Ford F-150 clutch slave cylinder replacement

Old September 12th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
George Brims

Default Ford F-150 clutch slave cylinder replacement

My son has a 2003 F-150 with 25k miles on it, and the clutch slave
cylinder just let go. I thought this would be a simple fix based on past
experience with other vehicles, but the damn thing appears to be inside
the bell housing behind a plastic cover. Has anyone out there changed
one of these before? The main question is can I change the damn thing
without removing the transmission? Somewhat expensive proposition to
replace a $5 set of O-rings!
Old September 12th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
papabearcare

George Brims wrote:
> My son has a 2003 F-150 with 25k miles on it, and the clutch slave
> cylinder just let go. I thought this would be a simple fix based on past
> experience with other vehicles, but the damn thing appears to be inside
> the bell housing behind a plastic cover. Has anyone out there changed
> one of these before? The main question is can I change the damn thing
> without removing the transmission? Somewhat expensive proposition to
> replace a $5 set of O-rings!

George: The slave cylinder is held in by a spring lock connector
simliar to the way the fuel sysytem hoses are connected, ... you need a
tool that is specific only to this application of Ford Slave Cylinders.
It will only cost you approx 20.00 but, I know of no other way of
removing the slave cylinder with out fear of damaging the housing, and
damaging the housing might not allow the new slave cylinder to remain
seated properly.
I am not sure where you are located, but I could get one to you,
.... or I'm sure if you have contact with your local Snap On Tool
Dealer, ... I'm quite sure any dealer would have this tool in stock.

Thanks,

Ron Care

Old September 12th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
George Brims

On 11 Sep 2006 16:19:46 -0700, "papabearcare"
> wrote:
>George: The slave cylinder is held in by a spring lock connector
>simliar to the way the fuel sysytem hoses are connected, ... you need a
>tool that is specific only to this application of Ford Slave Cylinders.
>It will only cost you approx 20.00 but, I know of no other way of
>removing the slave cylinder with out fear of damaging the housing, and
>damaging the housing might not allow the new slave cylinder to remain
>seated properly.
>Ron Care

Thanks Ron. However I'm not clear what you mean here. Does this clip
retain the cylinder in the truck, or the piston & push rod in the
cylinder? The main part of the question is still - can I avoid taking
the transmission off?
Old September 12th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
papabearcare

George Brims wrote:
> On 11 Sep 2006 16:19:46 -0700, "papabearcare"
> > wrote:
> >George: The slave cylinder is held in by a spring lock connector
> >simliar to the way the fuel sysytem hoses are connected, ... you need a
> >tool that is specific only to this application of Ford Slave Cylinders.
> >It will only cost you approx 20.00 but, I know of no other way of
> >removing the slave cylinder with out fear of damaging the housing, and
> >damaging the housing might not allow the new slave cylinder to remain
> >seated properly.
> >Ron Care

> Thanks Ron. However I'm not clear what you mean here. Does this clip
> retain the cylinder in the truck, or the piston & push rod in the
> cylinder? The main part of the question is still - can I avoid taking
> the transmission off?

George: I am sorry, ... I miss informed you, the older models had this
release clip on the hydraulic line going into the Bell Housing, but,
.... after researching this morning, ... a 2003 F150 appears to have
conventional clamps on the hydraulic line and it appears as if slave
cylinder replacement has to be done with the transmission out of the
vehicle.
I am sorry that I initially responded from memory, rather than
searching for facts!

Old September 13th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
George Brims

On 12 Sep 2006 06:04:11 -0700, "papabearcare"
> wrote:
>... after researching this morning, ... a 2003 F150 appears to have
>conventional clamps on the hydraulic line and it appears as if slave
>cylinder replacement has to be done with the transmission out of the
>vehicle.

Well this is yet another example of why I will never buy another Ford
as long as I live. I thought it was bad enough when the dash lights on
an Escort required removal of the steering wheel to replace a few tiny
bulbs. But now my son is going to be out hundreds of dollars to
replace a 50 cent O-ring.

I know, I know, other manufacturers do things as dumb. But I think
Ford are the worst.