Copy of email to [email protected]

Old March 8th 05, 07:00 PM
Marcus Houlden

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:55:35 -0500, Neil >
wrote the following to uk.misc:

> For everyone's benefit, there is an excellent
> explanation of the history of top-posting and bottom-posting he
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

And a few words to describe Andy Turner he
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/WikiSaurus:fool

He does tend to pop up when there's a row going on. He doesn't add anything;
he just likes moaning.

mh.
--
Reply-to address *is* valid. "From" address is a blackhole.

"If you don't vote, you get morons in charge."
- Maurice Chavez (GTA Vice City)
Old March 8th 05, 07:22 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

This is such a silly discussion I can't resist joining in (again).

Nice extract from that Wikipedia link (edited):-

Objections to top-posting, as a general rule, seem to come from persons who
first went online in the earlier days of Usenet, and in communities that
date to Usenet's early days, [...] . Etiquette is looser (as is almost
everything) in the alt hierarchy. Newer online participants, especially
those with limited experience of Usenet, tend as a general rule, to be less
sensitive to top-posting, and tend to reject any argument against
top-posting as irrelevant. A typical contrarian view holds that their
software top-posts and they like it.

It may be that users used to older, terminal-oriented software which was
unable to easily show references to posts being replied to, learned to
prefer the summary that not top-posting gives; it's also likely that the
general slower propagation times of the original Usenet groups made that
summary a useful reminder of older posts. As news and mail readers have
become more capable, and as propagation times have grown shorter, newer
users may find top-posting more efficient."

As it is I manually delete the two hyphens that delineate the signature
because it has some advserse effect, I understand for Mozilla users. My
newsreader automatically inserts the hyphens.

DAS

---

[...]

Old March 8th 05, 07:23 PM
Mary Pegg

Andy Turner wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 17:26:30 GMT, Mary Pegg
> > wrote:
>
>>Andy Turner wrote:
>>
>>> Here's a question. When a message is cross-posted (as this thread is),
>>> between groups, which group's standards should apply?

>>All that are applicable. If it is not possible to post in a mutually
>>acceptable manner, then one should not post at all.

> LOL!
>
> So when replying to this thread, did you check the FAQs of all groups
> it's posted to?

And your point is?

--
Happy, sad, cross and concentrating.
Old March 8th 05, 08:01 PM
bof

In message >, Dori A
Schmetterling > writes

>As it is I manually delete the two hyphens that delineate the signature
>because it has some advserse effect, I understand for Mozilla users. My
>newsreader automatically inserts the hyphens.

If I understand this correctly, you're top posting, then deleting the
sig sep because it performs it's intended function and hides everything
following it for those who don't want to read sigs, because in your top
posting case this includes everything you're quoting. Astonishing.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old March 8th 05, 08:34 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Mary Pegg" > wrote
> Andy Turner wrote:
>> Self-centredness is having your head so much up your own arse that you
>> believe that the preferences of you and others are the only
>> preferences that must be allowed and that they must be forced on those
>> who have different preferences.

> Nobody's forcing anybody to do anything.
>
> Least of all post to, or read, uk.misc. However those that choose to
> post to uk.misc are requested to abide by the norms of the group.

The problem is that *you* and the other regular posters to auk.misc
don't own the "group". Nor do the posters to alt.autos.bmw own it.
Nor does the US own the internet, etc. (If you want moderated
discussion, join a moderated group.)

You have to take the bad (trolls and top/bottom posting, poor clipping)
with the good (which is *really* good): free speech and discussion.

Floyd
Old March 8th 05, 08:38 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Andy Turner" > wrote
> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 14:39:33 GMT, Mary Pegg wrote:
>>Least of all post to, or read, uk.misc. However those that choose to
>>post to uk.misc are requested to abide by the norms of the group.

> Here's a question. When a message is cross-posted (as this thread is),
> between groups, which group's standards should apply?

Well, that's a good question, and is complicated by the fact
that the OP x-posted ALT groups with REC and other groups
that have wildly different original charters, and probably FAQs.

Floyd
Old March 8th 05, 08:43 PM

Costing the net hundreds if not thousands of dollars, Dori A
Schmetterling said:
> As it is I manually delete the two hyphens that delineate the signature
> because it has some advserse effect, I understand for Mozilla users. My
> newsreader automatically inserts the hyphens.

I hadn't heard that, but hey.
It's hyphen hyphen space return, to be strict.
If you leave out the space, standards-conformant newsreaders won't
recognise it as a sigsep

--
tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger
Old March 8th 05, 08:52 PM
Mary Pegg

fbloogyudsr wrote:

> The problem is that *you* and the other regular posters to auk.misc
> don't own the "group". Nor do the posters to alt.autos.bmw own it.
> Nor does the US own the internet, etc. (If you want moderated
> discussion, join a moderated group.)

NS,S.

> You have to take the bad (trolls and top/bottom posting, poor clipping)

Err, no we don't.

--
Happy, sad, cross and concentrating.
Old March 8th 05, 09:49 PM
Dean Dark

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:33:21 +0000 (UTC), Andy Turner
> wrote:

>>once I did present my *subsequent* point based on *your* answer, you
>>did get rather confused and believe it was some sort of strawman. I'd
>>like to think you
>>

>Ack, I clearly hadn't finished writing that bit.. I'll try again:
>
>>>I have no way of knowing what your fevered mind is "moving towards"
>>>before you have articulated (and I use the term loosely) it.

>Nope, and no-one expected you to. However, you only got confused about
>it *after* I'd presented it (you quoted it after all..), not "before".
>However, once I did present my *subsequent* point based on *your*
>answer, you did get rather confused and believe it was some sort of
>strawman WRT the original question.

Since metaphor is too subtle for you, I have concluded that the best
course of action in this case is for you to bypass it and to literally
plunge your head into a bucketful of **** and see if you gag. Please
report back with your findings.

This is *very important* to you, isn't it? I think you should have
the last word, you'll probably burst a nut if you don't. Sad.
--
Dean Dark
Old March 8th 05, 09:54 PM
Cockburn

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message

> This is *very important* to you, isn't it? I think you should have
> the last word, you'll probably burst a nut if you don't. Sad.

Nice One, Dean!

(f/u set)