2003 Ford Ranger Shocks and Tire Cupping

Old February 24th 05, 10:35 PM
Helvis

Default 2003 Ford Ranger Shocks and Tire Cupping

I took my Ranger in for an oil change and tire rotation at Meineke. It has
13,400 miles on it and is 2WD. It had 18 miles on it when I got it from the
dealer.

This was the first time that I had the tires rotated. I'm sure it was over
due but I didn't think it was by much. The mechanic called me out to the
garage and showed me that the all 4 tires were cupping and said that it was
because of defective shocks. He said that the front tires were the worst
but the back tires were in trouble too. He knew that it didn't have many
miles on it and suggested that I raise hell with the dealer to have the
shocks replaced before it ate up my tires any more. He did rotate them left
to right so as to leave the better tires on the back for traction.

I called the service desk at the dealer and he told me that the cupping
would not be caused by bad shocks and that it had to be because of
misalignment or lack of rotation. He said that the front wheels had to be
misaligned and the back tires had been rotated so they were also showing the
wear also. I know that this is not the case since they had never been
rotated before.

So here are my questions to you guys:

Do bad shocks lead to cupping?

How does lack of rotation cause cupping on the back tires when it has a
fixed axle that needs no alignment?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Old February 25th 05, 01:21 PM
pater

Bad shocks could lead to your condition, but with that many miles,
probably not. I can see the fronts being caused by misalignment but not
the rears. If the rears are cupped it's either the tire pressure being
too low, an out of balance condition or the tires themselves. I would
think if they are out of balance enough to give you your wear pattern,
you should certainly feel it while driving so this theory is a stretch.
Good luck.

Old February 25th 05, 03:27 PM

It's due to misalignment. You need an alignment (most likely toe
problems). Then you need new tires. If you continue to drive it with
the cupped tires, you will have problems with stuff shaking loose from
your car (I was losing transmission pan bolts and oil pan bolts due to
tire cupping).

Old February 25th 05, 03:47 PM
Mike Romain

You have defective shocks. There is no other way all 4 tires can be
cupped.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 25th 05, 06:26 PM
Richard Russell

On 25 Feb 2005 04:21:49 -0800, "pater" > wrote:

>Bad shocks could lead to your condition, but with that many miles,
>probably not. I can see the fronts being caused by misalignment but not
>the rears. If the rears are cupped it's either the tire pressure being
>too low, an out of balance condition or the tires themselves. I would
>think if they are out of balance enough to give you your wear pattern,
>you should certainly feel it while driving so this theory is a stretch.
>Good luck.

The rear tires likely spent a portion of their life in the front,
hence the cupping.
RR
Old February 25th 05, 06:28 PM
Richard Russell

On 25 Feb 2005 04:21:49 -0800, "pater" > wrote:

>Bad shocks could lead to your condition, but with that many miles,
>probably not. I can see the fronts being caused by misalignment but not
>the rears. If the rears are cupped it's either the tire pressure being
>too low, an out of balance condition or the tires themselves. I would
>think if they are out of balance enough to give you your wear pattern,
>you should certainly feel it while driving so this theory is a stretch.
>Good luck.

Sorry for me recent post about the tires being on the front for a
while. I missed the OP noting that this was the first rotation. I
need to pay more attention.
RR
Old February 26th 05, 12:13 AM
mail.rcn.com

Bad Tires!!!!!!!! BAD TIRES !!!!!!!!!! A manufacturing problem. Don't ask
for an explanation, I do not wish to spend the rest of my life educating you
about tires.

Old February 27th 05, 07:44 AM
Eric F

Neat dealership trickery...

cupping tires ARE caused by worn/weak/leaking shocks. the tires aren't
fully being allowed to stay on the ground so as you drive the tires are
bouncing vs. staying put.

If the tires were out of balance you'd notice it as you drive, as your
steering wheel would be pulsing and probably moving back & forth on its own.

Go get a set of Bilstein's.. stay away from stock/OEM.. they're worth the
money.