Need instructions for Driver side 1/4 floor pan replacement

Old January 5th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Need instructions for Driver side 1/4 floor pan replacement

The front driver side floor pan needs to be replaced in my Beetle, the
rest of the pan (from the back to under the driver seat) is fine. I
just need to replace the floor pan under my feet.

I have a whole driver side pan and I plan to cut out the front half and
have someone weld it in after I remove the rusted floor pan.

Is there a good website for this, I have found old websites that no
longer exist on this newsgroup. I have found websites detailing whole
driver/passenger side floor replacement with the body off. Can I
replace the front driver side floor pan without lifting the body and if
so is there a good reference online?

-Raul

Old January 5th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Hi Raul

It depends on how good a job you want to make ?

For a good strong and cheap repair, weld a patch taken from your new pan to
the underside of the old pan.

Otherwise there is a lot of dismantling, pedals have to come out, and
chopping of spot welds etc etc.

your brake line runs by your feet so be careful when welding either way.

If you want to go the hard way, let us know and we can help.

Rich

oups.com...

Old January 5th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On 5 Jan 2006 14:02:23 -0800, wrote:

>The front driver side floor pan needs to be replaced in my Beetle, the
>rest of the pan (from the back to under the driver seat) is fine. I
>just need to replace the floor pan under my feet.
>
>I have a whole driver side pan and I plan to cut out the front half and
>have someone weld it in after I remove the rusted floor pan.
>
>Is there a good website for this, I have found old websites that no
>longer exist on this newsgroup. I have found websites detailing whole
>driver/passenger side floor replacement with the body off. Can I
>replace the front driver side floor pan without lifting the body and if
>so is there a good reference online?
>
>-Raul

I'd check out the
www.bugmevideo.com videos on that subject - they
make the procedure very clear and it is the best money you'll spend on
information. You don't have to yank the body off. I isn't really
difficult but will take some hard work.

This link has stills from the video and is very informative:
http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/jul.htm

Remco
Old January 6th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

It seems like a helluva lot more work than just replacing the entire
pan half...