2000 GSR: Immobilizer?

Old November 22nd 07, 04:03 AM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Default 2000 GSR: Immobilizer?

Jim Yanik > wrote in
:

> Tegger > wrote in
> :
>

>> And how will the ECM disable the fuel system? By refusing to ground
>> the Main Relay (probably by leaving terminal 8 open).

> Does it SAY that?

No it does not. It *does* say that the ECM will refuse to ground the Main
Relay. I'm guessing on the Terminal 8 thing. Terminal 8 is the activation
line for pre-'02 Main Relays.

Around '02, Honda split the Main Relay into two separate relays, one for
fuel, for ignition. I haven't scrutinized the diagrams to see exactly what
goes where. Yet.

> I thought it might inhibit injector operation,shutting them off
> totally. (at least in the RSX,a newer system.)
> That's what happens in my Sentra SE-R SpecV.
> That also is "disabling the fuel system".
>>
>> Are you thinking the same thing I'm thinking?
>>

> Just not grounding the main relay leaves it vulnerable to
> jumpering,very simple.
> An "immobilizer" HAS to disable the ECU to be effective.

I wonder how honest my (factory) manual is. It claims fuel disable, and
nothing more.

> If that's the case,best to install a hidden fuel pump disable switch.
> I wish I had done that for my 94 GS-R,I had the parts all ready for
> installation,just didn't get to it in time. It cost me big time.

That's too bad. The late John Ings had just that advice up on the FAQ
before I took it over.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/stolen.html

There're only two lines to the fuel pump, and one's a ground. Splice into
the live wire and it would be a rare crook indeed who could figure that one
out. No power, no fuel.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Old November 22nd 07, 04:30 AM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

:

>> Tegger > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> And how will the ECM disable the fuel system? By refusing to ground
>>> the Main Relay (probably by leaving terminal 8 open).

>> Does it SAY that?

>No it does not. It *does* say that the ECM will refuse to ground the Main
>Relay. I'm guessing on the Terminal 8 thing. Terminal 8 is the activation
>line for pre-'02 Main Relays.

>Around '02, Honda split the Main Relay into two separate relays, one for
>fuel, for ignition. I haven't scrutinized the diagrams to see exactly what
>goes where. Yet.

>> I thought it might inhibit injector operation,shutting them off
>> totally. (at least in the RSX,a newer system.)
>> That's what happens in my Sentra SE-R SpecV.
>> That also is "disabling the fuel system".
>>>
>>> Are you thinking the same thing I'm thinking?
>>>

>> Just not grounding the main relay leaves it vulnerable to
>> jumpering,very simple.
>> An "immobilizer" HAS to disable the ECU to be effective.

>I wonder how honest my (factory) manual is. It claims fuel disable, and
>nothing more.

>> If that's the case,best to install a hidden fuel pump disable switch.
>> I wish I had done that for my 94 GS-R,I had the parts all ready for
>> installation,just didn't get to it in time. It cost me big time.
>>

>That's too bad. The late John Ings had just that advice up on the FAQ
>before I took it over.
>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/stolen.html

>There're only two lines to the fuel pump, and one's a ground. Splice into
>the live wire and it would be a rare crook indeed who could figure that one
>out. No power, no fuel.

Even if the fuel pump runs, the ECM can simply fail to signal the injectors.
Ditto for the ignition. You can't have a running engine without
the ECM participating.
Old November 22nd 07, 01:56 PM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

AZ Nomad > wrote in
:

> Even if the fuel pump runs, the ECM can simply fail to signal the
> injectors. Ditto for the ignition. You can't have a running engine
> without the ECM participating.

You're right of course. That's why I wondered earlier how honest the shop
manual was. It would be trivially easy for Honda to tell the ECM to disable
spark and injectors as well as the fuel pump.

But none of this explains how the OP's car was stolen in the first place,
which is what this whole thread was about.

