Where to find an accurate tire pressure gauge???

Old August 3rd 05, 04:11 PM
High Sierra

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>The best pressure is to fill the tires up to about 5psi under the
>max pressure stamped in the tire sidewall, then take them out
>for a good run, get them up to operating temp, then stop and
>bleed any extra air off to get the psi right at max pressure.

What a load of bull sh*t.

Old August 3rd 05, 10:41 PM
Matt Whiting

High Sierra wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> >The best pressure is to fill the tires up to about 5psi under the
> >max pressure stamped in the tire sidewall, then take them out
> >for a good run, get them up to operating temp, then stop and
> >bleed any extra air off to get the psi right at max pressure.

> What a load of bull sh*t.

Yes, the max pressure on the tire is a cold inflation pressure and the
temperature rise during use has already been accounted for. I tend to
run at or near max pressure also. You get a slightly rougher ride,
although with radials it isn't that noticeable and I get better tire
life and fuel economy.

Now you can rail about the ills of running a pressure higher than the
manufacturers specify.... :-)

Matt
Old August 4th 05, 02:06 PM
High Sierra

Matt Whiting wrote:
> High Sierra wrote:
>
>> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> >The best pressure is to fill the tires up to about 5psi under the
>> >max pressure stamped in the tire sidewall, then take them out
>> >for a good run, get them up to operating temp, then stop and
>> >bleed any extra air off to get the psi right at max pressure.

>> What a load of bull sh*t.

> Yes, the max pressure on the tire is a cold inflation pressure and the
> temperature rise during use has already been accounted for. I tend to
> run at or near max pressure also. You get a slightly rougher ride,
> although with radials it isn't that noticeable and I get better tire
> life and fuel economy.
>
> Now you can rail about the ills of running a pressure higher than the
> manufacturers specify.... :-)
>
> Matt

That is BS also.

Run at max and your tires will wear out faster, although just the center of the
tread.
Ride will be considerably rougher and mileage increase will be minimal.

If you want a good increase in mileage, slow down a couple of miles per hour.
Old August 4th 05, 05:21 PM
Art

It used to be that the edges used to wear first in the fronts so adding a
few extra pounds made sense. These days, at least with the Chryslers I've
owned, the front and rears wear incredibly evenly. On my 94 LHS I never had
the car aligned once. On my 99 300M the car was aligned once when the front
struts had to be replaced because a giant pothole snuck up on me.

Old August 4th 05, 05:57 PM
High Sierra

Art wrote:
> It used to be that the edges used to wear first in the fronts so adding a
> snip

A classic sign of under inflation.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0531-3, 04/08/2005
Tested on: 04/08/2005 1:57:27 PM

Old August 4th 05, 08:18 PM
SDG

NO! Don't do this Ted (or anyone else.)

This pressure has been determined by the manufacturer based on many factors
(least of which is tire life, and most of which is your safety.) A car is
dynamic and can change weight and load ratios very quickly. Not to mention
the dynamic loads imposed on it from the normal stress of acceleration,
braking and road hazards. Tire pressure is not a constant, it rises due to
heat and shoots through the roof when you hit a pothole. There are many,
many factors taken into consideration by a manufacturer concerning the final
recommended air pressure.

A tire is an extremely complex and dynamic part and the inflation pressures
chosen represent the best compromise under the best and worst conditions
(when you will need the all of the stability you can get.) Operate the tire
in an over-inflation mode and lose a great deal of friction and stability.
(And in-truth, you will SHORTEN the tire life, not prolong it. This
of-course is even more pronounced for under-inflated tires.)

Operate the vehicle exactly like the manufacturer intended it to be, follow
the instructions of the engineers, NOT the advice of the parts counter.

To recommend that tire be over-inflated is simply very bad advice and shows
ignorance all that's involved.

Who knows more; the combined talent of the engineering department of a major
automotive manufacturer or the mechanic who decides he know better?

Old August 4th 05, 11:42 PM
Matt Whiting

High Sierra wrote:

> Matt Whiting wrote:
>
>> High Sierra wrote:

>>> What a load of bull sh*t.

>> Yes, the max pressure on the tire is a cold inflation pressure and the
>> temperature rise during use has already been accounted for. I tend to
>> run at or near max pressure also. You get a slightly rougher ride,
>> although with radials it isn't that noticeable and I get better tire
>> life and fuel economy.
>>
>> Now you can rail about the ills of running a pressure higher than the
>> manufacturers specify.... :-)
>>
>> Matt

> That is BS also.

