New Jersey Legislator Wants to Ban Smoking in Your Car

Old July 12th 05, 03:47 PM
Jim Yanik

Pup Yamamoto > wrote in
:

> 223rem wrote:
>

>> I dont smoke, and hate smoke in bars and restaurants, but the
>> government should stay the **** out of people's cars and homes and
>> private bussiness.
>>

> Exactly. There are a lot of prolems the government COULD be dealing
> with, instead you have knobs like this wasting our time and $
> proposing this kind of crap. These ****ers are on MY dime; I'll be
> damned where I can see I get any value for the $ spent.
>
> Comrade Mr. Yamamoto
> http://mryamamoto.50megs.com

"Private business",except that they are *open to the public*,and must meet
Federal,state,and local HEALTH and safety regulations and other laws.
They are NOT "private" businesses.

And once the butts drop or fly out of their hands or their car
windows,that's no longer private,either.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 12th 05, 03:50 PM
Jim Yanik

"David W. Poole, Jr." > wrote in
:

> On 11 Jul 2005 16:15:50 GMT, Jim Yanik .> was
> understood to have stated the following:
>
>>Many employers will not hire a smoker these days,health insurance costs
>>more for them,and the public is enacting more and more laws restricting
>>smoking.

> It's been about 12 years, but one of the reasons I choose to go to
> work for my prior employer was that he allowed us to smoke in our
> offices. I miss that job for many reasons, this being one of them.

These days,they are finding ways to MAKE you quit.
(they call it encouragement or incentives)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 12th 05, 03:51 PM
Jim Yanik

"David W. Poole, Jr." > wrote in
:

> On 11 Jul 2005 16:13:19 GMT, Jim Yanik .> was
> understood to have stated the following:
>
>>> I have a very cool plastic bag type thing that's small enough to fit
>>> in your pocket unobtrusively. It's lined with some type of foil so
>>> that if you were to put a lit butt in it, it would go out. It also has
>>> mechanism in it that allows it to seal tightly, confining the odor to
>>> the bag. Though I always field-strip my cigarettes, when I'm at a
>>> non-smoker's house I'll put the butts in the bag as opposed to leaving
>>> the butts on my pocket to cut down on the odor. When I get back in the
>>> car I dump the bag's content into the ashtray or into an outside trash
>>> receptacle.
>>>

>>You are the rare exception,rather than the norm.

> Agreed, although my current set of smoking coworkers is much like
> this.

That may be true only in that particular locale,and change when they are
alone or with others who toss their butts.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 12th 05, 04:38 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, 223rem wrote:

> This is not about smoking. It is about personal freedoms.

Sure, fine, whatever. Addiction = freedom. Riiight. Mr. Orwell, Mr. George
Orwell, please pick up a red paging telephone.

> What's next? Banning smoking in peoples' houses?

If they have kids, yes!
Old July 12th 05, 04:40 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Beelzebub wrote:

> Smoking is not illegal.

There are lots of places where smoking is illegal, number one. Bars and
restaurants and workplaces and public buildings in an increasing number of
countries, states, provinces, municipalities, etc. Airplanes. Public
transit vehicles.

Number two, whether something is legal or illegal doesn't make it good or
bad.
Old July 12th 05, 04:42 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Pooh Bear wrote:

> > It's not our fault smokers have abused the privelege. People are tired
> > of putting up with smokers and their foul habit. And yet smokers still
> > are not getting the message.

> They get cancer instead !

Yeah, and if it were confined to them, that'd be aces. The problem -- as
with drunk drivers -- is that they take out others with them.
Old July 12th 05, 04:45 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:

> Throwing butts on the ground is littering. I don't dispose of anything
> else improperly; why would I want to make an exception for cigarette
> butts?

If you *truly* practice what you preach, you are rare indeed. Even Tokyo,
which to the eyes of a visiting American is astonishingly free of
cigarette litter -- especially given that about 140% of Japanese smoke
cigarettes -- has enough of a problem with it that they've launched this
PSA campaign:

http://www.conbinibento.com/photos/i...king%20Manners

Old July 12th 05, 04:45 PM
223rem

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, 223rem wrote:
>

>>This is not about smoking. It is about personal freedoms.

> Sure, fine, whatever. Addiction = freedom. Riiight. Mr. Orwell, Mr. George
> Orwell, please pick up a red paging telephone.

Yes, if I choose to get addicted it is my own bussiness, not the
governments.

>>What's next? Banning smoking in peoples' houses?

> If they have kids, yes!

Right! Why not block access to 'dangerous' Internet sites,
or block 'indecent' TV channels in households with chilrrun?

Save the chilrrun! Enforce decency! Ban drugs! Vote Bush!

Old July 12th 05, 04:46 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Matthew Russotto wrote:

> >Cigarettes are biodegradable

> Because they're a nasty foul-smelling eyesore in the meantime.

And the toxins they contain are *not* biodegradeable.
Old July 12th 05, 05:08 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
.. .
> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
> ink.net:
>
>> "Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> EVERY smoker I know, and quite a few that I don't know but have had
>>> the opportunity to observe, litters.

>> You know me (or not, as you choose) and I have never tossed a single
>> butt. And I smoke (trying to quit).

> An exception to the norm.
> (although I find it very difficult to believe that you [or anyone else
> making the claim] have NEVER tossed away[improperly discarded]a SINGLE
> butt
> in your entire smoking history.)

That's your problem, Jim. Some folks still claim the world is flat and
think Dubya is doing a great job.

I haven't littered at all in almost 40 years, I'm very proud to say.