VW Beetle cooling

Old April 26th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default VW Beetle cooling

Hi group,

I am looking to buy a beetle but am confused on whether what the owner
has done to the beetle is good or bad for it.

He has essentially capped off the Fan housing air outputs to the heat
vents. (I can send a picture) And also there is no hose from the
intake cleaner for preheated air.

Does this actually help to keep the car cool? Or would it run hotter?
Do you think there is a problem with the engine overheating?

The owner has recently rebuilt the engine (<1000 miles) and says that
this is the best way to break it in.

Thanks for any help!

Old April 26th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"He has essentially capped off the Fan housing air outputs to the heat
vents. (I can send a picture) And also there is no hose from the
intake cleaner for preheated air. "

I've capped off the heater box outlets in the past without any ill
effects, but I don't think there is any gain to doing this..especially
if this guy did not cover the holes in the rear tin where the tubes
pass through. Leaving those holes open will probably make the engine
run hotter than normal since the heated air blown through the engine
will likely be recirculated via those openings.

The pre-heat tube to the aircleaner is designed to feed warm air to
the carburetor immediately following a cold start. I would hook it back
up, as it will make the car run noticeably better in cool weather.

Chris