BUSHING and a new starter, what am i suppose to do!

Old July 8th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Default BUSHING and a new starter, what am i suppose to do!

Just got a new starter for my 68 beetle, 1776cc dual carb.

Got the old starter out finally and am not trying to figure out how to
put the new one in....

**Here is what I understand:

I need to take out the old bushing IN the hole where my new starter
will insert and intall the new, lubricated bushing into that hole.

**here is what I DONT understand:

How to I take out the old one the easiest way? And, how do I put the
new one in?

Also...how long do starter's usually last?

Thanks for any and all suggestions,
Katie

Old July 9th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
One out of many Daves

Hi Katie,
Are you sure that you need a new starter bushing?
Either you have a tool designed to remove the bushing or you use a tap that
will tap into that bushing and then continue to screw it out.
Then you carefully can tap the new one in using something that will not
deform the bushing. There are some bushing install tools not too far from
you Harbor Freight tools.

Some Bosch starters that are being sold are not coming with a new bushing.
wierd!
Starters can last for decades. I just replaced the one in my everday
vehicle after 23 years and 235K+ miles. ;-)

--
later,
dave

oups.com...

Old July 9th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dragenwagen

true. most of the time the copper bar in the solenoid will corode and thats
what will cause the starter not to work. or with starters that are getting
old, the high current side of the contacts will be so worn that it doesnt
make contact any more.

and yes Autozone actually has a note in their data base not to bench test
starters from aircooled beetles, as they have no internal bearing, and it
can screw it up.

dw

Old July 10th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Or if you can, take that starter back and ask for one from the same
year, but autositck. It's a self supporting starter, and doesn't need a
bushing in the bellhousing.

91 Civic Lower at Dr. Side Front... Elle Honda 15 May 28th 06 06:11 AM
starter problems 90 VW jetta diesel Siddall VW water cooled 4 January 28th 06 07:53 PM
starter bushing Cos VW water cooled 1 February 27th 05 08:45 PM
starter bushing issues Cos VW water cooled 2 February 26th 05 11:13 PM
Shifter Bushing Randall Brink VW air cooled 13 February 24th 05 02:10 AM