NoOption - question on your tires

Old August 16th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Default NoOption - question on your tires

i see you bought the general exclaim UPT.
i was wondering how they handle. i don't spin my tires, but i corner
hard. is the sidewall as stiff as gatorbacks, or does the sidewall
give more and feel squirrelly? do they hold a hard corner or slide?
i can get them locally for $105 plus $12 mount and balance. beats the
heck out of $160 or more for a goodrich or goodyear at walmart..
Old August 16th 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

wrote in news:1155696599.376857.42180@
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

wrote:
>> i see you bought the general exclaim UPT.
>> i was wondering how they handle. i don't spin my tires, but i corner
>> hard. is the sidewall as stiff as gatorbacks, or does the sidewall
>> give more and feel squirrelly? do they hold a hard corner or slide?
>> i can get them locally for $105 plus $12 mount and balance. beats

the
>> heck out of $160 or more for a goodrich or goodyear at walmart..

> If that's what you're looking for I won't recommend them.
>
> Their plus side is:
> 1) They're very quiet.
> 2) They make the classic burn-out sound when you spin the tires.
>
> Negative side:
> 1) They don't track straight very well. They have a tendancy to

wander
> a bit on the highway.
> 2) They don't corner for ****. They give you a very odd feeling in

the
> turns and don't have a lot of stick.
> 3) They hydroplane in the rain.
>
> Overall rating: 4 on a scale of 10. The perfect inexpensive tire to
> abuse/show off with.
>
> I wish I would have bought another set of Firestones.
>
> Patrick

FWIW, I've got a set of Kumho Ecstas on the Dak and they're wonderful.
Great in the rain squalls and still real decent on dry roads.
Old August 16th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

thank you so very much. i thought had seen someone mention the flex in
the sidewall.
i really like the way the original gatorbacks handle with 35 pounds in
them. i can't understand why they get such a poor rating on tire
rack.it must be the stiff ride, noise and hydroplaning that get them a
bad rap.
i am sure there is a better tire for $166. but which one? i aim to
find out all i can from mustang owners before i buy in the spring.
thanks again

Old August 16th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

i am considering them along with others. i just don't know what i can
get locally in a kumho. i guess all winter to shop. i will park it for
the winter on the old tires.

Old August 17th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

Got mine at Sears last year on sale.

Old August 17th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Richard[_1_]

Well I changed this spring from Kumho Ecstas Supra 712's after about 30K's
to Fuzion ZRi's (these are from Bridgestone/Firestone). Price is about the
same and I'm finding that the Fuzion's seem quieter and don't follow the
ruts in the road like the Kumho's. I did change the tire size from 245/45R17
to 255/45R17 so that might account for some difference. Both are W speed
rated. All and all, I'm pleased with the change.
--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
3:73 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

Old August 17th 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

tiresplus has the fuzions for $135 nearby.
how do they corner? i thought i read one review on a webpage that they
had soft sidewalls. i wonder what air pressure people are running when
they complain about that. i learned in 2000 from this group not to run
the 30 pounds that ford has in the glove compartment, run toward the
higher end of what the tire manufacturer lists. ford did that for the
ride, not performance or tire life. i put between 35-40 in them and
they wear evenly with 32,000 so far. the higher pressure stiffens the
ride but helps the wear and cornering. if you run 30 the outer edges
wear fast on a radial.

Old August 19th 06, 08:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

Kumhos suck. My opinion. I got some tires recommended from a guy I know who
rallys his car. They are Yokohamas, AVID H4S. Speed rated to 150 mph "v",
with a great 500 tread wear rating and STICKY AS ****! They love to be
pushed hard! And the price is right.

Brad