"Clunk!" in Front End During Slow Turns

Old January 3rd 05, 02:48 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

OK, I read th erest ofthe thread, 2wd, not 4wd. In this case I'd suspect
your track bar.

"Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
> Axle U joints.
>
> "Mike Becker" > wrote in message
> > Thanks in advance for any help you can offer on this. I've spent about
> > $400 on two different sets of wheel hubs trying to track this one down

and
> > have worn out the search function of web forums and newsgroups.
> >
> > I have a '98 Cherokee with about 100k miles on it. During any sort of
> > slower turn (sub 15mph) a loud "clunk" noise shoots out from the front

end
> > of the vehicle. It is sometimes a single clunk, and sometimes a rapid

3-4
> > succession of clunks. Standing outside the vehicle, it sounds like it's
> > coming directly from the wheel. It clunks from either the left or right
> > side, but never both.
> >
> > When this first started, I assumed the hubs were shot and replaced them.
> > Unfortunately the problem continued. Everything I read was still

pointing
> > at the hubs, so I went ahead and bought a different set from Napa, but

the
> > problem remains.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure my hub installation is solid: 175ft-lbs on spindle nut,

> 75
> > ft-lbs on hub bolts, and lots of bearing grease everywhere. At this

point

Old January 3rd 05, 03:21 AM
Jerry Bransford

Matt Macchiarolo wrote: I'd suspect
> your track bar.

Me too.

Jerry
--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old January 3rd 05, 03:49 AM
RoyJ

Me too except rack bar on the 2wd??? I thought those had a standard
wishbone suspension.

Old January 3rd 05, 04:22 AM
Dean

On occasion my TJ will make a clunking noise from the front end when I turn left
or right. It is always caused by the upper track arm mount coming loose. (I
have the nasty Rubicon Express track arm :-( A few minutes with a wrench fixes
the problem for me.

Dean

Old January 3rd 05, 05:57 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

Nope, uses a 5-link suspension just like a 4wd, with a solid beam axle, just
not a drive axle.

nk.net...

Old January 3rd 05, 03:04 PM
Snow

Check the "ball" end of the track bar (on the drivers side mount), mine was
well worn out when I recently had it replaced, but when it started clunking
it was only doing so on turns. Have someone start up the J**P and turn the
wheel from lock to lock while you look under at the track bar mount, the
joint could be moving in the mount, the hole goes egg shape as it wears.

Snow...

Old January 3rd 05, 05:07 PM
RoyJ

Heh, heh, I've never seen a 2wd Cherokee!

Old January 3rd 05, 05:52 PM
Jp Davis

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...x?adID=5111958

hlink.net...

Old January 4th 05, 12:39 AM
Mike Becker

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:07:44 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

> Heh, heh, I've never seen a 2wd Cherokee!

It's a crazy concept, I know The great thing is that I got it about 40k
miles ago for $4,000. Only "problem" then was that the tires were shot. I
like the clearance, the suspension, and the size of the vehicle for camping
and vacations. I hop in a puddle every now and then and kind of wish I had
4WD when I see something really gnarly, but overall it does what I need it
to.

--
becker;
email = remove the fruit;
Old January 4th 05, 12:42 AM
Mike Becker

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 03:22:00 GMT, Dean wrote:

> On occasion my TJ will make a clunking noise from the front end when I turn left
> or right. It is always caused by the upper track arm mount coming loose. (I
> have the nasty Rubicon Express track arm :-( A few minutes with a wrench fixes
> the problem for me.

I tried to "wiggle" the track bar the other day but couldn't get any
significant movement and didn't see any problems at the joints. Of course,
probably can't exert quite the same force as the vehicle. I'll do a more
thorough inspection tonight.

Thanks!

--
becker;