High Speed steering wheel wobble

Old July 9th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

Default High Speed steering wheel wobble

I recently had my ball joints and outer tie rod ends replace on my 97 2wd
explorer. At speeds about about 60 MPH, the steering wheel wobbles back and
forth ever so slightly. I had the front end aligned and the truck tracks
straight while going down the road, but if you let go of the steering wheel,
you can see move back and forth a little. Does this indicate a tire problem
or something else? I had the tires balanced a few months ago, but I may try
to take it in this week and have it done again to see if it will help.
Thanks.

Old July 10th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

What are "chopped" tires?

Old July 11th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
fordtech via CarKB.com

Captain Coleman wrote:
>What are "chopped" tires?
>
>> front tires could be chopped, common on exploders or tires maybe out of
>> balance

The tread area is not smooth. if you run your hand over the tread in one
direction you can feel the tread is raised like your going against the grain.
run your hand the other way and you don't feel that against the grain feel.
And it's clearly visible. and when your driving slow it feels like your on a
rough road and the tires are noisey

Old July 11th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

I had all four tires rebalanced and things have improved quite a bit, no
more steering wheel wobble. Driving at high speed on the new section of
interstate doesn't seem quite smooth though, kind of like the road is a
little rough even though it's not. I'll take a close look at the tires this
evening and look for the chopped condition. What causes chopped tires, is
it preventable, and is it a safety hazard?

Thanks for the replies.

Old July 12th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Big Shoe

Chopped tires could be an alignment issue and could also be caused by
not rotating the tires regularly. You should rotate them in the
pattern recommended in the owners manual.

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:32:43 -0500, "Captain Coleman"

Old August 18th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Fathergoose

"Big Shoe" > wrote in message
> Chopped tires could be an alignment issue and could also be caused by
> not rotating the tires regularly. You should rotate them in the
> pattern recommended in the owners manual.

Which is a modified X for my 2000 explorer.
I think a lot of places don't do that either.
They simply go front to back not crossing any ever.
Check your owners manual and see how yours is recommended.

fathergoose