Singapore/wood shrimp in community tank

Old September 29th 05, 10:56 AM
Erin (Eugene)

Default Singapore/wood shrimp in community tank

Hi all, apologies if this is an inappropriate question, as I am a
beginner to aquaria and also using a new newsgroup reader.

I have a very small (10 g) freshwater tank with two neons (remnants
from a school that was bought too early into cycling--beginner's
mistake--and we're unsure what to do with them now), two paleatus
cories, and one zebra loach. At their current size this is about 3.5
inches of fish. Naturally they will grow.

Anyway, we were wanting to get one of those nifty filter feeders, the
singapore aka wood shrimp. However, I'm unsure of how aggressive these
guys are--would they go for the neons or even the cories? I'm fairly
sure, on the other hand, that the botia is safe from pretty much
anything we'd put in that tank, but I'm not sure the shrimp would be
safe from *him*!!

Any suggestions/advice?

One other, unrelated question. We also have a 5 gal tank containing
only an apple snail and two cherry red shrimp to live on his back. I am
now aware that we are supposed to dose the shrimp with iodine, but I'm
not sure of the ramifications of that on the snail. Suggestions on
that?

Thanks in advance!!

Old September 30th 05, 08:07 PM
Elaine T

Erin (Eugene) wrote:
[...]

What are you planning to feed the shrimp? My understanding is that
Singapore shrimp like green water and/or infusoria to filter but I could
be wrong. Maintaining a filter feeder in only 10 gallons of water may
be a bit harder than you anticipate.

As for iodine, I stopped bothering with it a couple of months ago and my
Amano shrimp are perfectly fine. I think there's probably enough in
most people's tap water for FW shrimp. Iodine doesn't hurt snails,
judging by all the *@#$& ramshorns in my tanks.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old September 30th 05, 10:25 PM
Erin (Eugene)

Shrimp feeding, I was under the impression that you could either
purchase commercial microfoods or simply grind up flake food into a
fine powder. Do you think this is a no-go?

Thanks for your response, Elaine!

Old September 30th 05, 11:41 PM
Victor Martinez

Erin (Eugene) wrote:
singapore aka wood shrimp. However, I'm unsure of how aggressive these
guys are--would they go for the neons or even the cories? I'm fairly

They are not aggressive at all, since they are filter feeders. However,
like the other poster mentioned, they can be hard to sustain.

sure, on the other hand, that the botia is safe from pretty much
anything we'd put in that tank, but I'm not sure the shrimp would be
safe from *him*!!

That would be my concern, loaches are very determined eaters and they
love shrimp.

only an apple snail and two cherry red shrimp to live on his back. I am
now aware that we are supposed to dose the shrimp with iodine, but I'm
not sure of the ramifications of that on the snail. Suggestions on
that?

Iodine shouldn't hurt the snail at all and it is very debated whether or
not they help the shrimp. It doesn't hurt them though, since I use it on
mine and they reproduce like bunnies.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 1st 05, 02:09 AM
Erin (Eugene)

Thanks Victor. I am now in a bit of a quandry, as my boyfriend has had
his heart set on one aquatic animal after another, and they have ALL
been shot down for one reason or another! The Singapore shrimp is the
third candidate.

Given that, my next question is obviously stemming from desperation...

in our non-loach/cory tank, we have a tiny 5-gal that houses the
aforementioned apple snail and two cherry red shrimps. IF we fed the
singapore shrimp (commercial microorganisms or ground up flake food),
am I right in assuming that 2 cherry shrimp, an apple snail and a
singapore shrimp would be too much load for a 5 gal? Biofilter-wise.

Much appreciated everyone for your help for this newbie.

Old October 1st 05, 03:05 AM
Victor Martinez

Erin (Eugene) wrote:
Much appreciated everyone for your help for this newbie.

How much current do you have in the 5g tank? Filter feeders like to
stand in the current and filter away.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 1st 05, 08:42 AM
Erin (Eugene)

How much current do you have in the 5g tank? Filter feeders like to
stand in the current and filter away.

It's so-so. The tank, as we bought it solely for the apple snail
initially, is a Wal-Mart special, very cheap with built in light and
biowheel in the lid, and no heater (we COULD add a heater if necessary,
but so far there's been no problem at all keeping the heat up. In fact
our only problem is keeping it down!).