Removing a steering gear box

Old April 9th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Removing a steering gear box

Anyone have any experience removing a steering gear box? I went to pull
it off today (02 Wrangler) but couldnt get to the bolt that hold the
intermediate shaft to the input shaft.

Thanks for your help!!

Old April 10th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Those terms do not make sense to me, except in a transmission.
Usually the problem is separating the pitman arm from the sector shaft,
which we need an american make puller, rented usual for free from any
parts sto http://www.billhughes.com/pitmanTool.jpg Here se see being
used on a tierod end. Steering box:
http://www.billhughes.com/97TJpowersteering.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old April 10th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Im talking about the coupler that connects the gear input shaft and
intermediate shaft. Its in a really tight and awkward. I was
wondering if i can drop the box down and then remove the coupler.

Thanks for the input!!

Old April 10th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The FSM says to remove the bumper shield, power steering hoses, and then the
"column coupler shaft" in that order. Then you remove the pitman arm, and
unbolt and remove the steering gear. Reassembly might be a good place to
use a thread locker product. The FSM says to use a *new* coupler pinch
bolt. It says to align the pitman arm and coupler shaft on reassembly. It
doesn't say anything about the coupler shaft being difficult to remove. ;^)

Torques a
mounting bolts -- 70 ft-lb
pitman arm nut -- 185 ft-lb
coupler pinch nut -- 36 ft-lb
power steering hoses -- 21 ft-lb

Earle

oups.com...

Old April 10th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Turn the steering wheel?

Dropping it lower will give you room too.

I helped a friend remove his and we needed to do both of the above.

The TJ Saganaw steering box seems to have a very poorly designed input
seal. It is a two piece adjusting plug that the steering and suspension
shop we went to for the new seal said 'fails all the time'. They gave
us an old style one piece adjusting plug to use instead of the stock
style one.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Gear Ratios Dad Corvette 5 March 25th 06 07:23 PM
95 Integra Steering Gear Boot Nick Honda 5 September 30th 05 11:27 AM
Power Steering Fluid boils over - steering works fine... How??? spareparts Technology 0 June 21st 05 03:29 PM
removing gear box Sven Agardh VW water cooled 1 January 17th 05 12:48 PM
Odd steering behavior - Any ideas/assistance? Don Bruder General 0 January 11th 04 09:54 PM