Shock/Struts

Old March 8th 05, 10:52 PM
Jeff

Default Shock/Struts

Before I install lowering springs w/CC plates, would it be worth while to
replace shock and struts as well?

--
Jeff
---------

Old March 8th 05, 11:01 PM
Wound Up

Jeff wrote:
> Before I install lowering springs w/CC plates, would it be worth while to
> replace shock and struts as well?

With an '01... you'll need to change them within the next year or so
anyway, so I would, as a "while you've got it all apart". You'll spend
a little more now, but save overall. Yep. Good idea.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old March 9th 05, 01:50 AM
Jeff

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:01:15 +0000, Wound Up wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
>> Before I install lowering springs w/CC plates, would it be worth while to
>> replace shock and struts as well?

> With an '01... you'll need to change them within the next year or so
> anyway, so I would, as a "while you've got it all apart". You'll spend
> a little more now, but save overall. Yep. Good idea.

Damn, more research ;-)

Thanks.

--
Jeff
---------

Old March 9th 05, 02:23 AM
Wound Up

Jeff wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:01:15 +0000, Wound Up wrote:
>

>>Jeff wrote:
>>
>>>Before I install lowering springs w/CC plates, would it be worth while to
>>>replace shock and struts as well?

>>With an '01... you'll need to change them within the next year or so
>>anyway, so I would, as a "while you've got it all apart". You'll spend
>>a little more now, but save overall. Yep. Good idea.

> Damn, more research ;-)
>
> Thanks.

There is a specific type of spring compressor for used for McPherson
struts. Be sure to use that kind, and take your time. You can rent them.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old March 9th 05, 07:13 PM
Brent P

In article >, Wound Up wrote:

> There is a specific type of spring compressor for used for McPherson
> struts. Be sure to use that kind, and take your time. You can rent them.

SN95 mustangs have the strut separate from the spring. There is no need
for that tool.

Old March 9th 05, 08:02 PM
Wound Up

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Wound Up wrote:
>

>>There is a specific type of spring compressor for used for McPherson
>>struts. Be sure to use that kind, and take your time. You can rent them.

> SN95 mustangs have the strut separate from the spring. There is no need
> for that tool.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I assumed, bad thing.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old March 9th 05, 08:55 PM
Jeff

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 12:13:01 -0600, Brent P wrote:

> In article >, Wound Up wrote:
>
>> There is a specific type of spring compressor for used for McPherson
>> struts. Be sure to use that kind, and take your time. You can rent them.

> SN95 mustangs have the strut separate from the spring. There is no need
> for that tool.

Excellent.

--
Jeff
---------

Old March 11th 05, 05:44 AM
Rein

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 01:23:51 GMT, Wound Up > wrote:

>Jeff wrote:

>>>With an '01... you'll need to change them within the next year or so
>>>anyway, so I would, as a "while you've got it all apart". You'll spend
>>>a little more now, but save overall. Yep. Good idea.

>> Damn, more research ;-)
>>
>> Thanks.

>There is a specific type of spring compressor for used for McPherson
>struts. Be sure to use that kind, and take your time. You can rent them.

Not needed. There is no pressure on the strut. It comes out very
easily.
Old March 11th 05, 05:57 AM
Wound Up

Rein wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 01:23:51 GMT, Wound Up > wrote:
>

>>Jeff wrote:

>>>Damn, more research ;-)
>>>
>>>Thanks.

>>There is a specific type of spring compressor for used for McPherson
>>struts. Be sure to use that kind, and take your time. You can rent them.

> Not needed. There is no pressure on the strut. It comes out very
> easily.
> Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Yeah, sorry Brent P., for any inconvenience this incorrect assumption of
mine may have caused. It's still a good idea to swap them out at this
point, though.....

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old March 11th 05, 07:57 PM
Brent P

In article >, Wound Up wrote:
>> Not needed. There is no pressure on the strut. It comes out very
>> easily.

> Yeah, sorry Brent P., for any inconvenience this incorrect assumption of
> mine may have caused. It's still a good idea to swap them out at this
> point, though.....

Not me, the OP... I just posted the correction . I've changed the
struts and shocks over to bilstiens in my '97 years ago and changed em
over on my dad's 99 just a couple months ago.

The only hard part is the top nut on the stock front struts. I was able
to break them loose on the car with mine using an impact wrench. On my
dad's I had to undo the three small bolts and take it out as an assembly,
put the strut shaft in a big vice and then use the impact. Those struts
were much more worn than those I took out of my car.