Civic Hybrid -- gas/electric usage

Old July 21st 05, 06:06 PM
Jeff

Default Civic Hybrid -- gas/electric usage

Does software control the switching of the power source between
gasoline and the battery pack? Or is it more of a mechanical element
that controls it?

Is it possible for Honda mechanics to "adjust" how much battery power
is getting used? I'm happy with my 2005 Hybrid, but I'd like to
average more than the 43.5 mpg that I'm currently getting. My driving
is 90% city (start and stop traffic). I watch the gauges closely, and
it seems that the battery doesn't get used as much as it could during
acceleration. In fact, very rarely does my overall battery power ever
dip below the 80% mark. I was wondering if they could adjust the
threshold/configuration of when the battery kicks in so that it gets
used more.

Old July 21st 05, 08:41 PM
Kent Finnell

"Jeff" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Does software control the switching of the power source between
> gasoline and the battery pack? Or is it more of a mechanical element
> that controls it?
>
> Is it possible for Honda mechanics to "adjust" how much battery power
> is getting used? I'm happy with my 2005 Hybrid, but I'd like to
> average more than the 43.5 mpg that I'm currently getting. My driving
> is 90% city (start and stop traffic). I watch the gauges closely, and
> it seems that the battery doesn't get used as much as it could during
> acceleration. In fact, very rarely does my overall battery power ever
> dip below the 80% mark. I was wondering if they could adjust the
> threshold/configuration of when the battery kicks in so that it gets
> used more.

The first mechanic that offers to do any twiddling with the system, run
screaming from the shop. While it isn't rocket science, it isn't "use a
bigger hammer" technology either.

--
Kent Finnell
From the Music City USA

Old July 22nd 05, 10:05 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article .com>,
"Jeff" > wrote:

> Does software control the switching of the power source between
> gasoline and the battery pack? Or is it more of a mechanical element
> that controls it?
>
> Is it possible for Honda mechanics to "adjust" how much battery power
> is getting used? I'm happy with my 2005 Hybrid, but I'd like to
> average more than the 43.5 mpg that I'm currently getting. My driving
> is 90% city (start and stop traffic). I watch the gauges closely, and
> it seems that the battery doesn't get used as much as it could during
> acceleration. In fact, very rarely does my overall battery power ever
> dip below the 80% mark. I was wondering if they could adjust the
> threshold/configuration of when the battery kicks in so that it gets
> used more.

If it's like the Hybrid Accord, the battery power mostly goes to
accessories. Turn on the A/C and it will drain to empty in heavy
traffic.
Old July 22nd 05, 02:56 PM
jim beam

Jeff wrote:
> Does software control the switching of the power source between
> gasoline and the battery pack?

yes.

> Or is it more of a mechanical element
> that controls it?
>
> Is it possible for Honda mechanics to "adjust" how much battery power
> is getting used? I'm happy with my 2005 Hybrid, but I'd like to
> average more than the 43.5 mpg that I'm currently getting. My driving
> is 90% city (start and stop traffic). I watch the gauges closely, and
> it seems that the battery doesn't get used as much as it could during
> acceleration. In fact, very rarely does my overall battery power ever
> dip below the 80% mark. I was wondering if they could adjust the
> threshold/configuration of when the battery kicks in so that it gets
> used more.

ok, if the batteries were to be discharged to 50%, where is the energy
to recharge them going to come from? [that's a rhetorical question.]

unless you discharge them & keep them discharged, there is no "net
gain", so you're still going to run the motor to recharge those
batteries, and that's what consumes the gas. your software, based on
extensive research, knows how to optimise fuel consumption based on the
driving you're doing. try & believe that the millions of $'s & years of
research that preceeded your purchase were not wasted by incompetents.

Old July 23rd 05, 06:03 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
jim beam > wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
> > Does software control the switching of the power source between
> > gasoline and the battery pack?

> yes.
>
> > Or is it more of a mechanical element
> > that controls it?
> >
> > Is it possible for Honda mechanics to "adjust" how much battery power
> > is getting used? I'm happy with my 2005 Hybrid, but I'd like to
> > average more than the 43.5 mpg that I'm currently getting. My driving
> > is 90% city (start and stop traffic). I watch the gauges closely, and
> > it seems that the battery doesn't get used as much as it could during
> > acceleration. In fact, very rarely does my overall battery power ever
> > dip below the 80% mark. I was wondering if they could adjust the
> > threshold/configuration of when the battery kicks in so that it gets
> > used more.
> >

> ok, if the batteries were to be discharged to 50%, where is the energy
> to recharge them going to come from? [that's a rhetorical question.]
>
> unless you discharge them & keep them discharged, there is no "net
> gain", so you're still going to run the motor to recharge those
> batteries, and that's what consumes the gas. your software, based on
> extensive research, knows how to optimise fuel consumption based on the
> driving you're doing. try & believe that the millions of $'s & years of
> research that preceeded your purchase were not wasted by incompetents.

