'02 Impala... how do I...

Old July 21st 05, 09:20 PM
N8N

Comboverfish wrote:
> N8N wrote:
> > Steve wrote:

> > Because they use the high beams and therefore are rude and glaring to
> > other motorists, defeating the idea of a "safety" feature. It's nice
> > to let other traffic know I'm there; it's not so nice to blind them.

> I hear that complaint very infrequently, and I don't really get it.
> High beams in series (DRLs) are a much lower intensity of focused light
> than when run normally at full B+. The biggest reason HB DRLs are not
> a problem is the fact that they are used in DAYLIGHT; there is
> significant sunlight outside as to keep onlookers' eyes adjusted for
> bright light conditions. Ive seen plenty of cars going down the street
> over the years with their highbeams on (for whatever reason) and never
> thought it was annoying -- let alone DRLs.

I'm one of the people that *does* complain about it. Now the Impalas,
I don't notice them that much, but being somewhat glare sensitive, I
can tell you that Saturns are teh suXX0rs especially in twilight
without the headlights on. But even on an overcast day they can be
distracting.

> Our resident lighting expert Dan likes small dedicated amber DRLs
> better than headlights for a variety of reasons, but my gut feeling is
> I like the headlight systems better - just from a driver standpoint. I
> think they are more noticeable and hopefully more safe as a result. I
> have no facts to back that up, however.

They're brighter than they need to be for their intended purpose, for
one thing... if nothing else it's wasteful.

nate

Old July 21st 05, 10:19 PM

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> They're brighter than they need to be for their intended purpose, for
> one thing... if nothing else it's wasteful.
>
> nate

Brighter than they have to be, possibly.
Wasteful...mathematically it is a very small number, insignificant to many
of us.

One wreck will cost you a ton more than these lights will.

Old July 22nd 05, 01:12 AM
James C. Reeves

"N8N" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Timothy J. Lee wrote:
>> In article .com>,
>> N8N > wrote:
>> >Because they use the high beams and therefore are rude and glaring to
>> >other motorists, defeating the idea of a "safety" feature. It's nice
>> >to let other traffic know I'm there; it's not so nice to blind them.

>> Drive with the low beam headlamps on all the time (perhaps put tape
>> on the sensor for the automatic headlamps to make it think that it is
>> night time all the time). That will get rid of the high beam DRLs.

> Hey, I like that idea. That way I don't have to worry about turning
> the lights off because I'll never actually turn them on. Does anyone
> know where the sensor is?
>
> thanks,
>
> nate

Usually on top of the dash..usually protruding, but can be behind the
defogger grille.

Old July 22nd 05, 06:21 AM
SBlackfoot

> Found another thing I hate - the utterly worthless parking brake. You
> put it to the floor to set it and then kick it to release it - no
> release handle. So it can't be used as an "emergency brake" should the
> service brakes fail, it's for parking only.

That reminds me of the ingenious e-brake setup in my Jimmy, with the barking
brake release lever a mere few inches away from the hood release lever. Now
THAT would be quite the surprise in an emergency.

Old July 22nd 05, 07:21 AM
Ashton Crusher

On 21 Jul 2005 12:44:34 -0700, "Comboverfish" >
wrote:

>N8N wrote:
>> Steve wrote:

>> Because they use the high beams and therefore are rude and glaring to
>> other motorists, defeating the idea of a "safety" feature. It's nice
>> to let other traffic know I'm there; it's not so nice to blind them.

>I hear that complaint very infrequently, and I don't really get it.
>High beams in series (DRLs) are a much lower intensity of focused light
>than when run normally at full B+. The biggest reason HB DRLs are not
>a problem is the fact that they are used in DAYLIGHT; there is
>significant sunlight outside as to keep onlookers' eyes adjusted for
>bright light conditions. Ive seen plenty of cars going down the street
>over the years with their highbeams on (for whatever reason) and never
>thought it was annoying -- let alone DRLs.
>
>Our resident lighting expert Dan likes small dedicated amber DRLs
>better than headlights for a variety of reasons, but my gut feeling is
>I like the headlight systems better - just from a driver standpoint. I
>think they are more noticeable and hopefully more safe as a result. I
>have no facts to back that up, however.
>
>Toyota MDT in MO

I like headlights better when they are used as headlights and DRLS
when they are shoved up the drivers ass - they are ALL irritating.
Anyone who can't see a car during the day unless it has lights on
should have their license revoked.
Old July 22nd 05, 07:22 AM
Ashton Crusher

On 21 Jul 2005 15:01:32 -0700, "N8N" > wrote:

wrote:
>> "N8N" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >

>> > They're brighter than they need to be for their intended purpose, for
>> > one thing... if nothing else it's wasteful.
>> >
>> > nate

>> Brighter than they have to be, possibly.
>> Wasteful...mathematically it is a very small number, insignificant to many
>> of us.
>>
>> One wreck will cost you a ton more than these lights will.

>Those lights won't save me from a single wreck. They're useless. A
>marketing gimmick, IMHO.
>
>Found another thing I hate - the utterly worthless parking brake. You
>put it to the floor to set it and then kick it to release it - no
>release handle. So it can't be used as an "emergency brake" should the
>service brakes fail, it's for parking only.
>
>nate

That's why it's called a parking brake. That way it's harder for you
to sue if you need it in an emergency and it's not very helpful.
Old July 22nd 05, 02:12 PM

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message

> I like headlights better when they are used as headlights and DRLS
> when they are shoved up the drivers ass - they are ALL irritating.
> Anyone who can't see a car during the day unless it has lights on
> should have their license revoked.

It isnt quite that simple, Ashton. It would be simpler if drivers stayed
alert and used their lighting religiously when the conditions dictate..
But they dont.
Mist, fog, haze, rain coupled with an asshole who will not turn on his
lights make for dangerous conditions.

What to get... 2005 Chev Impala or Pontiac Grand Prix ??? jetsguy Technology 13 March 18th 05 06:23 AM
ALIGNMENT ?? - 2003 Impala 3.4V6 ChrisCoaster Technology 6 March 6th 05 05:16 AM
Dumb Question on 69 Impala Don Antique cars 2 August 25th 04 10:13 AM
1973 Chevy Impala Josh Antique cars 1 April 10th 04 08:48 PM
64 impala pictures Jason Antique cars 0 December 29th 03 04:04 AM