K2500 Front Axle Help

Old November 22nd 04, 09:58 AM
Bob

Default K2500 Front Axle Help

I just noticed a small puddle of gear lube on the driveway and upon
inspection found the right front axle shaft has popped out of the axle
tube by about 1/2 inch. I don't know ho far the truck was drive like
this but probably less than 50 to 100km. Questions:

What retains the axle in position (pressed on bearings)?
What is the likely damage (from those of you who have experience with this)?
What is involved in fixing this?

Tho' I'm not a Lic'd mechanic, I'm very experienced in Auto repair; just
haven't yet worked on these axles.

Thanks!

Old November 23rd 04, 06:09 AM
Rusted

Not positive on the details of your axle, but I think that anyone with a
little auto experience, and some patience can easily figure out an axle
(minus the gears). Start pulling it apart, fix what is wrong, and put it
all back together. I think you will find, under the brakes, a plate that
you can remove. Once that is remove or loosened, the axle shaft will slide
out.

Old November 23rd 04, 08:59 AM
Bob

Thx for your reply.

The '91 uses I.F.S. with a 2-piece alum. diff.. housing and a bolted-on
axle tube on the r. side. I've pulled apart lots of conventional "live"
axles, but never one of these. Sure I can "go at it." I'm just looking
for some pointers, what to expect, common problems, quirks, failures,
etc. from someone whose been through this particular model of GM diff.

Cheers!

Old November 26th 04, 04:59 AM
Steve W.

It is retained by a snap ring on the inside shaft. It should just pop
back in as long as it is in the correct
position. They usually take a good whack with a rubber mallet or dead
blow to seat. I'd be worried about
how it came apart.

--
Steve Williams

Old December 10th 04, 06:57 AM
Bob

I've found the problem and ordered most of the required parts, except
the culprit; the axle retaining ring (snap ring) that retains the axle.
Apparently the failure of this $0.50 ($8.00 from GM) part is not
uncommon that is why GM has discontinued it's supply and insists that
you buy a new "retrofit" axle with a larger retaining ring and groove
for about $500. Since the previous one lasted 6 to 10 years, I just want
the retaining ring but GM won hear of it. Local drive line shops have
the sam problem. Has someone else come up with a solution? One person
has told me the old axle groove can be widened to accommodate the
retrofit retaining ring (which has a round cross section instead of the
traditional rectangular). Has anyone done this?

b.t.w. This is the same front end used in the K3500

Thx!