The point is that the batteries in Honda's systems frequently hit 100%
full or empty. The hybrid system does assist a little more on a full
battery and regenerate a little more on an empty battery, but the
adjustment isn't enough.

On empty city streets, my HAH battery fills up because there's more
regeneration than assist. In dense stop and go traffic, the battery
empties because there's more assisting than regeneration. In both cases
the car stops being a hybrid after a few minutes because its not
adjusting to conditions. I have no idea how the EPA came up with the
HAH's high milage numbers.
Old July 23rd 05, 11:45 AM
Dave

In article >, Kevin McMurtrie > wrote:

>The point is that the batteries in Honda's systems frequently hit 100%
>full or empty. The hybrid system does assist a little more on a full
>battery and regenerate a little more on an empty battery, but the
>adjustment isn't enough.

Small clarification: Maybe the Honda's instrument panel's dial
shows it at "100%" and "empty", but the battery itself is
operating in a rather narrow State of Charge (SOC) range of
perhaps (I don't know exactly what Honda is using) 50-80%.
Probably an even narrower range. They *could* use it over a wider
range, but then they'd be compromising battery life.

>I have no idea how the EPA came up with the
>HAH's high milage numbers.

EPA doesn't come up with them, Honda does. Honda tests the car to
a specific EPA-given drive schedule. EPA may check the
results. I'm sure Honda tweaked the battery control strategy in
part to give about as high a number on this test as they could
(presumably also with consideration to: battery durability,
emissions, drivability, real-world mileage ...). The lack of
correspondence of this EPA cycle to "real-world" driving, does
have a significant role in the EPA numbers being higher than most
people's experience.

And back to the main Q: I'm sure it is controlled electronically.
But you'd be well-advised to not muss with it!!
Old July 23rd 05, 03:03 PM
TomP

Jeff wrote:

> Does software control the switching of the power source between
> gasoline and the battery pack?

Yes

> Or is it more of a mechanical element
> that controls it?

NO.

> Is it possible for Honda mechanics to "adjust" how much battery power
> is getting used?

NO.

> I'm happy with my 2005 Hybrid, but I'd like to
> average more than the 43.5 mpg that I'm currently getting. My driving
> is 90% city (start and stop traffic). I watch the gauges closely, and
> it seems that the battery doesn't get used as much as it could during
> acceleration. In fact, very rarely does my overall battery power ever
> dip below the 80% mark.

> I was wondering if they could adjust the
> threshold/configuration of when the battery kicks in so that it gets
> used more.

NO; However I suppose Honda's engineers could "tweak the IMA"
usage. Rest assured that the IMA system is highly optimized as, you are
using it day to day.

One tip: Use Econ mode for the AC system so the engine stops at
idle. That's going to be good as it gets.

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old July 23rd 05, 07:32 PM

Kevin McMurtrie > wrote:
> The point is that the batteries in Honda's systems frequently hit 100%
> full or empty. The hybrid system does assist a little more on a full
> battery and regenerate a little more on an empty battery, but the
> adjustment isn't enough.

Which Honda do you have? I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid.
I see my batteries hit 100% full on a long downgrade, after which there is
no regenerative braking, obvious from the lack of little green bars when
braking. There are other times when it looks full on the gauge, but
stepping on the brake gives the green bars. I have never had this happen
in traffic on moderately hilly or flat terrain.

I have never seen less than two bars on the battery gauge. Somewhere just
below half, the engine starts charging, noted by four green charge bars,
even when I am headed up hill. This happens fairly frequently in the
hills.

The early Insights did not do engine charge, but I thought that wa changed
in the second model year, and maybe even by recall on the older IMA
programming.

I just received a recall notice. My IMA is going to be reprogrammed to
avoid some potential catalytic converter damage.

--
---

Old July 23rd 05, 09:02 PM
muzz

On 21 Jul 2005 10:06:57 -0700, "Jeff" > wrote:

Good night! I've had my 2004 now for 18 months and am getting
32 mpg. Dealer says that's about the expected mpg - excuse me?
I think I should get at least 40 if they advertise 48. Had the recall
computer update done last week, but they say not to expect any
better -

POLL - What mpg is everyone getting on their hybrid civics?

Old July 23rd 05, 10:31 PM

muzz > wrote:
> On 21 Jul 2005 10:06:57 -0700, "Jeff" > wrote:

> Good night! I've had my 2004 now for 18 months and am getting
> 32 mpg. Dealer says that's about the expected mpg - excuse me?

That's not so good. I've heard a few stories about mpg like that in
strictly city driving in snow country.
edmunds.com has forums where people post their mileage.

I get 46 overall, with 50+ at 70mph on the freeway.
2003 CVT. 50,000 miles.

---

Where to get electrical power on Civic Hybrid? [email protected] Honda 2 April 8th 05 05:31 PM
Honda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 February 12th 05 02:43 PM
Civic Hybrid [email protected] Honda 8 December 12th 04 05:38 PM
My experience with a Honda Civic hybrid muzz Honda 36 November 30th 04 12:50 AM