Overheating problem '97 TJ

Old July 18th 05, 03:26 PM
Earle Horton

Jerry and Mike are right. That said, I usually run somewhat "stronger"
coolant, in case there is a loss and I have to limp home after putting some
Dasani or Evian in it. The best place to store extra coolant, is in the
cooling system.

Earle

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Our 'new' fan clutch just gave up the ghost. They (DC) are selling
> really crappie parts these days. Ours is only about 4 years old.
>
> To test the fan clutch, heat up the engine fully and have someone shut
> it down while you watch the fan. A working clutch will stop the fan
> almost instantly. If it keeps spinning, replace. Or shove a screw in
> the SOB to make it a fixed fan like I think I am gong to do. If their
> crappie parts only last 3 or 4 years, screw them.
>
> I would get a cheap hydrometer to check the antifreeze. Playing a
> guessing game with it is a sure way to destroy the engine. Too thick
> will overheat, 50/50 is best for all round use.
>
> 'I' sure wouldn't swap oil types unless mine turned into an oil burner.
> We have over 300K on ours and 10W30 still only uses a liter between
> changes.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>
> Endo wrote:
> >
> > The fan clutch sounds probable, and I will probably flush it too just to

be
> > safe but the antifreeze in it is only about a year old and still nice

and
> > green. Maybe it's too strong a mixture and I need more water.I will get

> > bottle of the Redline Water Wetter too just to help out.
> >
> > I will consider a heavier weight oil also, i'm due for a change now

anyway.
> > Too bad Wally-World only carries Valvoline full synthetic in 10w30 so

i'm
> > going to have to go to a 'real' parts store like Auto Zone. (sic)
> >
> > Shawn
> >
> > "L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" > wrote in message
> > > Hi Endo,
> > > I'd flush your system like you've doing every two years to avoid
> > > the electrolysis that'll eat the head gasket, water pump seal, and

core
> > > plugs. And go ahead and replace the fan clutch.
> > > The oil temperature lags behind the water, but eventually catches
> > > up, if you had checked it you would have seen it with the constancy of
> > > water, with about the same lubricating qualities. If your going to get
> > > caught in traffic jams, then switch to 20/40, or 20/50 like I use at
> > > three hundred thousand miles. Remember pickups with the trailer

package
> > > also have oil coolers.
> > > God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> > > http://www.billhughes.com/

new

some

still.

noticed

would

for

The

Old July 18th 05, 07:49 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

So do I, but know that it will not cool as efficiently, and it may
actually freeze. But you can run 240 with a fifteen pound cap, if you're
on the razors edge as my siamese small block four hundred, with Corvette
four core.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 20th 05, 03:27 AM
Acura God

I dont know if this is related but my brother-in-laws TJ will read hot from
time to time and the oil gauge will go to near zero and the fuel gauge will
screw up by showing about half what is actually in there. His problems
sounds electrical to me but I have not checked it out yet. Be interested in
finding out what is wrong with yours. My 01 TJ overheated after I rearended
a Dodge truck and pushed the shroud into the fan! Ha Ha

David Short
01 TJ