Cheapskate question

Old April 9th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Cheapskate question

After they got the new engine in my Jeep the check engine light came on.
Not really a big surprise, it's been doing that once in a while for
about the last 100,000 miles.

The put it on the scanner and it was the rear oxygen sensor, which costs
about $140.

My understanding is that sensor basically just tells the computer the
Cat is working, and it doesn't really effect the way the engine runs.

Now the cheapskate question. These sensors go bad because they have
deposits built up on them correct? Has anyone had any luck cleaning one
of these things? If I have to spend the money I'll spend the money...
after spending about 4 grand on an engine $140 isn't that much, but it's
STILL $140 bucks!

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt
Old April 9th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Jeff DeWitt did pass the time by typing:
> After they got the new engine in my Jeep the check engine light came on.
> Not really a big surprise, it's been doing that once in a while for
> about the last 100,000 miles.
>
> The put it on the scanner and it was the rear oxygen sensor, which costs
> about $140.
>
> My understanding is that sensor basically just tells the computer the
> Cat is working, and it doesn't really effect the way the engine runs.
>
> Now the cheapskate question. These sensors go bad because they have
> deposits built up on them correct? Has anyone had any luck cleaning one
> of these things? If I have to spend the money I'll spend the money...
> after spending about 4 grand on an engine $140 isn't that much, but it's
> STILL $140 bucks!

Sensors can't be cleaned. Chemical sprays kill them (RTV especially).
I have heard folks burn them clean with a acetylene torch. At any rate,
$140 is too much, chryslerpartsdirect.com has them for about $84 and
NAPA has them for $76 (BSH 13138)

Replaceing the sensor is a one-bannanna job. Take the old one out,
screw the new one in, and hook it up.

--
DougW

Old April 10th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The cheapest place on those sensors that I have seen is at
www.xtremeterrain.com

They have them for like $55.00!

NT

om...

Old April 14th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Wow, that is cheap! Have you or anyone else here done business with
them? Any idea if this a quality part or am I going to be replacing it
in a year?

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Nat Man wrote:
> The cheapest place on those sensors that I have seen is at
> www.xtremeterrain.com
>
> They have them for like $55.00!
>
> NT
>

> "Jeff DeWitt" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>After they got the new engine in my Jeep the check engine light came on.
>> Not really a big surprise, it's been doing that once in a while for
>>about the last 100,000 miles.
>>
>>The put it on the scanner and it was the rear oxygen sensor, which costs
>>about $140.
>>
>>My understanding is that sensor basically just tells the computer the
>>Cat is working, and it doesn't really effect the way the engine runs.
>>
>>Now the cheapskate question. These sensors go bad because they have
>>deposits built up on them correct? Has anyone had any luck cleaning one
>>of these things? If I have to spend the money I'll spend the money...
>>after spending about 4 grand on an engine $140 isn't that much, but it's
>>STILL $140 bucks!
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>Jeff DeWitt

Porsche 944 taillight question Nate Nagel Driving 73 January 28th 05 11:24 PM
Ignorant question. Jeepers Jeep 9 January 15th 05 05:42 AM
E34 question Vernon Balbert BMW 11 October 27th 04 01:37 PM
93 SL1 Valve Body - Question Gary Compton Saturn 3 September 3rd 04 05:58 PM