2000 GSR: Immobilizer?

Old November 20th 07, 01:04 AM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Default 2000 GSR: Immobilizer?

Hell and High Water > wrote in
:

> Did the 2000 Acura Integra GSR have an 'immobilizer' chip in the key?

<proper crossposting added, including rec.autos.makers.honda>

Yes, your keys have chips in them. Why?

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 20th 07, 03:28 PM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
Hell and High Water

In article >,
says...
> Hell and High Water > wrote in
> :
>
> > Did the 2000 Acura Integra GSR have an 'immobilizer' chip in the key?
> >

> <proper crossposting added, including rec.autos.makers.honda>
>
> Yes, your keys have chips in them. Why?

Someone stole my 2000 Acura Integra GSR, and I had assumed they broke
in, started it, and drove off.

Just wondering how they did that...

-Bob

Old November 20th 07, 03:54 PM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
Jim Yanik

Hell and High Water > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> says...
>> Hell and High Water > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > Did the 2000 Acura Integra GSR have an 'immobilizer' chip in the key?
>> >

>> <proper crossposting added, including rec.autos.makers.honda>
>>
>> Yes, your keys have chips in them. Why?

> Someone stole my 2000 Acura Integra GSR, and I had assumed they broke
> in, started it, and drove off.
>
> Just wondering how they did that...
>

> -Bob

perhaps they brought along their own rigged immobilizer module?
I've found references to an anti-theft "immobilizer" system,but no mention
of RFID-chipped keys.IIRC,the "immobilizer" is a separate module.

on my 94 GS-R,they push-started the car even though it had an alarm with
starter lockout.Drove it off at 3:40AM with the alarm blaring,too.
"gone in 60 seconds".

You need to have a hidden fuel cutoff switch,and maybe even take the ECU
indoors with you at night.

F-ing G-D thieves,we should be allowed to shoot them on sight.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old November 20th 07, 08:09 PM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:34:32 -0600, Dave Garrett > wrote:

>In article >,
>says...

>> F-ing G-D thieves,we should be allowed to shoot them on sight.

>You should move to Texas. That's exactly what someone did last week.
>Still no word on whether the DA's going to press charges, but public
>opinion here has so far been mostly in favor of the shooter.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5315727.html

In louisiana, being on your property and not speaking english well is enough
reason to shoot them dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshihiro_Hattori

Old November 20th 07, 11:44 PM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Hell and High Water > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> says...
>> Hell and High Water > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > Did the 2000 Acura Integra GSR have an 'immobilizer' chip in the key?
>> >

>> <proper crossposting added, including rec.autos.makers.honda>
>>
>> Yes, your keys have chips in them. Why?

> Someone stole my 2000 Acura Integra GSR, and I had assumed they broke
> in, started it, and drove off.
>
> Just wondering how they did that...

It's my understanding that dealerships have "skeleton keys" that will open
any Honda. It may be that there are stolen copies floating around of such
keys.

It's also possible computer hackers have found a way to defeat the
security. It can't be much harder than hacking any other computer-based
security setup.

Old November 21st 07, 03:34 AM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
Jim Yanik

Tegger > wrote in
:

> Hell and High Water > wrote in
> :
>
>> In article >,
>> says...
>>> Hell and High Water > wrote in
>>> :

>>> <proper crossposting added, including rec.autos.makers.honda>
>>>
>>> Yes, your keys have chips in them. Why?

>> Someone stole my 2000 Acura Integra GSR, and I had assumed they broke
>> in, started it, and drove off.
>>
>> Just wondering how they did that...
>>

> It's my understanding that dealerships have "skeleton keys" that will
> open any Honda. It may be that there are stolen copies floating around
> of such keys.
>
> It's also possible computer hackers have found a way to defeat the
> security. It can't be much harder than hacking any other
> computer-based security setup.

it depends on whether the Hondas use an ECU-based
"immobilizer" where an implanted code in the ECU has to match what the RFID
chip in the key generates. Then they would have to change the ECU out to
get the car to start with their RFID key.

ISTR that the later Integras had a separate "immobilizer" module(just a
starter disable) that could be unplugged and replaced with a jumper module
or hacked module.

IOW,it's just like aftermarket alarms,easily defeated.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old November 21st 07, 06:16 PM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Jim Yanik > wrote in
:

> Tegger > wrote in
> :
>
>> Hell and High Water > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> In article >,
>>> says...

