Safety of driving in Mexico

Old October 15th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
[email protected]

Default Safety of driving in Mexico

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but: how safe is
driving in Mexico for a woman alone? My wife is planning to make a
trip to Puerta Vallarta [and back, of course, crossing the border in
Laredo] in a few months and we were busily/happily working on the early
arrangements... but: one alarmist friend was abhorred by the idea, and
painted pictures that sounded like they were out of a bad B-movie [you
know, body dumped by the road, car stolen, etc]. Now, I think that's
crazy stuff [and our friend is being WAY overly concerned and
paranoid], but now it has got my wife wondering: she'll be driving a
LONG way across Mexico, she'll be by herself, and she has only a
modest/small knowledge of Spanish [but she *is* working on that last
part..)].

Anyhow, any advice, info, etc, about her embarking on such a trip?
Thanks!
/Bernie\

Old October 15th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Billzz

> wrote in message
ps.com...
>I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but: how safe is
> driving in Mexico for a woman alone? My wife is planning to make a
> trip to Puerta Vallarta [and back, of course, crossing the border in
> Laredo] in a few months and we were busily/happily working on the early
> arrangements... but: one alarmist friend was abhorred by the idea, and
> painted pictures that sounded like they were out of a bad B-movie [you
> know, body dumped by the road, car stolen, etc]. Now, I think that's
> crazy stuff [and our friend is being WAY overly concerned and
> paranoid], but now it has got my wife wondering: she'll be driving a
> LONG way across Mexico, she'll be by herself, and she has only a
> modest/small knowledge of Spanish [but she *is* working on that last
> part..)].
>
> Anyhow, any advice, info, etc, about her embarking on such a trip?
> Thanks!
> /Bernie\

This what the State Department says:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...onal_1174.html

They always understate the danger.

916 miles, driving 9 to 5, equals 2 days, 2 hours. (at US driving speeds -
a lot more on Mexican roads)

Do a Google on "driving mexico warning" and you'll get almost 6 million
things to look at.

I wouldn't do it.

Old October 15th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
223rem[_2_]

Let's see... American woman ignorant of the language, customs and
place, driving all by herself in a third world country where Americans
are hated. Insane.

Old October 16th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Sir Lex

wrote:
> I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but: how safe is
> driving in Mexico for a woman alone? My wife is planning to make a
> trip to Puerta Vallarta [and back, of course, crossing the border in
> Laredo] in a few months and we were busily/happily working on the early
> arrangements... but: one alarmist friend was abhorred by the idea, and
> painted pictures that sounded like they were out of a bad B-movie [you
> know, body dumped by the road, car stolen, etc]. Now, I think that's
> crazy stuff [and our friend is being WAY overly concerned and
> paranoid], but now it has got my wife wondering: she'll be driving a
> LONG way across Mexico, she'll be by herself, and she has only a
> modest/small knowledge of Spanish [but she *is* working on that last
> part..)].
>
> Anyhow, any advice, info, etc, about her embarking on such a trip?
> Thanks!
> /Bernie\

She'll be safe if she uses common sense.

Stick to main highways. If main highways are not an option, OK, but
don't drive at night. Plan overnight stops and book accommodation for
each night before she leaves the US. Have a planned route and get her
to give you a call when she checks into her hotel each evening, or more
often if you desire. That way, in the unlikely event that something
unfortunate happens, you'll have her last known whereabouts and which
direction she was meant to be heading in.

Make sure she takes with her:
*A roadworthy spare tyre and she knows how to change it.
*Jumper leads and she knows how to use them.
*Spare oil, a gallon or two of water (for the car and for her), duct
tape (can have a thousand uses when driving in the middle of nowhere :-)
), and a basic tool kit.
*A cell phone that works in Mexico.

If you have access to an up to date GPS system, that may help her not to
get lost. If a GPS is not an option, a dash mounted compass will let
her know if she's travelling in the right direction.

My female cousin has been all over Mexico by herself many times without
issue. My sister has been for a few months without issues.

Anywhere on earth can be dangerous for anyone who doesn't plan ahead.

--

SL.

Take back the web.
www.Getfirefox.com

http://www.firefoxflicks.com/flick/?id=20272

Take back your Inbox. www.Getthunderbird.com
Old October 16th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On 15 Oct 2006 14:24:43 -0700, "223rem" > wrote:

>Let's see... American woman ignorant of the language, customs and
>place, driving all by herself in a third world country where Americans
>are hated. Insane.

You forgot the part where hispanic women are routinely treated like 2nd class
citizens in hispanic countries. The men have all the power.

