Posting a 156

Old July 28th 04, 01:58 PM
Pete

Default Posting a 156

I thought that I would just share.

I can confirm that it is not a good idea to allow 'er to borrow your 156
and reverse it into a post :-(

The rear valance is well abraded, and the rear of the boot lid has a lovely
crease down it. The bodyshop estimate is £1840.00 to fix it.

Question:- if I drive 'er 147 off a cliff, should I even bother to jump out

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old July 28th 04, 09:39 PM
Catman

Pete wrote:

> I thought that I would just share.
>
> I can confirm that it is not a good idea to allow 'er to borrow your 156
> and reverse it into a post :-(
>
> The rear valance is well abraded, and the rear of the boot lid has a
> lovely crease down it. The bodyshop estimate is £1840.00 to fix it.

*ouch*

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 29th 04, 09:06 PM
Pete

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:39:54 GMT, Catman >,
wrote:

>Pete wrote:
>
>> I thought that I would just share.
>>
>> I can confirm that it is not a good idea to allow 'er to borrow your 156
>> and reverse it into a post :-(
>>
>> The rear valance is well abraded, and the rear of the boot lid has a
>> lovely crease down it. The bodyshop estimate is £1840.00 to fix it.

>*ouch*

Another day, another estimate from a small independent £300ish
How amazing is that. One deals with insurers direct, one deals with
local car owners. Guess which was the enormous mark-up <g>

Pete

Old July 29th 04, 10:42 PM
Carl Farrington

Pete wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:39:54 GMT, Catman
> >, wrote:
>
>> Pete wrote:
>>
>>> I thought that I would just share.
>>>
>>> I can confirm that it is not a good idea to allow 'er to borrow
>>> your 156 and reverse it into a post :-(
>>>
>>> The rear valance is well abraded, and the rear of the boot lid has a
>>> lovely crease down it. The bodyshop estimate is £1840.00 to fix it.

>> *ouch*

> Another day, another estimate from a small independent £300ish
> How amazing is that. One deals with insurers direct, one deals with
> local car owners. Guess which was the enormous mark-up <g>

that sounds too cheap. My Supra was rear ended, and the boot floor is gone
in a bit and the rear bumper slightly out of shape. Quote for that is £1500
but it does have to have a new bumper, and a new back-panel.

Old July 29th 04, 10:55 PM
SteveH

Carl Farrington > wrote:

> > Another day, another estimate from a small independent £300ish
> > How amazing is that. One deals with insurers direct, one deals with
> > local car owners. Guess which was the enormous mark-up <g>
> >

> that sounds too cheap. My Supra was rear ended, and the boot floor is gone
> in a bit and the rear bumper slightly out of shape. Quote for that is £1500
> but it does have to have a new bumper, and a new back-panel.

Sounds about right to me, depending on how many panels need replacing.

When I pranged my Cinq. - Fiat wanted close on £2k for the repairs -
although they were going to replace all the panels on the driver's side
of the car.

Got it done 'cash in hand' by a friend of a friend's son for £150.

To be fair, he didn't use any panels, but managed to pop out the worst
of the damage before applying a skim of filler and painting.

Was a proper job - only people who knew me knew it had been done,
IYSWIM.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old July 30th 04, 12:19 AM
Carl Farrington

SteveH wrote:
> Carl Farrington > wrote:
>
>>> Another day, another estimate from a small independent £300ish
>>> How amazing is that. One deals with insurers direct, one deals with
>>> local car owners. Guess which was the enormous mark-up <g>
>>>

>> that sounds too cheap. My Supra was rear ended, and the boot floor
>> is gone in a bit and the rear bumper slightly out of shape. Quote
>> for that is £1500 but it does have to have a new bumper, and a new
>> back-panel.

> Sounds about right to me, depending on how many panels need replacing.
>
> When I pranged my Cinq. - Fiat wanted close on £2k for the repairs -
> although they were going to replace all the panels on the driver's
> side
> of the car.
>
> Got it done 'cash in hand' by a friend of a friend's son for £150.
>
> To be fair, he didn't use any panels, but managed to pop out the worst
> of the damage before applying a skim of filler and painting.
>
> Was a proper job - only people who knew me knew it had been done,
> IYSWIM.

yep. that is quite a price difference! When I dented the door and quarter
(the bit that meets with the door) on my GTV, I paid about £450 to have it
fixed - filler job. Retail type bodyshop quoted about £1800 to have new
panels.

Old July 30th 04, 03:34 PM
MeatballTurbo

In article >, iowna156
@alfa.com says...
> Another day, another estimate from a small independent =A3300ish=20
> How amazing is that. One deals with insurers direct, one deals with
> local car owners. Guess which was the enormous mark-up <g>
>=20

That is the way they work.
A lot will ask when quoting, it is for you or for the insurance.

They know to mark up heavy for the insurance, because they will still be=20
way below the price paid to the "Approved Repairer". If they are doing=20
it for you, they will do it at the right price for the job, and you will=20
still get a proper job.
--=20
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Old August 16th 04, 01:59 PM
Steve Drake

I learnt something about insurance this week, if you get it fixed by the
insurance company they will get the parts at list price and get the labour
discounted, once its all been fixed and they pay, you can then pay the money
back to the insurance company and retract the claim, saving your NCD and
even if you had it protected it still would go up, so you save that to.

Steve

Old August 16th 04, 09:08 PM
Pete

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:59:25 +0100, "Steve Drake"
>, wrote:

>I learnt something about insurance this week, if you get it fixed by the
>insurance company they will get the parts at list price and get the labour
>discounted, once its all been fixed and they pay, you can then pay the money
>back to the insurance company and retract the claim, saving your NCD and
>even if you had it protected it still would go up, so you save that to.
>

>Steve

I will break with tradition and reply to your top post and say Thank You.
That's an interesting point. I will file that gem for others. Ta.

It will not apply in my case as the "mates rates" cost was only just over
£300.00 and the only part needed was paint. The insurers preferred ripoff
merchants wanted to charge for replacing the boot lid and valance when
neither were needed. The valance had no cracks or splits. Just a scuff that
needed buffing out and painting. The boot lid needed a small crease easing
out and then re-sprayed. A total con job. I have since met another unhappy
driver who visited their garage. They were silly enough to leave their car
there. It had a been rear-ended at traffic lights <ouch> The NEW roof was
not, but a bodged job on the old one. They failed to touch up a paint mark
made by suitcase mishap the year before <whoops>. The windscreen was not
properly bonded and popped out while the guy was driving the "fixed" car
home. Glad I did not use that garage.

Pete