Hydraulic VS. Electric winches

Old February 26th 05, 09:21 PM

Do you know if the winch will destroy your power steering pump? Or is
this no issue>

Matt

Old February 26th 05, 10:01 PM

Very good report on the winch you have there ...

Matt

Old February 26th 05, 10:04 PM
Nathan W. Collier

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Do you know if the winch will destroy your power steering pump? Or is
> this no issue>

ive never known a pump to fail from adding a winch. the energy is there
anyway, the winch just takes advantage of it.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old February 27th 05, 02:19 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Nothing wrong with your server dude, your computer time and date are
> just plain off.

my date/time are both correct, i just checked it. i use xp pro that
synchronizes its internal clock with microsoft. any problems with message
times have to be server related as im currently showing 18:16MST 2/25/05 on
my pc clock.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old February 27th 05, 08:22 AM
Axel Hammer

"Nathan W. Collier" schrieb:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Do you know if the winch will destroy your power steering pump? Or is
> > this no issue>

> ive never known a pump to fail from adding a winch. the energy is there
> anyway, the winch just takes advantage of it.

Prolonged winching heats up the oil very rapidly since P/S pumps have almost
no reservoir that may act as 'thermal buffer'.
Real PTO hydraulics have at least 10 to 20l of hydraulic fluid that can
buffer the heat and the tank may act as radiator as well.

Dunno what the military's up to, but they won't work their winches long -
and if they fail, who cares. I suggest to check out military strategies
regarding the effective lifetime in battle when talking of the quality of
military equipment. The seal 'military approved' isn't worth that much if
you know about the details.

Cheers,

Axel

Old February 27th 05, 08:44 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"Axel Hammer" > wrote in message
> Prolonged winching heats up the oil very rapidly since P/S pumps have
> almost
> no reservoir that may act as 'thermal buffer'.

what damage are you suggesting? i know of many situations on organized runs
where a single p/s hyraulic winch pulled the entire party up hills to steep
to climb with no damage. in fact, watching this first hand is what sold me
on hydraulic winching to begin with. i was riding my ATV on ft. bragg and
watched a hmmwv winch an entire convoy up a ravine.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old February 27th 05, 10:21 AM
Axel Hammer

"Nathan W. Collier" schrieb:

> what damage are you suggesting? i know of many situations on organized runs
> where a single p/s hyraulic winch pulled the entire party up hills to steep
> to climb with no damage. in fact, watching this first hand is what sold me
> on hydraulic winching to begin with. i was riding my ATV on ft. bragg and
> watched a hmmwv winch an entire convoy up a ravine.

Fading of the hydraulic power (that is, of the little power such a pump can
provide compared to >>10kW up to 20kW a PTO provides), loss of lubrication,
damaged pump a.s.o. Overheating effects in a wide variety, boiling oil, spilled
oilŽ, failure of seals.

The professional rallye drivers and recovery vehicle owners we equip would laugh
at us for good reason if we'd suggest PS-driven hydraulics. A single belt as
supplied in standard 4x4 vehicles CANNOT provide enough long-term mechanical
power in excess of 2-3kW. A PTO can.

Rgds,

Axel

Old February 27th 05, 04:12 PM
Mike Romain

"Nathan W. Collier" wrote:

> "Axel Hammer" > wrote in message
> > Prolonged winching heats up the oil very rapidly since P/S pumps have
> > almost
> > no reservoir that may act as 'thermal buffer'.

> what damage are you suggesting? i know of many situations on organized runs
> where a single p/s hyraulic winch pulled the entire party up hills to steep
> to climb with no damage. in fact, watching this first hand is what sold me
> on hydraulic winching to begin with. i was riding my ATV on ft. bragg and
> watched a hmmwv winch an entire convoy up a ravine.
>
> --
> Nathan W. Collier
> http://7SlotGrille.com
> http://UtilityOffRoad.com

On that note alone I for one am sure glad I was given an electric
winch....

Man to be the sucker/fool/idiot who stands at the top and 'has' to help
everyone up is sure not my idea of a fun off road trip.
;-)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old February 27th 05, 07:21 PM
Nathan W. Collier

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Man to be the sucker/fool/idiot who stands at the top and 'has' to help
> everyone up is sure not my idea of a fun off road trip.
> ;-)

heh. i dont mind it really. ive been "lead dog" in those situations when
wheeling with my buddys just because i had the hydraulic winch. its not to
bad so long as youre sitting on your bumper sipping a cold one while some
other sucker is running the cable back down. :-)

that said, ill take it up another level. i think that its irresponsible of
anyone to wheel without their own recovery gear. it doesnt have to be a
hydraulic winch or an electric winch. it can be a come-along or highlift
with enough straps but have _something_ to keep from being a burden on those
around you. theres just no excuse for not having some type of recovery gear
on board, you cant afford to off road without it. ive happened across some
in the past who were stuck that didnt have any recovery gear at all, and not
a clue what they were going to do and they were totally at my mercy and good
graces. its really sad when its a family out wheeling with small children
and not so much as even a cell phone/cb radio.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Electric Winches for sale. blokemn 4x4 0 January 3rd 05 11:49 PM
sealing hydraulic connections Abeness Honda 9 December 7th 04 02:24 AM
Renault Megane Cabriolet - Fitting new Hydraulic cables for electric hood Shaun General 1 August 23rd 04 05:56 PM
Selling my GEM electric car on eBay! Must sell this week Dex General 0 March 12th 04 08:42 AM