Legailty Of Traffic Light Cameras

Old November 27th 04, 03:24 PM
TURBOROCCO

Default Legailty Of Traffic Light Cameras

Regarding: Colorado Law in particular.

Hi, I was wondering how legal traffic light cameras are.

My main question is if they flash you running a red light can they legally
send you a ticket in the mail requiring you to pay a fine. Also, will you
incur points against your license in addition to the fine?
Furthermore, if this system is in use does their have to be some type of
Visual Indication to show the motorist that they are being used in order for
them to do this legally?

Thank you for any information. Your Concerned Dub motorist who is getting
tkts left and right. :-(

Old November 27th 04, 03:45 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,
TURBOROCCO > wrote:
>Regarding: Colorado Law in particular.
>
>Hi, I was wondering how legal traffic light cameras are.
>
>My main question is if they flash you running a red light can they legally
>send you a ticket in the mail requiring you to pay a fine. Also, will you
>incur points against your license in addition to the fine?
>Furthermore, if this system is in use does their have to be some type of
>Visual Indication to show the motorist that they are being used in order for
>them to do this legally?
>
>Thank you for any information. Your Concerned Dub motorist who is getting
>tkts left and right. :-(

The person who the license plate is registered to will get the ticket. My
GF was driving in NJ and the toll gate didn't work when she dropped 35 cents
into the basket. After a few moments she beeped the horn and kept going.
Since the license plate was in my name, I was cited a ticket. The owner has
to fess up who was driving or prove it was stolen. My GF wrote a letter
explaining what happened and cut a check for 35 cents.

Normally when trying to beat a yellow light, you have a red both ways
condition which technically is still in your favor (nopoints). However if the driver
went thru a red light while the other direction was green then that is
a moving violation which can take away points.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old November 27th 04, 03:45 PM
Peter Parker

Old November 27th 04, 04:21 PM

TURBOROCCO wrote:

> Regarding: Colorado Law in particular.
>
> Hi, I was wondering how legal traffic light cameras are.
>
> My main question is if they flash you running a red light can they legally
> send you a ticket in the mail requiring you to pay a fine. Also, will you
> incur points against your license in addition to the fine?
> Furthermore, if this system is in use does their have to be some type of
> Visual Indication to show the motorist that they are being used in order for
> them to do this legally?
>
> Thank you for any information. Your Concerned Dub motorist who is getting
> tkts left and right. :-(

I'm not a lawyer, but...

In MD, you can be fined, but do not get awarded any points. It's a pure
revenue grab, the judges know it, the machines can be tweaked endlessly,
and if you have a legitimate gripe, you'll not have to pay anything.

I've been lit up exactly once...during a yellow...and no fine was
mailed.

On the other hand, if you playing free and easy with lights turning red:
consider braking: the camera will let you be and we'll all be a little
safer...
Old November 27th 04, 04:21 PM

Old November 27th 04, 06:03 PM
Woodchuck

Pennsylvania doesn't have them, but I wish they did. Around here once the
light turns RED you can count as many as 6 vehicles going through. So once
you get a green light one must wait until it's safe to go. We were in
Arizona last fall and they have camera lights which must work well, because
when the light changes RED, everyone stops! So fess up, "getting tkts left
and right"... wouldn't be a lot safer and cheaper if you would just learn
how to drive?????

Old November 27th 04, 06:03 PM
Woodchuck

Old November 27th 04, 07:35 PM
Rob Guenther

When the light goes AMBER, and you can stop the vehicle without causing
significant nosedive/squealing tires/motorists rear ending you then STOP the
damn car! VW's have pretty good brakes, and they are cheaper to replace then
paying off traffic tickets and insurance hikes due to points on your record.

They are QUITE legal and the owner of the plate gets the bill. Don't think
you accrue points in Ontario, as they aren't sure who is driving the car.

In Ontario they are talking about bringing back Photo-Radar.... basically
minivans (with radar-camera's) that drive around looking for speeders on the
400 series highways (Ontario's main system of express highways) and we have
traffic camera's at Toronto's worst intersections.... Like one poster said,
you would see a good 5-6 people fly thru the red lights.

In Europe they have speed cameras on bridge underpasses - friend of my
father's almost (he had "priors" but he was able to pay a huge fine, as he
needed his car/licence for his job as a salesman) lost his license
permanently for doing 200kph in a 120kph zone on one of the Autobahn's - he
never slowed down when he saw that the speed limit had taken effect.

Old November 27th 04, 07:35 PM
Rob Guenther

Old November 27th 04, 07:39 PM
Biz

Easy fix, quit trying to run the lights....