Steering hose sprays exhaust when making U-turn. `88 Honda Accord lxi

Old July 10th 05, 11:58 AM
Sam Nickaby

Default Steering hose sprays exhaust when making U-turn. `88 Honda Accord lxi

After an automobile accident the steering reservoir was crushed spilling the
fluids onto the pavement while the engine continue to idle for a lengthy time
and driven a couple miles. Days after the repairs were made the steering began
to leak from the gearbox. A month later the high pressure power steering hose
began to squirt (from the center of the rubber hose) upon every U-turn. It will
spray the exhaust creating a plume of smoke. Genuine fluids were used.

I am now deciding whether I should replace the pump (which has a relief valve
that may be broken) or to replace the gearbox (which may have damaged
seals.) The service manual lacks a normal operating pressure spec for the
pump. How do I determine which component(s) needs replacing?

Thanks

Old July 10th 05, 01:33 PM
Professor

The pump is a high-pressure low-volume type. Pressures are on the order
of 1500psi...

Professor
Check out FlashAlert at www.telstar-electronics.com

Old July 10th 05, 05:15 PM
Steve B.

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:58:28 GMT, "Sam Nickaby" > wrote:

>After an automobile accident the steering reservoir was crushed spilling the
>fluids onto the pavement while the engine continue to idle for a lengthy time
>and driven a couple miles. Days after the repairs were made the steering began
>to leak from the gearbox. A month later the high pressure power steering hose
>began to squirt (from the center of the rubber hose) upon every U-turn. It will
>spray the exhaust creating a plume of smoke. Genuine fluids were used.
>
>I am now deciding whether I should replace the pump (which has a relief valve
>that may be broken) or to replace the gearbox (which may have damaged
>seals.) The service manual lacks a normal operating pressure spec for the
>pump. How do I determine which component(s) needs replacing?
>
>Thanks

I would start by replacing the broken hose. Power steering fluid is
flamable and every time you let it spray on the exhaust manifold you
risk setting your car on fire. This isn't something to be playing
around with.

Steve B.
Old July 12th 05, 04:05 AM
Sam Nickaby

"Sam Nickaby" > wrote

> After an automobile accident the ... power steering hose
> began to squirt upon every U-turn. ...How do I determine

< which component(s) needs replacing?

Thanks for the helpful advices, everyone.

I'd attempt to replace the high pressure hose, no luck. Now, I'm thinking
of cut and splice. Took gearbox out today, hard as labor camp. I am looking
for a good strong clamp that will clamp a 1500psi rubber/fiberglass/nylon
tube. Where can I find one?

Thanks

Old July 12th 05, 04:12 AM
wws

Sam Nickaby wrote:

> "Sam Nickaby" > wrote
>

>>After an automobile accident the ... power steering hose
>>began to squirt upon every U-turn. ...How do I determine

> < which component(s) needs replacing?
>
> Thanks for the helpful advices, everyone.
>
> I'd attempt to replace the high pressure hose, no luck. Now, I'm thinking
> of cut and splice. Took gearbox out today, hard as labor camp. I am looking
> for a good strong clamp that will clamp a 1500psi rubber/fiberglass/nylon
> tube. Where can I find one?
>
> Thanks

no luck there
1500 psi will put your eye out NOW.
Missed the OP, you need a hose or pump.
Or BFH.
Old July 12th 05, 12:31 PM
NapalmHeart

"wws" > wrote in message ...
> Sam Nickaby wrote:
>
>> "Sam Nickaby" > wrote
>>

>>>After an automobile accident the ... power steering hose
>>>began to squirt upon every U-turn. ...How do I determine

>> < which component(s) needs replacing?
>>
>> Thanks for the helpful advices, everyone.
>>
>> I'd attempt to replace the high pressure hose, no luck. Now, I'm thinking
>> of cut and splice. Took gearbox out today, hard as labor camp. I am
>> looking
>> for a good strong clamp that will clamp a 1500psi rubber/fiberglass/nylon
>> tube. Where can I find one?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> no luck there
> 1500 psi will put your eye out NOW.
> Missed the OP, you need a hose or pump.
> Or BFH.

I agree. Don't try to splice a high-pressure hose!

Ken

Old July 13th 05, 02:25 AM
Steve B.

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:05:57 GMT, "Sam Nickaby" > wrote:

>I'd attempt to replace the high pressure hose, no luck. Now, I'm thinking
>of cut and splice. Took gearbox out today, hard as labor camp. I am looking
>for a good strong clamp that will clamp a 1500psi rubber/fiberglass/nylon
>tube. Where can I find one?
>
>Thanks

You don't have the necessary equipment to clamp a high pressure power
steering hose. If you can't get a new one take your old one to the
local hydraulic hose place and have them fix it for you. Virtually
every town has one... they make the hydraulic hoses for all the dump
trucks and fork lifts and stuff like that

Steve B.
Old July 13th 05, 07:33 AM
jjjsan

check with autozone and kragen, they may carry a pre-formed hose assy at
resonable cost.

Old July 15th 05, 01:59 AM

and be very careful handling the hose when under pressure.

A pinhole will work like a needle, pumping fluid under the skin.

Some of the hose places will come on site to make up hoses.

Old July 29th 05, 02:02 PM
Sam Nickaby

"jjjsan" > wrote

> check with autozone and kragen, they may carry a
> pre-formed hose assy at resonable cost.

Did just that. -- Installation went fine, no leaks.

Thanks to all.

*** Fighting a minor ticket ( Making left turn from center lane AZ) abbygale Driving 8 February 4th 05 10:41 PM
'66 Steering Upgrade .boB Ford Mustang 1 December 21st 04 07:25 PM
Cracked Steering Damper Assembly- Be careful Jason 4x4 2 May 19th 04 12:42 PM
Odd steering behavior - Any ideas/assistance? Don Bruder General 0 January 11th 04 09:54 PM