Dodge Intrepid 3.2L low oil pressure light

Old December 3rd 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Default Dodge Intrepid 3.2L low oil pressure light UPDATE

Greg Houston wrote:

> Bill Putney wrote:

>>Greg - I'm surprised to find that water could make it come on (due to
>>the current needed to light the bulb and no close direct path to ground)
>>- others, including Glenn I think, have told me that could happen, but
>>I've always been skeptical. I guess it's time to start believing it.
>>You do say it only comes on very dimly, so I can save face.

> Well, the oil light is a nice energy efficient LED, so it probably doesn't take
> much juice at all to make it light up a little. If it was a bulb, I"ll bet I
> never would have seen anything.

Well DUH!! (That's sarcasm aimed at myself - not at you.) That would
explain it (LED draws less than 10mA - probably under 5mA - for dim
lighting).

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old December 3rd 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Are you sure that the switch is bad and it's not just shorting the
> terminal to ground through the water that's splashed on it?...

Greg acknowledged that and realizes that replacing the switch is not
necessary, but he's doing it anyway.

> ...Try some
> dielectric grease on the connector and see if that doesn't make the
> problem go away.
>
> good luck
>
> nate

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old December 3rd 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:

> It is normally vented, I didnt know that untill I researched it this
> morning. And the purpose of the TSB was to allow for the vent.

That puzzled me until I read your later post.

This appears to be the sum of the matter:
(1) The connector comes vented from the factory on all except the
'98/'99 2.7L.
(2) All 3.2/3.5 regardless of year come from the factory already vented.
(3) The TSB (removing the rubber seal from the 2nd (unused) connector
wire hole and replacing with a regular wire and terminal to act as a
vent) only applies to the '98/'99 2.7.
(4) The vent wire added according to the TSB is the same as what comes
from the factory on the 3.2.

Is that correct?

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old December 3rd 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ken Weitzel

Bill Putney wrote:
> Greg Houston wrote:
>
>> Bill Putney wrote:

>>> Greg - I'm surprised to find that water could make it come on (due to
>>> the current needed to light the bulb and no close direct path to ground)
>>> - others, including Glenn I think, have told me that could happen, but
>>> I've always been skeptical. I guess it's time to start believing it.
>>> You do say it only comes on very dimly, so I can save face.

>> Well, the oil light is a nice energy efficient LED, so it probably
>> doesn't take
>> much juice at all to make it light up a little. If it was a bulb,
>> I"ll bet I
>> never would have seen anything.

> Well DUH!! (That's sarcasm aimed at myself - not at you.) That would
> explain it (LED draws less than 10mA - probably under 5mA - for dim
> lighting).

Hi...

Hold on a minute before you sarcasize (what? yourself, Bill.

I'd respectfully suggest a second opinion, or another examination
to insure that it really is a led first.

It's very difficult to make a led glow dimly. Once it reaches
breakdown and triggers, it's on sufficiently bright that I doubt
the OP would call it dim.

It can be dimmed a little by first triggering it, and then reducing
the voltage a little, but first must be bright for at least a
millisecond, but it's real hard to hold it there.

Take care.

Ken

Old December 3rd 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> maxpower wrote:
>
> > It is normally vented, I didnt know that untill I researched it this
> > morning. And the purpose of the TSB was to allow for the vent.

> That puzzled me until I read your later post.
>
> This appears to be the sum of the matter:
> (1) The connector comes vented from the factory on all except the
> '98/'99 2.7L.

It does not apply to the 2000 and newer model Because the issue was
fixed after and vents were built into the connector. But if the vent get
stoped up the problem could still occur on all years
> (2) All 3.2/3.5 regardless of year come from the factory already vented.

It is the same set up and the problem occurs on all applications including
the 4 cylinders, 3.3 and 3.8 6cly engine

> (3) The TSB (removing the rubber seal from the 2nd (unused) connector
> wire hole and replacing with a regular wire and terminal to act as a
> vent) only applies to the '98/'99 2.7.

The TSB adds a terminal/wire vent to the connector on the effected years. (I
always remove the seal from the connector)

Old December 3rd 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

teflon tape is the only seal

Old December 3rd 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Greg Houston

maxpower wrote:

> "Greg Houston" > wrote in message
> >

> > maxpower wrote:

> oil

> on

> audible

> and

> far.