Nope.

> Run at max and your tires will wear out faster, although just the center
> of the tread.

Nope, actually my tires wear much more evenly when inflated to the max
PSI. I've done this for 20+ years now and never had tires wear out
first in the center. I ran a set of Michelins on a Jeep Comanche for
90,000 miles ... and this was on a 4x4! The tires were rotated every
10,000 miles and wore out very evenly. Friends and family members who
run the lower pressures recommended by the car makers never match my
tire life.

> Ride will be considerably rougher and mileage increase will be minimal.

Sorry, but that isn't my experience. Both of my Chrysler minivans like
35 PSI just fine and my K1500 likes 50 PSI just fine, except I do lower
the rears to 40 PSI when the truck is empty.

> If you want a good increase in mileage, slow down a couple of miles per
> hour.

I drive 55 already and can't stand to go any slower. And higher tire
pressure will give better fuel mileage at even a slower speed. :-)

Matt
Old August 4th 05, 11:49 PM
Matt Whiting

SDG wrote:

> NO! Don't do this Ted (or anyone else.)
>
> This pressure has been determined by the manufacturer based on many factors
> (least of which is tire life, and most of which is your safety.) A car is
> dynamic and can change weight and load ratios very quickly. Not to mention
> the dynamic loads imposed on it from the normal stress of acceleration,
> braking and road hazards. Tire pressure is not a constant, it rises due to
> heat and shoots through the roof when you hit a pothole. There are many,
> many factors taken into consideration by a manufacturer concerning the final
> recommended air pressure.
>
> A tire is an extremely complex and dynamic part and the inflation pressures
> chosen represent the best compromise under the best and worst conditions
> (when you will need the all of the stability you can get.) Operate the tire
> in an over-inflation mode and lose a great deal of friction and stability.
> (And in-truth, you will SHORTEN the tire life, not prolong it. This
> of-course is even more pronounced for under-inflated tires.)

Yes, the pressure given by the vehicle manufacturer is a COMPROMISE that
tries to be all things to all people and all conditions, but isn't
optimal for any one condition. Since I know how I drive, I adjust the
pressure to optimise the parameters of interest to me, which are tire
life and fuel economy. I'm willing to sacrifice ride quality to achieve
that and ride quality is the primary reason for the lower pressures the
car makers recommend. As long as you don't exceed the max pressure
listed on the sidewall by the tire maker, you aren't compromising safety
or shortening tire life - you likely increase life as you run at lower
tire temps at the higher pressure. Modern belted radials do not wear
out in the center at the max pressure listed on the sidewall, at least
not in the vehicles I've owned in the last 20 years (all on the heavy
side though, such as minvans and full-size pickups). Maybe this isn't
true for a Neon or Echo, but I have no experience with such light cars.

Matt
Old August 5th 05, 12:20 AM
Bill Putney

High Sierra wrote:
> Art wrote:
>
>> It used to be that the edges used to wear first in the fronts so
>> adding a snip

> A classic sign of under inflation.

Which goes along with what Art was saying. There was a time in the
earlier days of radial tires that the recommended air pressures were a
lot lower than they are today (typically 24 to 26 psi IIRC). I
distinctly remember a point in time when the recommendations suddenly
were for higher pressures (28 to 30 psi) - probably about the time that
wear patterns became more even acorss the tread. Art is correct that
radial tires on the front used to wear out on the edges, and I have no
doubt that that was in the days of the lower pressure recommendations.

Also, trends have been to wider treads which, for a given air pressure
tends to lower the pressure requirements, i.e., tends to move the wear
away from the edges and more towards the center.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old August 5th 05, 12:31 AM
Bill Putney

SDG wrote:

> ...Who knows more; the combined talent of the engineering department of a major
> automotive manufacturer or the mechanic who decides he know better?

Oh man! That would very much depend on the particular engineering
department and the particular mechanic - I wouldn't paint either "group"
with a super broad brush. We've all seen some pretty blatant examples
of crappy engineering that passed thru the review of the "high
performance work team" of engineers. As well as very good
engineereing...as well as mechanics who understand very well where the
engineers went wrong...as well as mechanics who don't have much
understanding at all of what a good design is or isn't.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')