Diffence between tTiming belt manufacturers

Old June 3rd 05, 03:03 AM
Bo M. Hasselblad

Default Diffence between tTiming belt manufacturers

Time to change timing belt together with tensioner and idler on my
'96 155 with the 2 litre 16 valve Twin Spark.

Have found belts and other pieces from a vast variety of manufacturers
and am seeking advice. Is there any difference between them?

Have found Bilstein/FEBI, ContiTech, Dayco, Gates, GoodYear, Ruville,
MKG, Global, and the list goes on.

Which of these are Akfa using as OEM suppliers? In view of the poor
track record of OEM belts, are those the ones to avoid?

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

Thanks,
Bo
Sweden

Old June 4th 05, 11:11 AM
Esko Kauppinen

Bo M. Hasselblad wrote:
> Time to change timing belt together with tensioner and idler on my
> '96 155 with the 2 litre 16 valve Twin Spark.
>
> Have found belts and other pieces from a vast variety of manufacturers
> and am seeking advice. Is there any difference between them?
>
> Have found Bilstein/FEBI, ContiTech, Dayco, Gates, GoodYear, Ruville,
> MKG, Global, and the list goes on.
>
> Which of these are Akfa using as OEM suppliers? In view of the poor
> track record of OEM belts, are those the ones to avoid?
>
> Any and all thoughts appreciated!

Interesting question and I am also waiting to see if anybody would
have good answers but seems quiet.

I have also wondered that in this space age there are no belts which
would last longer on the engines. These breaking belts have altered
my opinion about Alfa Romeos engine engineering.

Esko
Finland
Old June 4th 05, 12:54 PM
Catman

Esko Kauppinen wrote:

> Bo M. Hasselblad wrote:
>> Time to change timing belt together with tensioner and idler on my
>> '96 155 with the 2 litre 16 valve Twin Spark.
>>
>> Have found belts and other pieces from a vast variety of manufacturers
>> and am seeking advice. Is there any difference between them?
>>
>> Have found Bilstein/FEBI, ContiTech, Dayco, Gates, GoodYear, Ruville,
>> MKG, Global, and the list goes on.
>>
>> Which of these are Akfa using as OEM suppliers? In view of the poor
>> track record of OEM belts, are those the ones to avoid?
>>
>> Any and all thoughts appreciated!

> Interesting question and I am also waiting to see if anybody would
> have good answers but seems quiet.

I really doubt there is much difference.

> I have also wondered that in this space age there are no belts which
> would last longer on the engines. These breaking belts have altered
> my opinion about Alfa Romeos engine engineering.

Why it's not *thatq* common. It's just seems like it because people don't
come on and say 'Wow! Another 20 thousand miles, and the belt's *fine*.
That's another £1000 that I don't have to spend'
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old June 4th 05, 04:10 PM
Esko Kauppinen

Catman wrote:
> Esko Kauppinen wrote:

>>I have also wondered that in this space age there are no belts which
>>would last longer on the engines. These breaking belts have altered
>>my opinion about Alfa Romeos engine engineering.

> Why it's not *thatq* common. It's just seems like it because people don't
> come on and say 'Wow! Another 20 thousand miles, and the belt's *fine*.
> That's another £1000 that I don't have to spend

I guess you are right and it seems that even Ferrari has the same
problems. But to change the belt every 3 years is crazy. I refused
to do it on my previous 156 2.0 end everything went well till it was
time to change it again (6 years).
Old June 4th 05, 04:50 PM
alfistagj

"Esko Kauppinen" > schreef in bericht
>These breaking belts have altered
> my opinion about Alfa Romeos engine engineering.

Professionally I'm very interested in this phenomenon.
Believe me, it's a general problem that's valid for ALL car/engine
manufacturers.
Most of them, and I know for sure Alfa/Fiat in front, are very activily
persuing the use of CHAINS again.
Oh, those good old days..........
All development is done in that direction hardly any in the belt problem.
The belt problem is now more or less solved by shortening the intervals and
being quite genereous in guarantee cases (??)

Chains virtually NEVER fail, but have 2 disadvantages:
1. Wear that results in a greater distance between the pivots, resulting in
off-timing and therefor a worse fuel efficiency and more polution; and tha's
what no one is looking for
2. Noise

It is a general feeling in the automotive world that within 10 years 80-90%
of all new engines will have NO belt, but a chain of some kind.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old June 4th 05, 04:54 PM
Catman

Esko Kauppinen wrote:

> Catman wrote:
>> Esko Kauppinen wrote:

>>>I have also wondered that in this space age there are no belts which
>>>would last longer on the engines. These breaking belts have altered
>>>my opinion about Alfa Romeos engine engineering.

>> Why it's not *thatq* common. It's just seems like it because people
>> don't
>> come on and say 'Wow! Another 20 thousand miles, and the belt's *fine*.
>> That's another £1000 that I don't have to spend

> I guess you are right and it seems that even Ferrari has the same
> problems. But to change the belt every 3 years is crazy. I refused
> to do it on my previous 156 2.0 end everything went well till it was
> time to change it again (6 years).

Well, I'm not sure I'd take that risk, but each to their own
Old June 4th 05, 11:12 PM
simon

having used the same type of belt in industry....on machine tools...
I'd add...(from the same maunufacturer)
some break..(all too quickly)..some don't...
contamination (oil / water /etc) has a big effect..

SS