DPH
Old October 16th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Furious George

wrote:
> I know this is going to sound like a stupid question,

There are no stupid questions -- only stupid people

> but: how safe is
> driving in Mexico for a woman alone?

Driving in American for a woman alone is dangerous. Why would Mexico
be safer than America? Puerta Vallarta has an airport. She would be
much better off flying. It is faster, safer, and cheaper.

> My wife is planning to make a
> trip to Puerta Vallarta [and back, of course, crossing the border in
> Laredo] in a few months and we were busily/happily working on the early
> arrangements... but: one alarmist friend was abhorred by the idea, and
> painted pictures that sounded like they were out of a bad B-movie [you
> know, body dumped by the road, car stolen, etc].

All that stuff happens in America. Why wouldn't it happen in Mexico.

> Now, I think that's
> crazy stuff [and our friend is being WAY overly concerned and
> paranoid], but now it has got my wife wondering: she'll be driving a
> LONG way across Mexico, she'll be by herself, and she has only a
> modest/small knowledge of Spanish [but she *is* working on that last
> part..)].

If she insists on going by car, why not hire a
driver/guide/interpreter? Then she would not be travelling alone and
her lack of Spanish ability would not be a great problem.

Old October 16th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

On 15 Oct 2006 13:35:45 -0700, wrote:

>I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but: how safe is
>driving in Mexico for a woman alone? My wife is planning to make a
>trip to Puerta Vallarta [and back, of course, crossing the border in
>Laredo] in a few months and we were busily/happily working on the early
>arrangements... but: one alarmist friend was abhorred by the idea, and
>painted pictures that sounded like they were out of a bad B-movie [you
>know, body dumped by the road, car stolen, etc]. Now, I think that's
>crazy stuff [and our friend is being WAY overly concerned and
>paranoid], but now it has got my wife wondering: she'll be driving a
>LONG way across Mexico, she'll be by herself, and she has only a
>modest/small knowledge of Spanish [but she *is* working on that last
>part..)].
>
>Anyhow, any advice, info, etc, about her embarking on such a trip?
>Thanks!
> /Bernie\

The problem with driving in Mexico is they are all psycopathic
drivers who think speeding and drunk driving is cool. Much crazier
than even american drivers. That's the main reason i don't want
beaners in america. Your wife is crazy to go there but it has nothing
to do with her being a woman.
Old October 16th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Dave Head wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2006 14:24:43 -0700, "223rem" > wrote:
>
>>Let's see... American woman ignorant of the language, customs and
>>place, driving all by herself in a third world country where Americans
>>are hated. Insane.

> You forgot the part where hispanic women are routinely treated like 2nd class
> citizens in hispanic countries. The men have all the power.

Don't forget all the kidnapping for profit....

Old October 16th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc
Bama Brian

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2006 13:35:45 -0700, wrote:
>
>> I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but: how safe is
>> driving in Mexico for a woman alone? My wife is planning to make a
>> trip to Puerta Vallarta [and back, of course, crossing the border in
>> Laredo] in a few months and we were busily/happily working on the early
>> arrangements... but: one alarmist friend was abhorred by the idea, and
>> painted pictures that sounded like they were out of a bad B-movie [you
>> know, body dumped by the road, car stolen, etc]. Now, I think that's
>> crazy stuff [and our friend is being WAY overly concerned and
>> paranoid], but now it has got my wife wondering: she'll be driving a
>> LONG way across Mexico, she'll be by herself, and she has only a
>> modest/small knowledge of Spanish [but she *is* working on that last
>> part..)].
>>
>> Anyhow, any advice, info, etc, about her embarking on such a trip?
>> Thanks!
>> /Bernie\

> The problem with driving in Mexico is they are all psycopathic
> drivers who think speeding and drunk driving is cool. Much crazier
> than even american drivers. That's the main reason i don't want
> beaners in america. Your wife is crazy to go there but it has nothing
> to do with her being a woman.

At the risk of reinforcing the bigots who are coming out of the
woodwork, I'd say it's a bad idea. There are some roads in Mexico that
have bandidos working them regularly. There are also police in Mexico
that will pull over cars that have American plates on them, just because.

For the former, she's safest to use only the large, new tollroads and
travel only during the daytime.

For the latter, she will need some ten dollar bills for the policeman's
time. Don't let the policeman - or anyone else - see the stack of
bills. One at a time should do it.

And be damn sure she has Mexican insurance. If she gets into a fender
bender, she's likely to go straight to a Mexican jail to wait for a
magistrate to sort it all out - in "manana" time, of course.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it. But I wouldn't let my wife do it.

Cheers,
Bama Brian
Libertarian