Mercedes Diesel that wont stop when the key is removed

Old March 27th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Mercedes Diesel that wont stop when the key is removed

I have an old benz diesel. It's an 83 and sometimes it doesnt respond
to me removing the key from ignition. Sometimes this is convienient
because I can lock the doors if I'm doing a quick errand. Either way, I
know how to stop it manually, and what causes it, but I'm curious if
running it like that would do any harm. Are there any critical electric
systems that would be off?

Old March 27th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

If you know what's causing it, then you should know the answer to your
own question. The running on you describe could be from several causes.
Maybe you have a worn key or lock. Maybe the engine is dieseling from a
source of fuel from a leak. Maybe the fuel system is not shutting down
or maybe the air is not getting cut off. None of these are good
situations, but the loose key is the safest, unless you find youself
locked out of your car with it running.

Old March 27th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> Elliott P wrote:
> I have an old benz diesel. It's an 83 and sometimes it doesnt respond
> to me removing the key from ignition. Sometimes this is convienient
> because I can lock the doors if I'm doing a quick errand.

Just hope some joyriding teen doesn't bust a window and drive off.
Since you know what the problem is, why not fix it.

> Either way, I
> know how to stop it manually, and what causes it, but I'm curious if
> running it like that would do any harm.

I'm assuming it's a manual transmission and you are using the clutch to
kill the engine. If so, I wouldn't do this long term.

> Are there any critical electric
> systems that would be off?

Radio, wipers, lights, windows, turn signals come to mind. Not sure if
this car predates ABS and airbags. If not add them to the list.

Old March 28th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Elliott P wrote:
> I have an old benz diesel. It's an 83 and sometimes it doesnt respond
> to me removing the key from ignition. Sometimes this is convienient
> because I can lock the doors if I'm doing a quick errand. Either way, I
> know how to stop it manually, and what causes it, but I'm curious if
> running it like that would do any harm. Are there any critical electric
> systems that would be off?

Normally, this would indicate either a vacuum leak. or a broken shutoff
diaphragm. Since your door locks work, it is probably your shutoff
diaphragm. Until you get this fixed, you can use the shutoff lever
located under the hood. IIRC, it is located by the fuel distributor.