busy, but "funds" my hobby
well.

Anyway, enjoy the pics, y'all be good. Nice to hear back from you guys,
thanks for the kind words!

JH

Old March 9th 05, 02:18 AM
bob

ok, john,
i'm copying your drawers !! 1 by 4's ?? they look simple to make.

how wide are they??
did you have to use heavy duty drawer guides??

hey, a good idea is a good idea. and they look like a good idea for me.

Old March 9th 05, 03:37 AM
John Henry

Top ones are 1x4s, bottoms 1x6s. Had a friend who makes furniture
rabbit the corners for me. 100lb rated ball bearing full extension
slides (HD, about $27/pr It think). Sides are grooved about 1/2" from
the bottoms. The bottoms are 1/8" masonite, but it must be screwed to
the "1 by" cross dividers or it will sag.

They are fantastic for storing tools, etc. mine are a full 2' deep and
42' wide (I think). Had some shallower ones in my old place, had to
replace them... with twice as many and bigger ones.

I found some U channel aluminum extrusion at McMaster (.com) and made
the barces for the slip in cross dividers that are 1/4" masonite. Look
close, you can see them in one of the pics.