Old November 22nd 07, 05:31 PM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

:

>> Even if the fuel pump runs, the ECM can simply fail to signal the
>> injectors. Ditto for the ignition. You can't have a running engine
>> without the ECM participating.
>>

>You're right of course. That's why I wondered earlier how honest the shop
>manual was. It would be trivially easy for Honda to tell the ECM to disable
>spark and injectors as well as the fuel pump.

>But none of this explains how the OP's car was stolen in the first place,
>which is what this whole thread was about.

if it had an immobilizer, it was either tricked, or more likely, the car
was simply towed away.
Old November 22nd 07, 06:39 PM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
Jim Yanik

Tegger > wrote in
:

> AZ Nomad > wrote in
> :
>

>> Even if the fuel pump runs, the ECM can simply fail to signal the
>> injectors. Ditto for the ignition. You can't have a running engine
>> without the ECM participating.
>>

> You're right of course. That's why I wondered earlier how honest the
> shop manual was. It would be trivially easy for Honda to tell the ECM
> to disable spark and injectors as well as the fuel pump.
>
> But none of this explains how the OP's car was stolen in the first
> place, which is what this whole thread was about.

it would seem that the ECM does NOT disable the injectors,just the
relay,and they just jumpered the relay,then pushstarted the car.

Or they brought along their own ECM,swapped it in,and then jimmied the
ignition switch,with their matching key close enough for the key reader to
query it. That's a bit of a stretch,but not impossible.

If you install a fuel pump cutoff switch,you should remove the rear seat to
access the fuel pump wires,not under the dash where the mod would be easily
found.Then run the wire under the carpet to somewhere reachable from the
drivers seat.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old November 27th 07, 11:20 PM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred[_3_]

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5315727.html

> Dave

You don't even have to live in Texas to do that. If I caught someone trying
to steal my car, I'd tie them to a fence and chop off their balls and make
them eat them, then I'd shoot them! If it was a woman I'd tie them to a
fence, and then have my way with her and then I'd shoot her. I'm a nice
person, I'm just very protective of my car.

Old November 27th 07, 11:24 PM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred[_3_]

> If that's the case,best to install a hidden fuel pump disable switch.
> I wish I had done that for my 94 GS-R,I had the parts all ready for
> installation,just didn't get to it in time. It cost me big time.

What about just putting The Club on the steering wheel? How good are they?

Old November 27th 07, 11:56 PM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"alfred" > wrote in
:

>> If that's the case,best to install a hidden fuel pump disable switch.
>> I wish I had done that for my 94 GS-R,I had the parts all ready for
>> installation,just didn't get to it in time. It cost me big time.
>>

> What about just putting The Club on the steering wheel? How good are
> they?

Bolt cutters. Off it comes. The Club is totally useless.

Old November 28th 07, 12:01 AM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
Jim Yanik

"alfred" > wrote in
:

>> If that's the case,best to install a hidden fuel pump disable switch.
>> I wish I had done that for my 94 GS-R,I had the parts all ready for
>> installation,just didn't get to it in time. It cost me big time.
>>

> What about just putting The Club on the steering wheel? How good are
> they?

Waste of money.

they *cut off* part of your steering wheel.
Maybe one that clamps on the brake pedal arm might be worthwhile.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old November 28th 07, 02:48 AM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:24:47 -0500, alfred > wrote:

>> If that's the case,best to install a hidden fuel pump disable switch.
>> I wish I had done that for my 94 GS-R,I had the parts all ready for
>> installation,just didn't get to it in time. It cost me big time.
>>

>What about just putting The Club on the steering wheel? How good are they?

They're absolutely worthless. They can be removed in under 15 seconds by
cutting the steering wheel.

immobilizer Geoff[_2_] Audi 1 February 4th 09 08:51 PM
2000 GSR: Immobilizer? Hell and High Water Honda 0 November 19th 07 08:25 PM
2000 Jetta immobilizer issues [email protected] VW water cooled 5 October 6th 05 03:51 AM
98 VW immobilizer wayne arthur VW water cooled 0 June 22nd 05 04:07 AM
Immobilizer Theft-Deterrent in Honda Civic Ex 2000 Kenny Honda 7 June 1st 05 02:45 AM