> come

> pressure

> saw

> didn't

> from
> > > the

> been

> > > bought

> plan

> seal?
> > > pieces

> > > The oil switch is actually a pressure transducer, but in order for the
> > > switch to work properly it must be vented to atmosphere. The problem is

> when
> > > the vent of the switch gets plugs with dirt or any other contaminates

> such
> > > as oil from the leaking switch. the operation of the switch is altered
> > > because the switch cannot compare the outside air pressure to the oil
> > > pressure created by the engine. clean out the harness end of the switch
> > > thoroughly, I always disassemble the connector and remove the rubber

> seal or
> > > just pull it back. There was a TSB on this back for the 1999 LH to do

> this
> > > plus to add a wire terminal vent.. Do this and your problem will be

> gone..
> >
> > Thanks! The TSB I have for the wire terminal vent says it only applies to

> 2.7L
> > engines though. I have the 3.2L. From what I understand the location of

> the
> > switch in the 2.7L is what makes the vent necessary.
> >

> The TSB applies to 1998 and 99 vehicles that use the one wire oil lite
> system. and this includes the 2.7./ 3.2 The newer ones have had that vent
> installed already. If the newer models get plugged from oil,or dirt or
> whatever a cleaning is all that is needed along with replacing of the switch
> that is leaking.

Hmm. Which TSB are you referring to? The one I'm looking at is 08-36-99
"Engine Oil Pressure Light Flicker", a copy of which may be found online here
(jpeg)
http://mytsb.bravehost.com/ It describes adding the terminal wire/vent to the
oil pressure switch. This one is pretty clear that it only concerns the 2.7L
engine, and it didn't even appear for TSBs applicable for my 3.2L.

> Just curious how many LH's do you have?

I have one LH car, a '99 Intrepid ES with 3.2 Liter engine.

Old December 3rd 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Greg Houston" > wrote in message
> maxpower wrote:

my
> > oil

was
> > on

> > audible

not

level
> > and

too
> > far.

> > come

> > pressure

thought I
> > saw

> > didn't

> > from

had
> > been

recently

> > plan

course

that's

3.2 L

> > seal?

other

the

is
> > when

contaminates
> > such

altered

oil

switch

> > seal or

do
> > this

> > gone..
> > >
> > > Thanks! The TSB I have for the wire terminal vent says it only

applies to
> > 2.7L
> > > engines though. I have the 3.2L. From what I understand the location

of
> > the
> > > switch in the 2.7L is what makes the vent necessary.
> > >

> > The TSB applies to 1998 and 99 vehicles that use the one wire oil lite
> > system. and this includes the 2.7./ 3.2 The newer ones have had that

vent
> > installed already. If the newer models get plugged from oil,or dirt or
> > whatever a cleaning is all that is needed along with replacing of the

switch
> > that is leaking.

> Hmm. Which TSB are you referring to? The one I'm looking at is 08-36-99
> "Engine Oil Pressure Light Flicker", a copy of which may be found online

here
> (jpeg)
> http://mytsb.bravehost.com/ It describes adding the terminal wire/vent

to the
> oil pressure switch. This one is pretty clear that it only concerns the

2.7L
> engine, and it didn't even appear for TSBs applicable for my 3.2L.
>

> > Just curious how many LH's do you have?

> I have one LH car, a '99 Intrepid ES with 3.2 Liter engine.

Just forget it.....replace the switch, clean the connector and be on the way

Old December 4th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

philthy wrote:

> teflon tape is the only seal

He's talking about the rubber seal that blocks the unused wire hole
built into the connector.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old December 4th 06, 11:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Ken Weitzel wrote:

> ...It's very difficult to make a led glow dimly. Once it reaches
> breakdown and triggers, it's on sufficiently bright that I doubt
> the OP would call it dim.

Hmmm - that's not the way LED's work. LED's can be made to be as bright
or as dim as you want them as long as they are seeing their forward
conduction voltage - you can vary brightness with a variable resistor,
adjusting it back and forth in a continuum of brightness with no
hysteresis - a potentiometer something on the order of 10k ohm
configured as a variable resistor would illustrate this. They don't
experience breakdown with huge hysteresis like a flash lamp or neon bulb
where it takes more voltage to start it (initial ionization potential)
than it does to maintain it. A relatively high resistance drain to
ground would do it.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

Oil Pressure Alert/Check Engine Light? CWLee Ford Explorer 1 May 17th 06 03:31 PM
Mopar Oil Filter Number(s) do not spam Chrysler 3 January 7th 06 01:18 PM
Oil Light Flicker - 2001 Intrepid 2.7 L Phil Chrysler 8 January 1st 06 01:15 AM
Oil Pressure Light scsd094 Saturn 2 November 22nd 05 03:00 PM
Tire Pressure Monitor Luke Corvette 56 September 3rd 05 10:11 PM