what to do with a crack in the radiator?

Old December 20th 04, 07:02 PM
NotAcarGuy94

Default what to do with a crack in the radiator?

is that fixable or do i need to buy a new one? i heard there is some kind
of stuff that seals the cracks but is that reliable?
car year:1994

any info would help alot.

Old December 20th 04, 10:44 PM
Chief_Wiggum

Anything you goop on there will be temporary, and NOT reliable.

If you pull the radiator out, and take it to a rad shop, they can replace
the cracked tank for you, or, depending on the condition of the rest of the
radiator, sell you a rebuilt.

Don't know what it's like around there, but here I'd expect to pay around
$100.00 for a rebuilt rad with a warranty..

lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 21st 04, 04:05 AM
John Riggs

Chief, have you ever tried JB Weld? I have even used it on gas tanks
with satisfactory results. It is cold, heat, and solvent resistant, and if I
was going to attempt a radiator repair with it, I would have to remove and
prep the surface first, and allow a full 24 hours cure before returning to
service. It would likely work fine, and it's very close to the same epoxy
used on the radiator to begin with.
Prep is the key to making it work. If at all possible remove the tank to
the indoors to work on it. Making sure that the surface is facing upwards so
the epoxy stays where you put it. The surface must be clean ( use alcohol ),
preferably scuffing the area with 320 grit for best hold. Mix epoxy ( JB
Weld ) and apply to part to be repaired. let set for 24 hours and don't
stick your fingers on it until that 24 hours is up.
The repair will look like a lump, but it will be fixed. Don't muck it up
by grinding it off to make it look good. ( ah, the stories I could tell ).

Old December 21st 04, 02:28 PM
351CJ

"NotAcarGuy94" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> is that fixable or do i need to buy a new one? i heard there is some kind
> of stuff that seals the cracks but is that reliable?
> car year:1994
>
> any info would help alot.

Depends on your financial situation I guess. None of the dump in "quick"
fix product will "fix" a radiator leak they are a half-assed patch at best.
Some of them even cause more problems then they help. Either have it
repaired, properly or replace it. Today I lump the radiator in with my
tires, brakes, batteries, belts and hoses. I don't fart around with these
critical component. If it leaks, I take that as an opportunity to buy a new
four core radiator for that rig.

Old December 26th 04, 09:58 PM
R&B

JB weld is good stuff. I had an old 1953 Chevy that froze up in cold
weather. It busted the head, big time. I fill it up with water and it all
spewed out 10 seconds later. I bought enough JB weld to fill the crack that
was large enough to look in and see part of the valve stem. I ran the motor
to get it hot, filled the crack with JB weld, and let it set overnight. The
next day I filled the radiator with water and no leaks. I sold the car the
next weekend, real cheap. I showed the buyer the repair. He drove the car
around the block, came back and said I'll take it. Don't know how long it
ran after the sale, but we were both satisfied.
Ron

Old January 7th 05, 07:52 AM
ak47sarah

This may sound really dump but pepper is a temporary fix.

Old January 8th 05, 07:33 AM
RikiTikiTavi

"Chief_Wiggum" > wrotenews:ABIxd.57064$DC.14973
@fed1read03:

> Anything you goop on there will be temporary, and NOT reliable.
>
> If you pull the radiator out, and take it to a rad shop, they can replace
> the cracked tank for you, or, depending on the condition of the rest of

the
> radiator, sell you a rebuilt.
>
> Don't know what it's like around there, but here I'd expect to pay around
> $100.00 for a rebuilt rad with a warranty..
>

> "NotAcarGuy94" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
>> is that fixable or do i need to buy a new one? i heard there is some

kind
>> of stuff that seals the cracks but is that reliable?
>> car year:1994
>>
>> any info would help alot.

I bought one online and had it delivered to my door, brand new for $137
FYI.

Had to get a shadetree to put it in though. Another $75.

-- Riki
--Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

96 Nissan Sentra... Would this kind of radiator hose cause overheating? Al Kondo Technology 1 January 12th 05 10:56 PM
Need radiator replacement for 88 Prelude 2.0Si Ron Honda 0 November 28th 04 08:10 PM
radiator, related issues? I319 Honda 5 October 9th 04 05:53 AM
Radiator Flush?? Curley Dodge 10 April 27th 04 05:21 PM