>>> Someone stole my 2000 Acura Integra GSR, and I had assumed they
>>> broke in, started it, and drove off.
>>>
>>> Just wondering how they did that...
>>>

>> It's my understanding that dealerships have "skeleton keys" that will
>> open any Honda. It may be that there are stolen copies floating
>> around of such keys.
>>
>> It's also possible computer hackers have found a way to defeat the
>> security. It can't be much harder than hacking any other
>> computer-based security setup.
>>

> it depends on whether the Hondas use an ECU-based
> "immobilizer" where an implanted code in the ECU has to match what the
> RFID chip in the key generates. Then they would have to change the ECU
> out to get the car to start with their RFID key.
>
> ISTR that the later Integras had a separate "immobilizer" module(just
> a starter disable) that could be unplugged and replaced with a jumper
> module or hacked module.
>
> IOW,it's just like aftermarket alarms,easily defeated.

I just did some quick studying of the immobilizer system in my manuals.

The '00-'05 Integra/RSX's immobilizer consist of three components: The
transponder in the key, the control unit/receiver, and the engine's
computer.

The receiver is right next to the ignition lock cylinder. When the
receiver senses the correct signal from the key's transponder, it sends
a coded sequence back to the engine's ECM. If the transmitted code is
correct, the ECM causes the fuel system to be operated in a normal
manner. If the signal is wrong, the fuel system will be disabled.

And how will the ECM disable the fuel system? By refusing to ground the
Main Relay (probably by leaving terminal 8 open).

Are you thinking the same thing I'm thinking?

Old November 21st 07, 08:47 PM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
Hell and High Water

In article >,
says...

> I just did some quick studying of the immobilizer system in my manuals.
>
> The '00-'05 Integra/RSX's immobilizer consist of three components: The
> transponder in the key, the control unit/receiver, and the engine's
> computer.
>
> The receiver is right next to the ignition lock cylinder. When the
> receiver senses the correct signal from the key's transponder, it sends
> a coded sequence back to the engine's ECM. If the transmitted code is
> correct, the ECM causes the fuel system to be operated in a normal
> manner. If the signal is wrong, the fuel system will be disabled.
>
> And how will the ECM disable the fuel system? By refusing to ground the
> Main Relay (probably by leaving terminal 8 open).
>
> Are you thinking the same thing I'm thinking?

No...

Not following you...

??

-Bob

Old November 22nd 07, 02:01 AM posted to alt.autos.acura,rec.autos.makers.honda
Jim Yanik

Tegger > wrote in
:

> Jim Yanik > wrote in
> :
>
>> Tegger > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Hell and High Water > wrote in
>>> :

>>> It's my understanding that dealerships have "skeleton keys" that will
>>> open any Honda. It may be that there are stolen copies floating
>>> around of such keys.
>>>
>>> It's also possible computer hackers have found a way to defeat the
>>> security. It can't be much harder than hacking any other
>>> computer-based security setup.
>>>

>> it depends on whether the Hondas use an ECU-based
>> "immobilizer" where an implanted code in the ECU has to match what the
>> RFID chip in the key generates. Then they would have to change the ECU
>> out to get the car to start with their RFID key.
>>
>> ISTR that the later Integras had a separate "immobilizer" module(just
>> a starter disable) that could be unplugged and replaced with a jumper
>> module or hacked module.
>>
>> IOW,it's just like aftermarket alarms,easily defeated.
>>

> I just did some quick studying of the immobilizer system in my manuals.
>
> The '00-'05 Integra/RSX's immobilizer consist of three components: The
> transponder in the key, the control unit/receiver, and the engine's
> computer.
>
> The receiver is right next to the ignition lock cylinder. When the
> receiver senses the correct signal from the key's transponder, it sends
> a coded sequence back to the engine's ECM. If the transmitted code is
> correct, the ECM causes the fuel system to be operated in a normal
> manner. If the signal is wrong, the fuel system will be disabled.
>
> And how will the ECM disable the fuel system? By refusing to ground the
> Main Relay (probably by leaving terminal 8 open).

Does it SAY that?
I thought it might inhibit injector operation,shutting them off totally.
(at least in the RSX,a newer system.)
That's what happens in my Sentra SE-R SpecV.
That also is "disabling the fuel system".

> Are you thinking the same thing I'm thinking?

Just not grounding the main relay leaves it vulnerable to jumpering,very
simple.
An "immobilizer" HAS to disable the ECU to be effective.

If that's the case,best to install a hidden fuel pump disable switch.
I wish I had done that for my 94 GS-R,I had the parts all ready for
installation,just didn't get to it in time. It cost me big time.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

immobilizer Geoff[_2_] Audi 1 February 4th 09 08:51 PM
2000 GSR: Immobilizer? Hell and High Water Honda 0 November 19th 07 08:25 PM
2000 Jetta immobilizer issues [email protected] VW water cooled 5 October 6th 05 03:51 AM
98 VW immobilizer wayne arthur VW water cooled 0 June 22nd 05 04:07 AM
Immobilizer Theft-Deterrent in Honda Civic Ex 2000 Kenny Honda 7 June 1st 05 02:45 AM